N-Europe

LEJOG

Goafer

No not some French excercise regime, Lands End to John O Groats.

A friend and myself were talking about cycling the route. I'm not sure how serious he is about it, but I seriously want to do it. I was about to see how far I could cycle in a day when I fell off my bike. Now I'm frustrated whilst I'm waiting for my wrist to heal, so I'll type about it instead.

It came up in passing and I looked it up shortly after. The bare facts:

17 Days

986 Miles

Average of 58 miles per day (Longest day: 80 Miles)

The overnight stops: Land's End - Bodmin - Okehampton - Street - Chipping Sodbury - Cleeve Hill (nr Cheltenham) - Kings Heath (in Birmingham) - Bakewell - Haworth - Grinton (in North Yorkshire) - Acomb (Hexham) - Hawick - Kinross (on Loch Leven, south of Perth) - Pitlochry - Tomatin - Carbisdale Castle - Helmsdale - John o'Groats

60 Miles per day I think I could manage, but the 80 concerns me. Could always make it an exra day and break that part into 2 I guess.

A related story: Someone who was in the year below me in school set off to cycle around the world about a year or so ago. Imagine "The Long Way Round" but on a bicycle. Link to the Facebook group. I'd love to do that, but I just couldn't. I honestly don't know how he's managing it, especially since he's solo.

Anyone undertook something similarly epic? Any opinions/advice? I'm not sure how well I'd cope, but I'm going to see how far I can go in a day when my wrist is better and decide from there I guess.

I'd love to do this and have thought about doing something similar in the past. Unfortunately I've never been able to convince anyone to do it with me. I wouldn't be able to motivate myself to get into good enough shape to do it myself I don't think. If there's two of us we'd be able to encourage each other on whilst training and also while out cycling.

I wouldn't be able to motivate myself to get into good enough shape to do it myself I don't think.

The guy who is cycling round the world injured himself before he set off so he only got 2 weekends of training in before he left.

"In January, 3 months before I was due to leave I tore a medial ligament in my knee. It healed up with just a couple of weeks to spare meaning I only got two weekends of training in and when I left home I was over-weight, unfit and about as physically unprepared for taking on something like this as possible."

It's good to know that you don't have to be some sort of adonis to do it. Although I still wouldn't go round the world. I think he's planning to be home for Christmas 2011. He started April 2008.

I rode 18 miles from Chesham to Aylesbury once. We couldn't be bothered to ride back, so got the train.

Ie I take my hat off to you. 58 miles sounds behemoth-istic.

Well it would be 58 miles in the whole day, so I guess there would be plenty of breaks. I've managed to cycle between 20 and 25 miles before without stopping and could probably go further. With a full day and plenty of breaks, I'm sure I could do 58 miles. I'm just not sure I could do it every day for 17 days.