NEurope
david.dakota

The Wire on BBC Two

Not only does he recommend it in his book but he made a program for FX solely about The Wire, called Tapping The Wire. Interviews and everything.

The first episode was good.

I like how realistic it is. Very hard to understand everything in detail (it's very detailed), but I suppose once I get into it, I'll deal.

learning the lingo and the technicalities is all part of the experience. Part of the reason it's so realistic is because it re-creates this world so intimately, and gives no quarter to outsiders. It's an oddly alienating process for TV today, where the norm is user friendly 'meta scripting' where supposed experts in their fields explain basic terminology to one another. It works brilliantly though, if you give it time to sink in.

Part of the reason it's so realistic is because it re-creates this world so intimately, and gives no quarter to outsiders. It's an oddly alienating process for TV today

Arrested Development does similar :p

Meh I'll catch this one day. But without a TV liscence and uni work to do at the moment it can wait til the summer.

learning the lingo and the technicalities is all part of the experience. Part of the reason it's so realistic is because it re-creates this world so intimately, and gives no quarter to outsiders. It's an oddly alienating process for TV today, where the norm is user friendly 'meta scripting' where supposed experts in their fields explain basic terminology to one another. It works brilliantly though, if you give it time to sink in.

*Applauds post*

Its staggering how by the end of the season, just literally a simple word or nod, can be completely understood by the watcher, whereas when the series began you would be left scratching your head.

Its brilliant.

Is The Wire a continuous story like with Prison Break, Lost etc... or is it more Episode based, with a new story in each or every few?

Someone, probably Dan, once described the show in respect to a novel, where the entire season is an epic novel and each episode is a chapter, each series a part... or something like that.

You will utter "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" by the end. Mos def.

Is The Wire a continuous story like with Prison Break, Lost etc... or is it more Episode based, with a new story in each or every few?

Someone, probably Dan, once described the show in respect to a novel, where the entire season is an epic novel and each episode is a chapter, each series a part... or something like that.

You will utter "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" by the end. Mos def.

aye, I beleive t'were me.

This show is about the long pay off- it is, after all, about painstaking high end narcotics investigation. Odd as it may sound, there's stuff in series one that doesn't pay off or conclude till season five. CSI land with master detectives solving elaborate murders in 30 mins (with ad breaks!) this is not. It's about as far removed from that as is humanly possible, I think.

I REALLY hate the one a night thing.

It's obviously a show where missing a bit is detrimental (unless it's not? Is there "PReviously on... before each episode?).

no 'previously' either.

1 a night is a bit harsh. Ideally, you should man up and buy it all :heh:

no 'previously' either.

1 a night is a bit harsh. Ideally, you should man up and buy it all :heh:

I was planning to. I might just do that actually.

Is it anything like The Shield?

I want to know what's going on and I want to know right now.

errm, I've not seen The Shield. I have heard it described as...closeish to The Wire- at least in tone. Couldn't comment on the characters or plot though.

I can't see how when The Shield shits on The Wire on both starting and finishing dates [stolen from the Wiki]

The Shield: Original run: March 12, 2002 – November 25, 2008

The Wire: Original run: June 2, 2002 – March 9, 2008