NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowV7

Immersion In Games

So had some random thoughts earlier and how immersed you can get when playing games, and it got me thinking, when was the last time I was actually properly immersed playing a video game intead of playing it just for entertainment?

There are all sorts of ways to get immersed. For instance, say we're at the big climatic boss battle of the game. We know we have to beat this guy, she/he's done bad things to the world etc, but do you ever feel you have to kill him/her? You want to stop him/her from taking over/destroying the world instead of just being given the task to save the day? That you had some sort of intensity while playing and fighting for the greater good that failure wasn't an option? So much so that perhaps you're sitting on the edge of your seat while the showdown occurs? And the setting and the music just adds to complete the atmosphere? And if you've ever felt this way, what games would those be and why?

What made you hate the person you need to defeat that it goes beyond just having to beat them, that you desired their demise? Let's take some examples for instance.

Being a Wii discussion board, lets take Ganondorf from OOT for example. Okay so we know he's a bad guy since we pretty much just get told what he's done and some results of his actions, but we never really see him physically do anything. No havoc or destruction. We just know it. So we just go "Okay", and go along with the ride. But then we have the likes of Sephiroth. We see him actually killing Aeries, making players go "You bloody ba*****!!", so that gives us some motive to want to kill him, we got to see him do something atrocious and you're emotions is that of the main player. That's the kind of thing i'm after here to discuss.

In a lot of RPGs where a plot makes the game, that kind of immersion and perhaps intensity can be pretty hard to find. The big bad guy of the game is either sometimes hidden to be used as a plot twist later on(i.e, 'Tales of..' games) or perhaps used as a mastermind that's been behind the guy you've been after for so long (i.e 'Dragon Quest IV/VIII' , Twilight Princess) or just some guy you're trying to stop from being resurrected/unsealed from a war long ago. But what makes us want to beat the true antagonist of the game?

This is what i've thought about over the past couple of hours, so I wonder, have any of you ever been in this position? Actually wanting to kill/hating the bad guy so much you won't rest till the task is done? That actually goes beyond just entertainment. What have they actually done to deserve you're anger and hatred?

This is more of the topic of plot immersion instead of gameplay immersion when you get absolutely sucked into the game (Melee/Brawl/Street Fighter) Anyway I hope this is clear enough to have a good discussion on this. SO what say you N-E?

The most I've ever been immersed into a game is Metroid Prime... everything oozes atmophere in that game, so mch so that it pulls you into the game world and keeps you there! I really felt like I was on Tallon IV!

The last time I was really immersed in a game was probably Twilight Princess. I remember Ganondorf holding aloft Midna's mask and then breaking it... it drove me mad! I was so upset, I just HAD to defeat him!

There's tonnes I could write about but I'll just mention these two. Metroid Prime for the level of immersion it gave and Twilight Princess because it was the most recent game where I've really been emotionally effected by a game.

...special mention goes to Eternal Darkness and it's sanity effects for making me think my Gamecube broke too! Haha

In anticipation of Deus Ex 3, I'm playing Deus Ex 2 right now, the one I haven't played up to this point. Yes, gameplay wise, it's inferior, I knew before I even started the game, but I wanted to play through the story, and that's definitely still Deus Ex. I've spoiled myself ahead a little bit.. And I really, really, don't like any of the options they've given me :D. I'm sure they've done that on purpose, because I really don't feel good about a decision I have to make in a fictional gameworld, so well done. I haven't made up my mind yet, but

I'll probably just follow my hero from the first game, eventhough I'm personally leaning towards the Templar ideas. It's just that, and I've spoiled myself ahead a bit again, the Templars seem a bit to extremist for their cause.

Also, the first Deus Ex made sure I didn't want to kill a single person in that game ever again, and it carried through to this game. Haven't made a single kill myself, although some got caught in firefights.

Would you like to read my dissertation? It's pretty much an analysis on immersion in video games. I think I'd have to email it. Since I'm not sure if a spoiler tag can contain 17,285 words. Although it could be shortened by taking the bibliography out.

Being a Wii discussion board, lets take Ganondorf from OOT for example. Okay so we know he's a bad guy since we pretty much just get told what he's done and some results of his actions, but we never really see him physically do anything. No havoc or destruction. We just know it. So we just go "Okay", and go along with the ride.

You do see him being a meanie in Twilight Princess though.

Immersion is extremely important to me, at least through gameplay, if not plot.

The villain I've most passionately hated is Revolver Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid: the Twin Snakes. The fact that he tortures you is, to me, beyond the pale. You, the protagonist, are made to feel like a helpless prisoner, which you are, as you can't progress through the game as you'd like at that point. Up until then, I had been playing the game as humanely as possible, tranquilising guards. When I got free, though, I used the utmost force, which I suppose makes the game very clever in what is has to say about violence.

However, I'm not sure that feeling of hatred is particularly a good thing. It didn't make the game more immersive to me, it just made me more passionate. Even with classic novels I find the immersion really comes from the detail, the general vibe and the rapport between characters rather than the plot, necessarily. I'm thinking of the great atmosphere Arthur Conan Doyle could create when Holmes and Watson were waiting for a villain on a dark night, for example.

The last game I found truly immersive was Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2. The storytelling was straightforward and the characters down to earth. Doulmagus was an enigmatic villain, creating havoc as he waltzed around the world, his actions noted by the villagers. It particularly stood out how terrified people were when they saw him walk across the sea, even though that scene is not depicted except as an anecdote. Yangus, too, was a charming character and it was touching to have the loyalty of such a thuggish bandit. Then there was the irascible king, the spoilt brat and the princess who longed to be turned back to her true form.

I can't mention Dragon Quest VIII without praising the spellbinding soundtrack. Sad scenes were accompanied by sad songs, romantic scenes with romantic songs. I put on the CD whilst I was playing Dragon Quest IX and it brought back all the memories.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to match Dragon Quest VIII this generation, but I very much hope I do one day.

To be honest, I don't think I ever feel totally immersed in a game :hmm:

You say, Grazza, that you hated Revolver Ocelot passionately during Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes but I actually liked him.. probably because he loved to reload during a battle :grin: I can't say I ever really felt strongly against him about being tortured because it was just part of a game and I guess my head just differentiates these events from reality. It really is a hell of a game though and I've played through it many times on PS1 and GC :yay:

The only time I really feel hatred for a character is if there is some severe frustration in trying to defeat them.. a problem I currently face in Golden Sun :angry: If I don't manage to get past it, I'll feel like I wasted the 16 hours reaching this point..

Anyway, I hope Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will suck me in when I play it around Halloween, but I always feel as if I'm controlling a character through these adventures as opposed to actually being the character.

I have been known to go through entire games and films without ever latching onto the names of many of the characters. For instance, I'm also playing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers at the minute and although I feel like I'm nearing the end, I couldn't even tell you the name of the bad guy despite running into him in my last play session yesterday evening :indeed: Come to think of it, what is the wee Selkie girl called? :red:

I never had that problem with Metal Gear Solid, though.. probably because the names are often outrageous and each character is brimming with style..

Edited by nekunando

I can't say I ever really felt strongly against him about being tortured because it was just part of a game and I guess my head just differentiates these events from reality.

I only felt dislike towards him within the context of the game, of course. In fact, I found it hard to think of an example, because I don't normally take villains seriously at all, but he really is a loathsome character.

(Goes off to fight Revolver Ocelot...!)

Games where I was involved and immersed with the plot? Let's see:

-Tales of Symphonia was one. Thanks mostly to the characters. The skit dynamic, small gameplay-related quirks (like Cooking), the several plot twists and long storyline manage to grab you, send you on a journey, and by the time you reach the Tower of Salvation, you're completely hooked.

Many Tales games reach this effect, though.

-Final Fantasies tend to fall into this. Special mentions go to FFV (simple, basic, but you end up genuinely caring for these characters. Especially Galuf, who stole the role of "Team Leader" due to sheer awesomeness) and FFIX (the main setting is assisted by a colourful cast. The result is very compelling)

-Chrono Trigger features memorable characters and fast-paced storytelling. It grabs you at some point and never lets go.

-Majora's Mask. As many of you know, the game was pretty much designed to make you care about every NPC around. It's no wonder we want to stop that Moon so badly.

-Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time are the most memorable of the traditional Zelda stories, though. Wind Waker because of the colourful setting, world and NPCs. OoT because the whole seven-year gap allows you to see the post-apocalyptic world in a whole new, personal light.

-Link's Awakening should also be mentioned due to the nature of its plot, even if it's a simple one.

-The Ace Attorney series is completely driven by plot. Other games try this, but only those with the mystery, drama and charm of Phoenix Wright can be memorable.

-Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is an interesting one. The game is non-linear, and the path that the main character follows is determined by how often the player chooses to take "the easy way" in the harder battles. If you end up controlling the most detestable character/faction in the game, it's your own damn fault.

-Portal is a masterful 2-hour game made of a simple, but brilliantly immersive plot.

-Fire Emblem 7 is the most immersive of the Fire Emblems. Not only is the plot extensive, your huge army is made of several interesting characters. The support option makes this game what it is.

-Skies of Arcadia is compelling from start to finish. Basically because the main plot is so cheery and it never gets repetitive. There's always something new for you to care about.

-Metroid Prime leaves storytelling to its scans, while the player explores the world around all by him/herself. It works pretty well, actually. It certainly gives you the feeling that you're unravelling the plot yourself, instead of it being fed to you like a movie.

-Golden Sun and Lost Age get special mentions because they're more about exploration than the main plot (Reading the minds of NPCs is awesome). But even the main plot is oddly memorable, for some reason.

Sign in to follow this