N-Europe

Music Progs

nightwolf

LOL @ SONIC STAGE????? I think they've discontinued that. I don't know how you manage to put up with that DuD.

If you want an itunes like experience try double twist: http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

If you just need a decent everyday media player there is:

Song bird: http://www.getsongbird.com/ (lovely UI)

I hear people always talking about foobar2000: http://www.foobar2000.org/

And you can always rely on good old winamp: http://www.winamp.com/

All of which have had an overhaul since I last looked so check em out.

Edited by Ten10
School boy error - grammar police

foobar2000 is the best audio player there is.

1. It's so lightweight you'll wonder how you managed to put up with iTunes' start-up time and slug-like interface for so long.

2. Replaygain takes all songs to the same volume. (Think there might be a similar thing in iTunes too though).

3. Monitors your library folder so you don't have to drag and drop new stuff in to your library or manually delete stuff when you delete the file.

4. Is awesome for renaming/moving/transcoding.

5. Very customisable. Loads of themes, lots of add-ons available.

LOL @ SONIC STAGE????? I think they've discontinued that. I don't know how you manage to put up with that DuD.

I'm using a Sony MP3 player at the moment... so as far as I'm aware its a toss up between Connect player (which really is bad) and Sonicstage.

Whats actually so bad about Sonicstage.. just out of interest?

I'm using a Sony MP3 player at the moment... so as far as I'm aware its a toss up between Connect player (which really is bad) and Sonicstage.

Whats actually so bad about Sonicstage.. just out of interest?

I used to use SonicStage years ago when I had an MD player. It was... a monstrosity of an application. It was everything people complain about with iTunes, with a dozen other things wrong with it. Featureless, bulky and sporting its own graphics instead of making use of the OS' GUI meaning it took 10x the time it ought to to load anything. No idea what it's like these days though, but it's certainly not even close to being a major contender.

Personally, I love iTunes. But that's probably because my PC is lightning fast and I have an iPhone as my MP3 player. I click the iTunes button, and there is iTunes, fully loaded and with my many many automatically-updating playlists, all my ratings, my apps etc.. It also does a very good job of music sharing over a network. At work only a couple of the PCs have speakers, so I can just request that my library gets played next :heh:

Buuuut, it has a major flaw. They basically design the whole program assuming you'll either download all your music through iTunes, or you'll rip all your CDs directly through iTunes. Now that DRM is gone from the program, that's not too bad, but personally I'd still rather have my music in straight up MP3 form (Flac would be ideal but alas, that's the other major gripe with iTunes), so I rip/acquire elsewhere and am then forced to drag and drop to build my library. There's no automatically monitoring of folders like there is with WMP, Winamp and Foobar.

iTunes is only really good if you a) pay to download all your music, apps and tv shows and want a convenient built in store to do that with, b) have a fairly fast PC and c) have an iPod or iPhone you want to sync apps/contacts/music/video to often.

If those things don't apply, check out Foobar2000.

I do have a fast PC, which is great considering its now coming up to its two year mark. But really its most because of a. I have a lot of CD's and music that isn't straight from itunes so it makes things very irritating. I also detest that ituneshelper is always playing in the background on my PC even when itunes isn't on. Bah

• 2 weeks later...