NEurope
Cube

New Facebook Messaging System - Will "Kill email"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/8135633/Facebook-says-new-messaging-service-will-make-email-addresses-obsolete.html

Essentially, the features for this are

- It combines your IMs, Facebook Messages, emails and texts in one place.

- You can reply to one using another (sending a text to someone ending you an email).

- It tries to prioritise stuff (like Google Mail).

Essentially, it's a way to give every single detail of your personal life to Facebook.

Personally, I see no reason for this. Everything is already on my phone and I can already respond using a different method. However, doing so just seems wrong and incredibly rude - if someone sends a text then they expect a text in reply.

Personally, I see no reason for this. Everything is already on my phone and I can already respond using a different method. However, doing so just seems wrong and incredibly rude - if someone sends a text then they expect a text in reply.

You've missed the point. Whatever you reply to a message as, it will appear to them the same way as they sent it.

Example:

You SMS me.

I reply by email.

You get an SMS.

I think it's great and a logical step forward. It won't replace email as people won't want to change their address etc but for communicating on Facebook it will be fantastic. It could really change how people use Facebook, on their computers, and when out and about.

Facebook have shown that they're constant innovators on the web and this seems to be another great product from them.

Yeah, sounds wonderful in my ears.. Although, they should make seperate applications / apps / gadgets / widgets for every platform (mobile or desktop), because to me it sounds to useful to be confined to Facebook (I have the Star Wars mafia in my mind, I wanted to type Spacebook). I'm not an active Facebook user (at least not now), but this is something that's handy to have running on the background constantly.

It does sound useful, but do we really want to give Facebook all of our data. Facebook is prone to hackers, and technically a security hazard.

I'm not against it, but i do prefer using my phone for texts, my computer for e-mails and both for Facebook. Do i really want to have it all in one place, where i can e-mail/text people on Facebook and recieve it all back. Do i really want to just log into one site and remain there all the time??. Not really, i'll stick to what i have like many people will. I do know a few people excited about this, and will be eager to get their mitts into it.

It does sound useful, but do we really want to give Facebook all of our data. Facebook is prone to hackers, and technically a security hazard.

I'm not against it, but i do prefer using my phone for texts, my computer for e-mails and both for Facebook. Do i really want to have it all in one place, where i can e-mail/text people on Facebook and recieve it all back. Do i really want to just log into one site and remain there all the time??. Not really, i'll stick to what i have like many people will. I do know a few people excited about this, and will be eager to get their mitts into it.

This. More fun to use different kinds of methods to contact people, and also more safe when all information isn't gathered in one place.

I heard recently that if you use Facebook over public Wifi, anyone can easily hack your account. I don't want that with my email and phone.

Anything sent over a public WiFi (i.e. without security) can be intercepted.

Google uses https for gmail and stuff, so any cookies etc it sends you is encrypted. I think they are safe.

I hate when companies, such as Facebook are here, say "we'll make x,y,z obsolete".

No. Just no. Not everyone I know is on Facebook and the same is true of everyone. Stop thinking everyone loves you.

Did they actually say that they're going to make email obsolete? The example I was given was that they want Facebook to bring all of your ways of communicating together in one place in a similar way to how Fring handles IM.

No. The explicitly said that was not their goal. Their goal was to simply bring every type of text-based communication together. This includes mail. So it's not replacing it, rather, mail is one of the parts of it.

I assume there won't be any point convincing Ashley on this one, but in order to use this, the people you're communicating with don't need Facebook. The example they used was someone getting a mail from their grandmother. You receive it as a Facebook message, i.e there's no disctinction being made between mails, text messages and IMs etc., but when you respond, your grandmother will receive a mail back.

Ah my bad. Although I can't see me using it anyway. I have facebook and gmail (two of them) open together anyway, and my phone.

Although what I would like from facebook first - to fix the bloody chat.

Although what I would like from facebook first - to fix the bloody chat.

It also needs a group chat. And a way to simply disable features - such as groups, pokes, apps, etc. All the annoying junk.

The Queen can't be poked. I'd imagine they now won't let us normal people not be pokeable :heh:

The Queen can't be poked. I'd imagine they now won't let us normal people not be pokeable :heh:

She doesn't have a Facebook account - all the fuss was over a creation of a "Fan Page".

It also needs a group chat. And a way to simply disable features - such as groups, pokes, apps, etc. All the annoying junk.

There is group chat within the new style Facebook Groups, it's conversations are saved so that people who aren't in the chat can catch up on it later. We use it for a uni project so we can talk about things easily. The new style groups are so much better and easier to use.

The old groups "Charlie likes 'the awkward moment when..'" etc are annoying and need to go.

http://www.fbpurity.com - if you install that you can hide groups and things like that from your news feed.

Edited by Charlie