NEurope
rizz

Graphics issue

ATI Radeon HD 4800 PCI

Running Windows 7

Everything was smashing, but then unusual things started to happen. For instance, if I right-clicked, the options in the right-click menu would all turn black when I moused over them, or they would be purple. Strange.

Then things got worse. Sometimes I would boot up and my screen look like this:

p1010168v.th.jpg

But then I would restart the computer and it would usually be fine.

Now, that is what I get all the time. Then after maybe a minute the screen turns to this:

p1010169y.th.jpg

I don't know a lot about computers but this is what I have tried already:

I removed the graphics card so that I could boot up using the onboard graphics. Now that I could actually read the screen I uninstalled all the ATI stuff from the add/remove programs. Then I downloaded the latest driver/catalyst control center and installed that. I put the graphics card back in and turned the pc on. Things looked good, until the desktop loaded and it was still unresolved. Strangely though the start-up screens were ok.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks.

did you make any changes to your pc before all them shenanigans happened?

Are all of your connections tight in their sockets?

I'm assuming you said it happened as soon as you loaded the desktop, meaning boot is okay? (if so its probably an os issue)

you could try removing all drivers and letting your os use the default one, rather than up to date drivers, and see if that works. (or using the rollback facility)

as a last resort you could use the system restore (im hoping you are using windows now lol)

Edited by Raining_again

It could be that the GPU has fried. Graphical artifacts are usually a symptom of this happening. Try what Raining_Again suggested, and if that doesn't help, all I can suggest is that you either try and get a replacement if the guarantee is still active, or that you get a new graphics card.

It could be that the GPU has fried. Graphical artifacts are usually a symptom of this happening. Try what Raining_Again suggested, and if that doesn't help, all I can suggest is that you either try and get a replacement if the guarantee is still active, or that you get a new graphics card.

That's what I was thinking myself, but better to try the free options first :grin:

I'd say try default drivers, then try the latest drivers and then if need be perhaps slightly older drivers.

But sadly....if everything was fine then graphical glitches started happening the card was likely over heating, and when things got worse/permanent the card started to fry and is basically done for.

Perhaps if you're lucky it may still just be hot. Can you tell if the fan is running, and is there an abnormally high amount of dust? There is also a possibility of some production fault with seating the chip, or the application of thermal paste. Check your warranty/guarantee and see about sending it in to be repaired/replaced.

Right-o chaps. Well, they sent me a replacement. Although I have my suspicions as it looked a bit dusty for a new card.

However, whilst usable there are still problems. Some pixels like to flicker a bit, some like to go green. Some are random, some are the same ones each time. I emailed them and they said it was the monitor, but i've tried it on a different monitor and the same thing happens.

The worst time this happens is at the windows start-up screen.

Hmm...?

Right-o chaps. Well, they sent me a replacement. Although I have my suspicions as it looked a bit dusty for a new card.

However, whilst usable there are still problems. Some pixels like to flicker a bit, some like to go green. Some are random, some are the same ones each time. I emailed them and they said it was the monitor, but i've tried it on a different monitor and the same thing happens.

The worst time this happens is at the windows start-up screen.

Hmm...?

must be a dodgy card. The fact its dusty is worrying...

Since you've already changed the card, there's a chance that your psu could be delivering shitty power to the card

Did you order from dinopc in the end?? Been reading reviews and they seem to send you used replacement parts.

I ordered mine from there everything is fine apart from the wifi adapter which they have agreed to refund as I'll get my own. Also no case cooling so the insides get too hot. They have told me they are going to send me a fan though.

My point being do you have an exhaust fan with your pc? could it be a heat problem?

Edited by redrum217uk

It's pretty disgusting that they send you dirty parts.

It wouldn't bother me them using used parts, but they should be tested and free of all dirt and grime.