NEurope
Pit-Jr

Did E3 convince you to buy another console?

Yeah, you've said all this.

Actually, I hadn't said anything in regards to pocket-size, but there ya go. I only called out the lack of custom firmware there since you said the only difference between the two was that one didn't play UMDs. Not tyring to cause a ruckus, but I felt it needed pointing out.

There's obviously interest on here for the new model, so it seemed like a good idea to tell you all about the features of the older models (including not needing UMDs) so you could make an informed decision about which you really wanted. :)

Actually, I hadn't said anything in regards to pocket-size, but there ya go. I only called out the lack of custom firmware there since you said the only difference between the two was that one didn't play UMDs. Not tyring to cause a ruckus, but I felt it needed pointing out.

There's obviously interest on here for the new model, so it seemed like a good idea to tell you all about the features of the older models (including not needing UMDs) so you could make an informed decision about which you really wanted. :)

Well, lets say you dont want to play ps1 games and want to avoid pirating (in my case, anymore), is there any other point of having custom firmware?

Well, lets say you dont want to play ps1 games and want to avoid pirating (in my case, anymore), is there any other point of having custom firmware?

Yeah, it'll let you play games you legally own without UMDs, which isn't pirating. You can go and buy a UMD preowned from stores for peanuts (when compared with PSN store prices for games), and then back them up to memory stick.

And who wouldn't want some of the awesome PS1 games? People who never had a PS1, that's who. And those people don't have souls. :p

Yeah, it'll let you play games you legally own without UMDs, which isn't pirating. You can go and buy a UMD preowned from stores for peanuts (when compared with PSN store prices for games), and then back them up to memory stick.

And who wouldn't want some of the awesome PS1 games? People who never had a PS1, that's who. And those people don't have souls. :p

In my case, I have played everything I wanted to play on the ps1. For me, when it comes to 3d gfx, they really should be nice. Sprites I love, but crappy/dated 3d graphics are a real eyesore, unless its something with great artistic talent behind it like the n64 zelda games. Mmmm. Anyways, I like my tech gear to look nice, and the Go imo looks nice. Not saying I will defo buy one but am very tempted. And buying stuff online suits my habits very well.

You keep talking about custom firmware... The only reason people have this is for piracy, No other reason. You say you back up your games to a mem card, But whats the point when you can download it for free ?

Why dont you just say you download them and you wont be getting a PSP Go because you dont want to pay for the games ?

Some of the PSP1 games on custom firware dont work aswell, Or theres plenty of problems with them once playing

Yeah the PSN versions seem to be corrected especially for speed and borders. Smaller files as well.

I also posted that PSPgo also has ingame XMB. Another advantage of the go.

You keep talking about custom firmware... The only reason people have this is for piracy, No other reason. You say you back up your games to a mem card, But whats the point when you can download it for free ?

Clearly the post of someone with very little understanding but likes to have some input anyway. Do you understand what preowned games are? You walk into a shop and pick up titles for a fiver (Gamestation at least) instead of paying say £15-20 from the PSN store. So, you have a method for far cheaper, legitimately bought games stored on a memory device without UMD-switching than the Go. Sony have created a system whereby you have to pay their full price every time you want a game.

Second point; do you understand what it is to rip your PS1 games? You can put your own legally purchased PS1 games in your CD drive (all of my PS1 games are legitimate), rip them and then put them on your PSP. You can never do this for free via any other method, and there are few good games that you can download from the store anyway. Sony would gladly have people pay £5-8 (FFVII is £8) for the identical data they already have lying around on a disc on their shelf in order to play their game on a different screen.

Thirdly; do you understand what it is to be able to have these features for far cheaper? For instance, purchasing a preowned PSP 1000/2000.

Fourthly; you can run tons of applications that you otherwise wouldn't be able to, and even play user-created games. And, yes, if you really want to, you can even put emulators on to play games. But hey, you can just as easily put games you already own on if you're really that obsessed.

So yeah; how about you get a clue before coming across as someone completely ignorant?

Some of the PSP1 games on custom firware dont work aswell, Or theres plenty of problems with them once playing

Few games have problems, or at least significant problems, with many of the best titles working flawlessly.

Yeah the PSN versions seem to be corrected especially for speed and borders. Smaller files as well.

As you said before, PSN files are always huge. You can get trimmers for your own files that immensely reduce file sizes. The only thing I will say that you are right about is multi-disc games - often there is repeated data on each disc (gameplay mechanics, towns etc. in Final Fantasy games) whereas the PSN store FFVII seems to have merged the whole game into one, smaller package. Everything else seems bigger on the store, though.

Edited by Sheikah

Bear in mind you have the PSP 3000 as the other option. PSP go is for people who want a more modern high end handheld. As Sony said early adopters of digital downloads. Hence 16gb built in memory and afew extra features like bluetooth or ingame xmb for whenever they want to extend PSN.

Yeah FF7 on PS3/PSP is pretty cool. Pay once get it for both in a very convenient way. Prices for the disks are very expensive nowadays so this is a great option. :)

Bear in mind you have the PSP 3000 as the other option. PSP go is for people who want a more modern high end handheld. As Sony said early adopters of digital downloads. Hence 16gb built in memory and afew extra features like bluetooth or ingame xmb for whenever they want to extend PSN.

Yeah FF7 on PS3/PSP is pretty cool. Pay once get it for both in a very convenient way. Prices for the disks are very expensive nowadays so this is a great option. :)

Really? I have that lying around. Turns out, i have acquired a few gems over time, but foolishly traded them in without a care (due to lack of knowledge) such as super rare legend of dragoon. Heck that was hard to get in the first place, and then when i traded it in and got MORE than what I paid for it...alarm bells should have been ringing.

Hmm maybe there are a few ps1 games I would not mind playing again...

IM A TIT!

Yes I understand what pre-owned games are. No you dont buy them !, UMD switching... Again on a CFW which isnt LEGAL !

Yes I understand what it is to rip ps1 games. You can only run them on a CFW on PSP which again isnt legal so why do you keep going on about legal stuff for ? When what you are saying clearly isnt legal ?

You dont have to buy FFVII again if you have it ! That would be stoopid. Play it on your PS3. Its simple. The people who buy it are the people who prob dont have the orig disc. Buy it off PSN, Nice and easy

So I think its YOU who is the one who is being ignorant when it comes to the PSP scene. You said earlier that everyone you know has CFW. Thats great ! But dont come on here and winge on that Sony is trying to rip us off. When you clearly ripping Sony off yourself !

Really? I have that lying around. Turns out, i have acquired a few gems over time, but foolishly traded them in without a care (due to lack of knowledge) such as super rare legend of dragoon. Heck that was hard to get in the first place, and then when i traded it in and got MORE than what I paid for it...alarm bells should have been ringing.

Hmm maybe there are a few ps1 games I would not mind playing again...

This is why i dont recommend trade ins! I wish i kept more of them as they have grown in value. I sold my DC stuff though because i needed cash at the time. Shenmue is worth a ton lol.

This is why i dont recommend trade ins! I wish i kept more of them as they have grown in value. I sold my DC stuff though because i needed cash at the time. Shenmue is worth a ton lol.

Don't even get me started on Dreamcast. I had loads of classics on that console.

Yes I understand what pre-owned games are. No you dont buy them !, UMD switching... Again on a CFW which isnt LEGAL !

Yes I understand what it is to rip ps1 games. You can only run them on a CFW on PSP which again isnt legal so why do you keep going on about legal stuff for ? When what you are saying clearly isnt legal ?

Excuse me, you said that CFW is only for pirating (here's the quote):

You keep talking about custom firmware... The only reason people have this is for piracy, No other reason.

Ripping your original, purcahsed PS1 games is not piracy. I don't care for the term 'legal', rather whether it is piracy or not. You said this was piracy, so I will challenge that ridiculous statement.

Do you recall when ripping music from CDs was also illegal? Ridiculous, and AFAIK that law was changed. Use some bloody common sense. You have the original, legitimately purachsed game, which you backup. If you sold either copy and kept the other, this would be piracy. Otherwise it's not piracy. Also, it's not illegal to rip your own PSP games and play them on your PSP. As I recall, transferring a game from one console format to the other may be inhabit the grey area, but since PSP games are being played on a PSP system there is no issue.

But really, this is just common sense. Piracy involves people downloading games or purchasing/selling unauthentic cheap copies. Having bought your own game and backing it up to play it in a different way is clearly not piracy, and most importantly, you would pretty much never be prosecuted for it.

You dont have to buy FFVII again if you have it ! That would be stoopid. Play it on your PS3. Its simple. The people who buy it are the people who prob dont have the orig disc. Buy it off PSN, Nice and easy

What a wonderfully narrow focus, while completely ignoring on-the-go PSP players who already own the PS1 version. Loving your spelling of stupid. Because nothing gives you integrity like spelling like an infant.

So I think its YOU who is the one who is being ignorant when it comes to the PSP scene. You said earlier that everyone you know has CFW. Thats great ! But dont come on here and winge on that Sony is trying to rip us off. When you clearly ripping Sony off yourself !

Again, way to assume. You have assumed that I have pirated PSP games. Do you want me to post pictures of some of the PSP games I own? So yes, to assume is ignorance. Way to go.

Edited by Sheikah

Blah Blah Blah !

To be honest mate I cant be arsed to argue. Everyone with CFW on there PSP plays illegal stuff. FACE IT ! The firmware it self isnt ment to be on !

Your crying that Sony are charging for PS1 games again but that was like 10 year ago. Not many people keep a hold of there games so its a great chance for them to play there old classics again.

Your crying that you should be able to put multiple PSP games on the mem card, Well thats why they are brining out the PSP Go

And post the pics mate but there will be or has been some illegal games on your PSP

To be honest mate I cant be arsed to argue. Everyone with CFW on there PSP plays illegal stuff. FACE IT ! The firmware it self isnt ment to be on !

omg mate it isn't ment 2 be on it, its illegal and BAD.

Your crying that Sony are charging for PS1 games again but that was like 10 year ago. Not many people keep a hold of there games so its a great chance for them to play there old classics again.

Yes it would be a great way to play your classics on the go again if Sony actually released them on the store! There's a tiny amount of actually good PS1 games out on the store, hence why CFW rocks (if you have a good PS1 game library).

Your crying that you should be able to put multiple PSP games on the mem card, Well thats why they are brining out the PSP Go

What the hell are you on about? Why would I be crying about something my PSP already does?

Right, I've had it with you. You don't listen to anything, and assume everything. You're a complete and utter waste of time.

well as my bro now has the Wii as he moved out I will buy a Wii when Mario Galaxy 2 is released. I already have a 360 and I still not got plans to buy a PS3 as I dont think I need one yet.

PSPGo maybe if it was cheaper. Never owned a PSP before and I can't justify spending £180+ on a handheld games console. I have a PMP which supports video and music better than the PSPGo so for me it would only be a games machine.

PSPGo like the DSi is overpriced.

After Sony's conference, the second I get a HDTV (soon please) I'm setting up a PS3 piggy bank.

We're gonna have to seperate the other consoles board into PS and Xbox boards because of the amount of Wii owners now getting a new console. Incredible how persuasive conferences can be.

We're gonna have to seperate the other consoles board into PS and Xbox boards because of the amount of Wii owners now getting a new console. Incredible how persuasive conferences can be.

It's not a multiplatform website or forum, though. Also, the front page for this board ends with a last post dated about 3 days ago. It wouldn't really make sense to separate the boards.

Anyway, I'm still chuckling from the PSP banter a few posts up.

Well yeah exaggerating but it is potentially going to be twice as popular with new people buying. And it's busier than you think. Although it can sem like I'm the only one posting in it at times.

Still, I haven't found a better board for other consoles; there aren't too many people so you get an idea of who the nobs are (moi) and who the legends are so it feels so tightly knit and I'm so emotional right now I might need some tissues because of all the incredible times I've had sat alone on my PC talking about games to other freaks.

Well yeah exaggerating but it is potentially going to be twice as popular with new people buying. And it's busier than you think. Although it can sem like I'm the only one posting in it at times.

Still, I haven't found a better board for other consoles; there aren't too many people so you get an idea of who the nobs are (moi) and who the legends are so it feels so tightly knit and I'm so emotional right now I might need some tissues because of all the incredible times I've had sat alone on my PC talking about games to other freaks.

It may get a bit busier, and I guess it all depends if people decide to make more threads or something. If its all compressed into one thread, then...it's not going to make a huge difference, heh.

Yeah, it's quite a nice forum as a whole, I think. There were always be a few pricks here and there, but there's considerably less than other forums. Ever want a laugh? Look at the GameSpot forums. Bluddy awful. They make a new thread for eveeeerything. Why have one thread talking about something? Why not six?! Gah.

Sheikah, no illegal talk on the boards please. And yes, playing PS1 games on your PSP using custom firmware is illegal. It is illegal to rip, reproduce or distribute PS1 bios files (found in emulators) without permission. Further to this, by the law of this land it is also illegal to make back-ups of UMDs and it is also illegal to tamper with the contents of these back-ups (i.e. shrinking the size by cutting stuff out).

You are wrong. End. Of. Story.

It may get a bit busier, and I guess it all depends if people decide to make more threads or something. If its all compressed into one thread, then...it's not going to make a huge difference, heh.

Yeah, it's quite a nice forum as a whole, I think. There were always be a few pricks here and there, but there's considerably less than other forums. Ever want a laugh? Look at the GameSpot forums. Bluddy awful. They make a new thread for eveeeerything. Why have one thread talking about something? Why not six?! Gah.

Go into the Gamespot Street Fighter forums and ask how to pull off a Hadouken. I dare you :p

Seen someone ask something similar once and it turned in to 10 pages of spamming, flaming and just generally ripping on the guy! He was a gay paedophile who's dad is also his Grandpa by the end of it ::shrug:

You are wrong. End. Of. Story.

No I'm not. I never said it wasn't illegal; I said it wasn't piracy.

Let's think about piracy for a second. Piracy directly harms the developer in the sense that people never actually pay for a legitimate copy of a single game, rather paying for a copied alternative. Either that, or they distribute copies, or copy their legitimate game and sell one of the discs. This is nothing of the sort; you've paid for your game, you don't distribute a copy, and you haven't caused the developer to suffer in any way (rather, profit from your purchase).

It is illegal in the sense of sheer ridiculousness, as you already own the game yet wish to play it on a different screen; yet somewhere down the line it was decided that in order to do this you would have to again purchase the same data you already own. Again, I should mention, it was (upon a time IIRC) illegal to rip music from your own audio CDs for play on a different device, ie. an MP3 player or computer. The situation is entirely identical.

May I also note: there was absolutely no instruction or linking to Custom Firmware files or installation guides, or anything illegal in this topic whatsoever. The disucssion in this topic regarding CFW amounts to discussion of something that is, on paper, considered illegal, which occurs regularly in topics throughout the forum. Example: a thread labelled "Man murders 7 people in Uganda" is created, upon which details of illegal acts are discussed. To actually deny or discredit the legal discussion of something that does exist, illegal or not, is as good as censorship.

Edit:

It is illegal to rip, reproduce or distribute PS1 bios files (found in emulators)

It's worth noting though that this is irrelevant, as you do not put any sort of PS1 emulator on the PSP, as the PSP has the natural ability to play PS1 games (hence, a small portion are available on the PSN store for play on the PSP or PS3). Therefore, you don't illegally obtain the BIOS file for use with said games. Perhaps a little research into how things work before bluntly slating me, yah? =D

Edited by Sheikah

Go into the Gamespot Street Fighter forums and ask how to pull off a Hadouken. I dare you :p

Seen someone ask something similar once and it turned in to 10 pages of spamming, flaming and just generally ripping on the guy! He was a gay paedophile who's dad is also his Grandpa by the end of it ::shrug:

Hahahaha! So, you've seen the horror there, too! It's bluddy awful isn't it? :D

Whenever I feel down, I check out that forum. I may sign up and ask if Street Fighter 2 is any good, haha.

No I'm not. I never said it wasn't illegal; I said it wasn't piracy.

Let's think about piracy for a second. Piracy directly harms the developer in the sense that people never actually pay for a legitimate copy of a single game, rather paying for a copied alternative. Either that, or they distribute copies, or copy their legitimate game and sell one of the discs. This is nothing of the sort; you've paid for your game, you don't distribute a copy, and you haven't caused the developer to suffer in any way (rather, profit from your purchase).

So you're ripping PS1 games and loading them on to your PSP instead of buying them on the PSN store. Your justification for this is that you aren't cheating the developer out of any money :wtf: Surely it's up to the developer/publisher if they want to re-release one of their titles on a new format (even if it is played by emulation)? The methods that the PSP uses to play the games are irrelevant, it's the tools that Sony have laid down and the developer/publisher can't do much about that. What you're doing is not only illegal it's also immoral.

It is illegal in the sense of sheer ridiculousness, as you already own the game yet wish to play it on a different screen; yet somewhere down the line it was decided that in order to do this you would have to again purchase the same data you already own. Again, I should mention, it was (upon a time IIRC) illegal to rip music from your own audio CDs for play on a different device, ie. an MP3 player or computer. The situation is entirely identical.

I agree, that law is daft. The law is still the law though, if you live somewhere then you abide by the local laws rather than doing what the hell you like because you don't agree with those laws. That's how people end up serving 2 years in a Dubai jail for having sex in public :p

Also, you don't own a game. You own a lisence to the game. When you bought a PS1 game you bought a liscence to play that game on the PS1, you didn't buy the rights to the game.

May I also note: there was absolutely no instruction or linking to Custom Firmware files or installation guides, or anything illegal in this topic whatsoever. The disucssion in this topic regarding CFW amounts to discussion of something that is, on paper, considered illegal, which occurs regularly in topics throughout the forum. Example: a thread labelled "Man murders 7 people in Uganda" is created, upon which details of illegal acts are discussed. To actually deny or discredit the legal discussion of something that does exist, illegal or not, is as good as censorship.

It is illegal and you are talking about partaking in illegal activity. The fact that the legal ramifications of illegally creating copies of software are pretty much zilch doesn't change that. N-E have had complaints from people in the industry in the past with regards to similar discussion, hence you are to zip it before you get yourself an infraction. OK?