N-Europe

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Zechs Merquise

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some info from other forums:

- There will be DLC and that means we will be getting the map packs, says so in the manual.

- The graphics are the same as MWR, but more colourful.

- Whilst we don't get killcams or theatre mode, we DO get the camera spike (awesome)

More will be posted as it comes in!

More Wii footage:

Low quality again, sorry!

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Just got home from work and waiting for me in the kitchen was a Wii copy of Black Ops from GAME. :wink:

Just doing the system update now while having a quick snack, then I'm gonna jump into online mode (if I can) and play a bit of the campaign if I have time. Will post some thoughts later. Good thing I finished Goldeneye last night!

First thing first, the game looks fine. Not as detailed as Modern Warfare Reflex perhaps, but better than some other titles. You'll probably wish that the graphics are better during the Campaign, but the majority of us Wii COD fans will be spending our time online where the graphics are perfectly acceptable IMO.

Very impressed with the online multiplayer, especially Zombie mode which is allready proving addictive. There's a whole heap of modes and options to mess around with. Can't wait to get into this properly and unlock Tactical matches - only been able to play TDM so far. Matches run very smoothly and the maps seem to be bigger than the one's in previous games. Not heard anyone on voice chat yet, but I can confirm that Wii Speak doesn't work so looks like those of us who haven't ordered the exclusive headset will have to head over to the Games Basement. I havent even spent 2 hours with this game yet, but I can safely say it's going to be the best online shooter on the Wii hands down.

Edited by welsh_gamer
Automerged Doublepost

Just got home from work and waiting for me in the kitchen was a Wii copy of Black Ops from GAME. :wink:

Just doing the system update now while having a quick snack, then I'm gonna jump into online mode (if I can) and play a bit of the campaign if I have time. Will post some thoughts later. Good thing I finished Goldeneye last night!

First thing first, the game looks fine. Not as detailed as Modern Warfare Reflex perhaps, but better than some other titles. You'll probably wish that the graphics are better during the Campaign, but the majority of us Wii COD fans will be spending our time online where the graphics are perfectly acceptable IMO.

Very impressed with the online multiplayer, especially Zombie mode which is allready proving addictive. There's a whole heap of modes and options to mess around with. Can't wait to get into this properly and unlock Tactical matches - only been able to play TDM so far. Matches run very smoothly and the maps seem to be bigger than the one's in previous games. Not heard anyone on voice chat yet, but I can confirm that Wii Speak doesn't work so looks like those of us who haven't ordered the exclusive headset will have to head over to the Games Basement. I havent even spent 2 hours with this game yet, but I can safely say it's going to be the best online shooter on the Wii hands down.

System Update?

Does it change the firmware number?

Hope it doesn't effect the HBC.

The shop I ordered it from is having a Midnight launch, but I can't go... even if I did I'd only be going straight to bed when I get home anyway, so gonna pick it up at lunch time tomorrow and hope the rest of the day passes fast so I can get home. I just hope the store don't forget to keep my copy aside and not sell it by mistake :heh:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The graphics are nice, very nice considering it's on the Wii and the amount of stuff going on. I have got to the fourth mission of the campaign and the graphics seem to get better with each mission! The third mission is utterly epic, especially the end, I won't spoil it for anyone, but I can say it is great and I doubt many would think the Wii could handle it. It does not stack up to the 360 and PS3 versions, but for a Wii game it's great. Noticed the odd hiccup with frames, but only when everything goes off in one environment on the third mission. And when I say EVERYTHING goes off I mean it. Stuff is blowing up, bullets are flying, there is a full on fire fight between two factions, fires rage, explosions go off and smoke rises. It's impressive.

The controls are superb and the amount of customisation is insane. If you are a WAW or MWR veteran everything will feel great and you can programme the game depending on your preference from the last game you played - so it will say MWR style or W@W style!

I couldn't connect to the online, neither could Kav but we could connect to Zombies, and had a brief go. It runs smoothly and I hosted the game and there was no lag and it looked good. Friend Codes are gone and now you have the Ally system. The way it is laid out allows you to add people, view requests for adds and to edit your lists. At a glance it seems better than friend codes and more inline with what was offered with Monster Hunter.

Overall, so far I'm loving it. I don't usually enjoy the COD singleplayer campaign that much but this one seems to be fantastic, I really enjoyed the third mission A LOT. The overall presentation of the package is great, cutscenes and cinemas are great too. This seems like a lesson in how third party support should be done.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

I've not played the campaign just yet but myself and Zechs did manage to get on the online multiplayer in the end. All I have to say is GET IT!

It's brilliant, the ally system is fantastic, you can look through who you have recently played with and send them ally invites etc... it really does work a treat!

[N-E] Kav82

Edited by Kav

So internet poster makes internet post saying "Wii game looks like a PSP game" and it gets its own article on CVG?

Yeah, it's stupid. But I noticed this in the comments:

This a quote from the same guy on neogaf.

"Whoa guys, second level in the prison looks great. I may have pre-judged this one. Maybe Treyarch have something against making good looking 1st levels?"

MULTIPLAYER IMPRESSIONS:

This is where it is at! It's just fantastic. It looks really nice. And plays really well. It's very smooth and I seemed to get off to a good start, I only played two maps. One of them was on a firing range, which had moving targets which made things very confusing at first as you see movement and you want to shoot. It also had great effects where dust was sweeping through the level. The second level I played was the snowy one that was shown in the first trailer. It was again a good map and I managed to bring out a couple of napalm strikes :)

My impressions as a seasoned COD Wii gamer (over 500 hours and counting lol) is that Treyarch seemed to have scaled things back from MW2 (I have the PC version). The maps don't seem as complicated, instead they have a better 'flow' like they had in WAW and MWR. Things feel fast and smooth and for anyone who has played COD on the Wii before it feels very familiar.

My headset has been dispatched and should arrive today, so I will give impressions of the chat later.

EDIT: DIRECT FEED FOOTAGE:

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Someone very kindly posted instructions to change the controls to MWR style in GoldenEye in the GoldenEye thread the other day and they're perfect. However, I've never played MWR so what setting would these be in Black Ops? Is there a profile name for it?

The default 'Alpha' setting is the one I use, it's pretty spot on. But if you're new to it the best thing to do is tinker around and find what's good for you.

Thanks to Boomstick for the great videos, that's an awesome capture card you've got there, it really shows the game off well! Keep 'em coming, I want everyone to see level 3, it's incredible :)

Thanks to Boomstick for the great videos, that's an awesome capture card you've got there, it really shows the game off well! Keep 'em coming, I want everyone to see level 3, it's incredible :)

You're welcome. One more vid before I take a nap :zzz:

Gameplay 3

I've got some info from other forums:

- There will be DLC and that means we will be getting the map packs, says so in the manual.

- The graphics are the same as MWR, but more colourful.

- Whilst we don't get killcams or theatre mode, we DO get the camera spike (awesome)

Looks like there are some other omissions according to people on other forums:

- No camera spike

- Missing killstreaks (gunship, chopper gunner and v rockets)

- Possibly missing player and gun customisation (face paint, coloured dot sights/lens and

- Missing secret bonus game (a 2d top down shooter twin stick shooter).

Can anyone with the game confirm the above.

First review of Black Ops Wii from ONM, they give is 90%, the same as they gave Goldeneye:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=21287

Been playing online all aft with Kafv, it's fantastic! My headset arrived today too and it's a real quality build, haven't tried it out yet though.

Looks like there are some other omissions according to people on other forums:

- No camera spike

- Missing killstreaks (gunship, chopper gunner and v rockets)

- Possibly missing player and gun customisation (face paint, coloured dot sights/lens and

- Missing secret bonus game (a 2d top down shooter twin stick shooter).

Can anyone with the game confirm the above.

As for missing bits, I can confirm that the camera spike (which was previously said to be in the Wii version on other forums), Gunship, Chopper Gunner and V Rockets are missing.

I don't know about anything else.

Sigh. Not in any shop here.

• Local games shop: BO listed on their release date calender, but no mention of the Wii version in their catalogue or even preorders

• Supermarket #1: The clerk said that "yes, it came for all platforms", but that the Wii games must have sold out already since there were none in the shelf. However, I suspect they didn't even get any Wii copies, since there was a whole rack full of the other versions, and no Black Ops price tag anywhere in the Wii shelf.

• Supermarket #2: They got all versions except the PC and Wii ones for some reason. Expecting them any day.

• Supermarkets #3 and #4: No Wii version.

• Gamestop: Apparently some copies in the next delivery, should arrive by end of the week.

Well, after looking at several Finnish web stores...most of them now have the release date listed as the Friday next week, 19.11...darn. Some stores don't even have the Wii version listed at all...Thus not so sure if Gamestop will actually get any copies this week, but guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Epic fail on my part

Went after work to Morrisons ("It's not out on the Wii"), independent games store (sorry, didn't order any for wii) then Blockbusters (that'll be £40)

So I'm still without the game.

I assume you got it now though... you have an Ally Code posted on the online board?

The single player I'm enjoying did I think 5 levels before trying out the online.

Story is fairly different too from the regular army game.

Was also surprised the lack of a training level at the start like in MWR just thrown right into the thick of it.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The graphics are nice, very nice considering it's on the Wii and the amount of stuff going on. I have got to the fourth mission of the campaign and the graphics seem to get better with each mission! The third mission is utterly epic, especially the end, I won't spoil it for anyone, but I can say it is great and I doubt many would think the Wii could handle it. It does not stack up to the 360 and PS3 versions, but for a Wii game it's great. Noticed the odd hiccup with frames, but only when everything goes off in one environment on the third mission. And when I say EVERYTHING goes off I mean it. Stuff is blowing up, bullets are flying, there is a full on fire fight between two factions, fires rage, explosions go off and smoke rises. It's impressive.

Is that

The begining of the jailbreak bit, man that was epic.... would have been more epic had I not died so many time too, haha.... Think I'm playing on regular... might dail down to recruit :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!