NEurope
Debug Mode

Live Messenger being a very naughty boy

Okay, this has happened several times using the new 2011 messenger and it's really pissing me off..

I add a contact, they don't receive my invitation. In return, I ask them to add me, I don't receive their invitation. What fucking gives? This has happened to several people now, I've uninstalled, reinstalled, updated to newer versions, reverted to older versions.. Still no luck.

What the hell gives? I'm also hating this new msn's lay out and removal of display names..

If any one can help, I'd be daaamn grateful!

Stealing your thread - just downloaded WLM 2011 after seeing this thread. Can't figure out how to talk with Facebook Chat on it? I've clicked the button to give it permission but can't see my contacts anywhere?

I managed to save my old Essentials/Messenger install stuff. So when i updated to 2011, and discovered it was crap (as it was in the beta) i could re-install the previous version. If only they listened, because the only thing missing from the new messenger is "Nick-names". That is what is holding me back from updating this time around.

Stealing your thread - just downloaded WLM 2011 after seeing this thread. Can't figure out how to talk with Facebook Chat on it? I've clicked the button to give it permission but can't see my contacts anywhere?

You could DO such a thing? My god sir, are you a wizard?

Well, a fallen wizard...

It's pointless anyways, it loads up your web browser and logs into facebook to chat to them!!!

It's pointless anyways, it loads up your web browser and logs into facebook to chat to them!!!

Really? That sucks.

From the pictures on the website you can chat as if it's a normal MSN conversation..

Windows Live messenger has really really gone downhill lately... I suppose that's what you get for a free service.

I've had people being deleted off my account, and not adding people (or sometimes delayed adding...wtf) and some days my account wont even sign in... but I refuse to use fb chat because it is SO SO SO goddamn awful.

I only use skype now, msn is such a pain and it's definitely not user-friendly anymore.

I just upgraded to the new messenger out of interest, I quite like the direction they've gone in. It fits in with Xbox Live and has a design akin to the new Windows Mobile 7.

That said, I also no longer really use Live Messenger. Back in the ol' MSN days when I was but a humble KNEE member and AFI fanboy, I used to be on there all day, in dozens of conversations. Now my list is just full of 90 grey names and 10 green ones I don't want to talk to. I'd probably have stopped using it altogether if it wasn't a good way to chat to N-E staff (very occasionally) and my Dad.

We use Skype at work, and although it doesn't have many fun features, it's certainly the more robust program. And advert free too, which is a plus.

Edit: I'm sorry to go all censorship on you but I just had to tone that title down :heh: Haters gonna hate.

Edited by Shorty

I'm not a full user no more, as in i'm online but don't chat to everyone as i used to. Mainly chat to NE members and old mates when they come on really, thats about it.

I don't use FB chat, mainly because it is crap, buggy and horrendous

Yeh.. the new 2011 version is horrible :eek:

The new Messenger just got installed on my system (Windows did it, not me). Thankfully i have a fully licensed Trillian Messenger and i can continue using Nick-names and all that.

The new Messenger just got installed on my system (Windows did it, not me). Thankfully i have a fully licensed Trillian Messenger and i can continue using Nick-names and all that.

I uninstalled it after about 5 minutes of checking it out and went back to the old one :heh:

Windows Update keeps wanting me to take it but I have to make sure I don't accidentally accept :indeed:

I uninstalled it after about 5 minutes of checking it out and went back to the old one :heh:

Windows Update keeps wanting me to take it but I have to make sure I don't accidentally accept :indeed:

The unfortunate thing is, you can't unselect Messenger as one of the packs in the Essentials 2011. But you can, if you download it manually via the site.