Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Home Network

david.dakota

Now, is this at all possible?

We want to get a wireless harddrive which would be left on, and access this from a netbook wirelessly from around the home - storing itunes and apple tv stuff - will we be able to access these wirelessly with an iphone and apple tv, or would we need to have turn a computer on anyway?

We are basically planning our options. We've been using Lindsey's laptop but its hit and miss as to whether it actually comes on or not. I want a decent desktop, and a netbook for portability but also as a quick route to getting on the net at home. Lindsey also has an iphone and i will be getting an Apple TV in the new year.

It seems sensible to have a hard drive that is accessible constantly, rather than to boot up a desktop to stream stuff to/from iphone and apple tv. I'd rather not keep a desktop running 24/7.

A NAS option wouldnt require anythign particularly special to stream media from?

Thanks for this input, keep it coming.

Roughly from off the top of my head. A wireless router, so that it can be accessed wirelessly. The network HD connected to one of the routers ports. And power for the both of them.

I've found a slightly cheaper solution for you also. Get this from big pockets for £16.99

Which is a network hard drive enclosure. Then you can buy an IDE hard drive of your choice (size wise) and put it inside. Could potentially lower the cost to under £50 for it.

You have to be careful with leaving HDDs on all the time cause they heat up a LOT. Not only does it wear out the hdd, its a fire hazard.

But yeah, nas all the way. They are a tad on the expensive side mind.

p.s has to be a nas to connect to a router - a normal hd wont connect without some sort of card/adaptor, which again aren't cheap

edit: just another point: i had an external drive which I wanted to use over a network. I bought a (cheap-ish) print server kind of thing, and it uses software to access the files. Its horrendously slow (and crashes vista) so i would advise against it completely.

Edited by Raining_again