NEurope
Choze

MS to add more adverts to 360 UI

This is quite amusing as i just abandoned my windows mobile phone because of the UI. Clearly not MS's priority. Though i am wondering how adding web style adverts are enhancements...

On the other hand i wonder if this has to do with MS thinking about keeping gold but making online gaming aspect free long term? or maybe just maximising revenue.

http://www.destructoid.com/silverlight-coming-to-xbox-live-bringing-crapload-of-ads-138148.phtml

We may pay Microsoft a fee for the honor of using its online gaming service, but that doesn't free us from having to look at a load of advertisements. Microsoft is aiming to make commercials on the Xbox 360 even more blatant, by bringing its Silverlight software to the system.

According to MS' Sean Alexander, companies will be able to run ad campaigns that simultaneously spread across computers, television screens and mobile phones. Basically, we can drown in adverts thanks to Microsoft, while the platform holder sits back and becomes a money magnet.

"Silverlight-powered media on Xbox will have the same appearance as ads seen on a web browser," says Alexander.

I hope not, the ones there right now on the spotlight bit are good at highlighting new stuff, but I wouldn't want anything more than that.

They can put as many adverts as they want on the dashboard. I use the console to paly games.

Anyone know how to cancel a Gold account? Mine does it automatically off my card every 12 months. Xbox live is a joke. It's been stupidly slow for me (the marketplace) ever since the new dash and I'll be fucked if I'm paying for it anymore. All I play on there is PSU and that can be played on a Silver account since it has it's own fee.

I had a quick look around the console and couldn't find any way to cancel the 12 month recurring subscription apart from deleting my card and forcing it to cancel itself, but I need to keep my card registered to pay for PSU and content etc.

Edited by Goafer

Wont really make much different to me. My eyes only see what i want them to see anyway.

If it gets to the point though where its like 'Watch this quick ad before we will let u play this game'. Then i will be pissed.

Anyone know how to cancel a Gold account? Mine does it automatically off my card every 12 months. Xbox live is a joke. It's been stupidly slow for me (the marketplace) ever since the new dash and I'll be fucked if I'm paying for it anymore. All I play on there is PSU and that can be played on a Silver account since it has it's own fee.

I had a quick look around the console and couldn't find any way to cancel the 12 month recurring subscription apart from deleting my card and forcing it to cancel itself, but I need to keep my card registered to pay for PSU and content etc.

Try ringing them up, kick off and say u want it cancelling. Also have u tried clearing ur cache to see if it speeds up ur console?

Edited by Mike1988uk

I swear this is just a kickout at sole Xbox owners Choze because this is a poor excuse for a thread. 'Haha Xbox is getting loads of adverts', so sad you had to do this.

Let's face it if there was an announcement that there would be adverts strewn over the XMB you wouldn't make a thread about it, you'd just dumb down the news story in the Playstation thread where a couple of people may have moaned about it.

I swear this is just a kickout at sole Xbox owners Choze because this is a poor excuse for a thread. 'Haha Xbox is getting loads of adverts', so sad you had to do this.

Let's face it if there was an announcement that there would be adverts strewn over the XMB you wouldn't make a thread about it, you'd just dumb down the news story in the Playstation thread where a couple of people may have moaned about it.

Truth. Looked the thread topic, was like 'who cares?', then realised it was Choze.

There is a 360 topic already, and this definitely doesn't need its own thread. It's funny how a PS3 owner makes a topic about adverts on a system they don't own. I'm sure someone would do such a thing for informative reasons; not due to fanboyism.

The three posts above summarize exactly what I was thinking.

I don't care as long as they don't obstruct me actually playing the games, with say a 10 second ad before the game can be played or something.

Phoning is the only way. I had to do it for my month to month subscription. In a bad reception area and talking to an American woman it was extremely hard to get it done.

Isnt there a form to cancel in the Live account management section? Would save the hassle of using a phone as i guess MS already are busy enough on phones with warranty stuff.

Interesting reading about the ads. The choice to force it in the UI is interesting with all the complints about speed. I wonder if Xune and windows mobile get this eventually.

As usual with ads they are placed where you will see them. Here is the current setup: You can scroll past it but you have to see it first hence the complaints about more slowness.

IMG_6534.jpg

Well that's My XBOX merged with Spotlight. Which is not how it is right now. Spotlight is already there simply for advertising so I don't think anyone cares about that. Also there isn't a problem with speed, so I don't know where you're getting this from.

Well that's My XBOX merged with Spotlight. Which is not how it is right now. Spotlight is already there simply for advertising so I don't think anyone cares about that. Also there isn't a problem with speed, so I don't know where you're getting this from.

You mean silverlight?