N-Europe

New Partridge, New Danger

Grazza

My all-time favourite comedy character, Alan Partridge, has finally returned. I began to realise how brilliant he was in 1994 with Knowing Me, Knowing You, specifically when Joe Beasley (John Thompson) appeared onstage with "Cheeky Monkey". I was laughing round the supermarket the next day!

Then, in 1997, Steve Coogan & co turned it into a sitcom, I'm Alan Partridge, which was even better. The scene with "The Mentalist" made me laugh so much I fell off my bed, and it also added a new word to the dictionary. Series 2 aired in 2002 and was just as funny, especially when he became friends with Dan ("Dan! Dan!") and recreated The Spy Who Loved Me. Now, after seven years, he is back, with 12-minute sketches for Fosters.

Despite the anticipation, I found myself easily laughing out loud. It's well worth a watch if you like character. (Sorry, I can't embed it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrpgmJxx0E

Need to get on this. In related news, anyone watched the first The Trip? Coogan and Brydon. Good watch.

Yeah, some lovely lines in that, although I'm pretty sure they'd be even funnier if they were delivered by Alan Partridge!

"I want to be in films. Good films."

"I was abused by priests. Not sexually, they just used to punch me."