NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guy

Alien Trilogy on Blu-Ray

alien-anthology.jpg

"Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew, Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash and Captain Dallas, are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up. This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off."

---

That's right guys, the spectacular Alien Trilogy and some other movie I'm ignoring have finally hit, completely remastered and looking pretty darn sweet on the Blu-rays.

These three movies, in their extended directors cut/workprint versions represent one of cinema's strongest female characters kicking serious ass against one of cinema's most horrifying monsters.

Alien gives us a terrifying look at a stranded crew dealing with an unknown threat slowly wiping them all out. Aliens gives us a tidal wave of action, memorable characters and one of the finest physical effects sequences to date. Alien 3 gives us tragedy and it's aftermath, drawing on themes present in both previous Alien movies. Alien Resurrection gives us nothing and we give it nothing in return.

These movies are exemplary and I will be grabbing this set and shoving it into the front of my pants on Friday. Anyone else picking them up? I figure we could use this thread to discuss this excellent release and the movies themselves? Anyone for a bug hunt?

Edited by Guy

so... how long till this is remade in 3d? Or do we have to wait for true lies and terminator 2 to be made first :)

I saw this advertised in Blockbuster. I'm somewhat dissapointed by the loss of the word "Quadrilogy". Even though it's a made up word.

If I had a blu-ray player and excess money I'd buy this. But as it is I have the Quadrilogy, which is good enough.

Kinda regret having it on DVD, let alone attempting to get it on blu-ray.

so... how long till this is remade in 3d? Or do we have to wait for true lies and terminator 2 to be made first :)

True Lies in 3D does sound like a good venture. Especially "You're Fired." at the end.

I really enjoyed the three films (Aliens, 3 and Resurrection). I'll probably get this if it becomes cheap like the DVD box sets.

Very purdy. But i can't bring myself to spend money on it, when i have the Quadrilogy.

Alien is brilliant. The atmosphere is amazing, helped by the huge sets and spooky music. It's brilliantly directed, right down to the way the stasis pods open in a hexagon.

Aliens is not as good, but it's good enough, and it reminds me of my teenage years. The main monster in it is one of Stan Winston's best creations.

So, I would certainly like to see those two on Blu-ray. You like Alien 3 though, Scoop? :heh:

Alien 3 gives us tragedy and it's aftermath, drawing on themes present in both previous Alien movies. Alien Resurrection gives us nothing and we give it nothing in return.
For whatever reason I hadn't seen Alien 3 until it was on TV quite recently, I thought it was an absolute snore fest and gave up probably half way through.

If little else at least Resurrestion is watchable and vaguely entertaining.

For whatever reason I hadn't seen Alien 3 until it was on TV quite recently, I thought it was an absolute snore fest and gave up probably half way through.

If little else at least Resurrestion is watchable and vaguely entertaining.

I really like Alien 3. It's a great combination of the things that made Alien and Aliens work so well. If you ever get a chance to watch the assembly cut, which is notably different than the original, please give it a shot.

Notable differences include: No dog alien as it gestates inside a weird ox-like creature native to that planet, more about the inmates and their weird religion and no shitty chestburst at the end when Ripley falls down into the lead. They even trap the Xenomorph at one point, but a particularly mental inmate releases it again.

The Alien franchise is mostly about Ellen Ripley as a character for me. Much more so than the monsters and effects as awesome as they often are. Seeing her character get ripped to pieces in Resurrection is the reason it sucks so terribly. Don't even mention the ridiculous hybrid.

Alien 3 also has the amazing "You've been in my life so long, I can't remember anything else." quote.

Edited by Guy

Alien 3 gets too much stick - it's good, in it's own way. NOT as good as the incomparable Alien/Aliens, but yeah.

And Ressurection is shit, but in a great way.

Alien 3 gets too much stick - it's good, in it's own way. NOT as good as the incomparable Alien/Aliens, but yeah.

And Ressurection is shit, but in a great way.

Oh yeah, there is definitely comedy in Resurrection. Just not the way the creators intended. If you mute it and just basically do retarded sounding voiceovers for every human character, then dignified gentlemen for the Xenomorphs, it's surprisingly fun.

Sign in to follow this