NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Noku

Multiplatform Wii titles on the horizon?

Things to remember:

1) The 360 and the PS3 are very similar in capability, hence the costs of porting are low, plus into the bargain anything developed for 360 can basically be ported to PC for next to nothing.

2) The cost of producing the a game on the Wii is MUCH lower than on the 360 or PS3, however when you've got a gorgeous looking version with DLC and superior online most developers won't be bothered doing the Wii version as they figure why would anyone pick up the inferior version? ...

3) ... and they're not building a game from scratch, they're downgrading a game, which can be a lot more ball ache and often the original game can be lost in the process - Dead Rising anyone?

4) The Wii is of course capable of doing large open world games - they just aren't going to look as good as large open world games on the 360 or PS3.

5) However, saying that Wii ports can be successful, as we all know COD:WAW has been, and that was not advertised, it was not pushed and it seemed like an after thought - yet it turned out very well and has sold well too.

6) Wii games sell over time, and when COD:WAW launched everyone laughed at initial sales, now it's at the one million mark things look different.

Finally, the Wii is overlooked as developers want to use the latest tech and push their game to the limit. This push is the very reason many go out of business and why so many big devs lost money last year. The costs of these HD behemoths is HUGE and if they flop, it hurts them hard.

Virtua Tennis for the Wii?

Might get that. The Dreamcast version was huge fun. Just hope Sega won't do something stupid like toonyfying the graphics.

I like to keep things simple, what I use all of my consoles for boils down to this...

Wii = Exclusives + VC games

PS3 = TV, Blu-rays and the occasional exclusive retail game

Xbox 360 = Exclusives + Multiformat platform of choice plus Arcade and DVD's

I can't see this changing any time soon for me. :P

I like to keep things simple, what I use all of my consoles for boils down to this...

Wii = Exclusives + VC games

PS3 = TV, Blu-rays and the occasional exclusive retail game

Xbox 360 = Exclusives + Multiformat platform of choice plus Arcade and DVD's

I can't see this changing any time soon for me. :P

Yes, well the exclusives are another big downer for most developers - how can most developers compete with Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Pokemon and Metroid? When you go into the shops you buy the best there is for the platform - overwhelmingly that will be Nintendo games if you own a Nintendo console!

But I want multiplatform titles with me Weemote & numbchuck!!!

Spend some money on that, will you Nintendo.

Yes, well the exclusives are another big downer for most developers - how can most developers compete with Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Pokemon and Metroid? When you go into the shops you buy the best there is for the platform - overwhelmingly that will be Nintendo games if you own a Nintendo console!

It would be interesting if hypothetically Nintendo went third party and gave its support to a single console. Maybe the Nintendo hate would go away?

I don't really think the COD:WAW figures for the Wii indicate much about hardcore potential. It's probably the largest and the most revered multiplatform franchise of the lot - it will undoubtedly sell decently on the name alone.

That would be Grand Theft Auto.

Besides, that would only indicate what we already know should happen: put some big hitting franchises on Wii as they do on other platforms. E.g., Guitar Hero and Rock Band also do extremely well on Wii.

Edited by Noku

When you go into the shops you buy the best there is for the platform - overwhelmingly that will be Nintendo games if you own a Nintendo console!

When I said exclusives I wasn't just talking about Nintendo developed ones... :rolleyes: of course the main reason why I bought a Wii was for Nintendo games but I also bought one to experience exclusives from third parties as well.

I agree though, Nintendo are in a league of their own when it comes to their own big-name titles. :)

Easy!

You don't! Why compete in genres that Nintendo have mastered, when there are so many genres that totally lack big hallmarks? Third party developers can churn out flightsims, racers, first person shooters, RPG's, fighting games at their hearts content. Since Nintendo aren't present in those genres, they aren't competing!

Easy!

You don't! Why compete in genres that Nintendo have mastered, when there are so many genres that totally lack big hallmarks? Third party developers can churn out flightsims, racers, first person shooters, RPG's, fighting games at their hearts content. Since Nintendo aren't present in those genres, they aren't competing!

Exactly. Which is why I don't get that they all seem(ed) to be going for the uber-casual game crown.

I think it's strange that Wii (and GC and N64 for that matter) haven't got a (semi-)realistic racer. It may not fit the main Wii demographics, but there's absolutely no competition!

I think it's strange that Wii (and GC and N64 for that matter) haven't got a (semi-)realistic racer. It may not fit the main Wii demographics, but there's absolutely no competition!

Don't get me crying... At least we'll have dirt. Or DiRT.

It would be interesting if hypothetically Nintendo went third party and gave its support to a single console. Maybe the Nintendo hate would go away?

Nintendo hate is the most idiotic thing in the industry! Nintendo are the pioneers that made the console market what it is today. Even DLC and online were pioneered by Nintendo back on the SNES with the Satellaview.

I think if Nintendo were to do some form of deal where their next console was in conjunction with SONY or MS the one left on it's own would die a very swift death - Nintendo exclusives + HD 3rd party games = near 100% market domination.

I think if Nintendo were to do some form of deal where their next console was in conjunction with SONY or MS the one left on it's own would die a very swift death - Nintendo exclusives + HD 3rd party games = near 100% market domination.

With any luck, next time Nintendo will make a console of their own that's HD capable so hopefully no need to partner with either of their rivals anyway it's pointless me even saying this because Nintendo will do something completely different regardless and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

All I know is that as long as Nintendo keep making decent 'core' games then I'll keep buying and enjoying them.

With any luck, next time Nintendo will make a console of their own that's HD capable so hopefully no need to partner with either of their rivals anyway it's pointless me even saying this because Nintendo will do something completely different regardless and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

It has been proven that no matter what technology, third parties won't support Nintendo. GameCube was a great console, and third parties didn't support it, ok maybe its because it isn't market leader, oh wait, they won't support the Wii either.

It has been proven that no matter what technology, third parties won't support Nintendo. GameCube was a great console, and third parties didn't support it, ok maybe its because it isn't market leader, oh wait, they won't support the Wii either.

Ah, but it has to be the market leader... and be the most powerful!!!

Awesome post by the way :)

I think more developers today are starting to turn to multi-platform games today than they were the last few generations. It makes more sense to do so. If the Wii was as powerful as the 360, there's a really good chance they'd support it. Last generation seemed to be more about exclusives than this.

I don't know how many people will agree with me on this, but it's how I feel. Personally, when I look for a game, I look for something that is "specific" to the system that I own. I guess I'm quite picky about the games that I buy, due to money worries. But, I look for something that is special, even if the game is multiplatform. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 for the Wii, for example. There are other versions, but the Wii version is very different to the 360 and PS3 one.

To me, that's how I'd like my games to be. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, where I'd buy a game that would be identical on a different system. But, this generation, particularly with the Wii, I'm buying games that make good use of that system, whether they're first or third party. They seem more special to me.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't as sensible as you, Flink, which is why some Wii owners¹ are going to be left forever disappointed. I often get a sense of 'the grass is always greener' when people lust after Wii versions of games coming to the HD consoles, even though they're only going to be left disappointed hankering for something not suited to their console of choice. Games machines should host games designed around them; the PSP is quite a clever little gadget, but even Sony themselves insists on constantly making PS2-like games for the thing which always leave an after taste of, "Well this is a good game, but I'd rather have played it on a console."

I'm not by any means saying that people should only use their Wii to play party games, it's just... well I'll quote Noku for an example, although I'm not trying to single him out:

Note that this is to be a thread about multiplatform titles, so Overlord Wii, Dead Space Extraction, RE:UC2 don't really count towards this particular criterion.

Those are the sort of third-party games that should be encouraged! Not that I personally think all of those titles are the best they could be — seriously, RE4's plant-'n'-shoot gameplay was made for the Wiimote — but at least they're designed with the host platform in mind and aren't watered down ports from the HD consoles. I know it isn't a viable option for everyone on these boards, but if you're that desperate to play games appearing on the more powerful consoles then go and buy one; 360s are ludicrously cheap for what they offer.

If you love to blend things in your blender but find it isn't so good for juicing — all the bits get stuck in your teeth — then you go and buy a juicer. You don't go on a blender fansite and complain about your machine's lack of juicing ability.

¹In the sense of someone that only owns one of the three contemporary home consoles, that being Nintendo's. Most of the 360 and PS3 owners I know also have a Wii.

I like the way you get your point across there Aimless.

I only own a Wii and can honestly say i'm very happy with it and don't really care about "missing out" on games*.

There are so many quality games available (admittedly alot aren't 3rd party) that have been made specifically for the Wii.

I don't understand the constant wanting of ps3/360 ports when we are getting games like Madworld, which make brilliant use of the controls and is an original concept (something that is hard to come by in an age of sequals)

Just look at the number of 1st person shooters on the HD consoles, not one of them really screams out to me. Then look at The Conduit, that actually looks awesome, in fact it is the first fps that has caught my attention since Timesplitters 2.

Maybe i'm wearing rose tinted glasses (must have forgot to take them off after watching West Brom) but for all the tat (and to be fair theres alot of it) there are plenty of quality games being produced by 3rd parties, which for me, helps (along with Nintendo's gems) make the Wii the best (most fun) console.

To try and steer this back on topic, the differences between the Ps3 and 360 are negligable compared to the difference between the Wii and Ps360. Therefore, whereas its fairly easy to make good ports between the Ps3/360, Wii owners will only ever recieve a sub-par watered down waggle friendly game (if that) when getting true multiplatform games.

The exception to this is Pro Evo, but then could you really say that is a true multiplatform game seeing as the similarity between the Wii and other versions starts and ends with the title??

Sorry if that is hard to read, i'm pretty tired :)

*Apart from Street Fighter IV, which i will be getting on PC :grin:

Just look at the number of 1st person shooters on the HD consoles, not one of them really screams out to me. Then look at The Conduit, that actually looks awesome, in fact it is the first fps that has caught my attention since Timesplitters 2.

So pardon my asking DuD, but what is it about The Conduit that you find so appealing compared to the FPSs on the 360/PS3 - what is it that they lack which is making you take notice of this? Despite their abundance and striking similarities, there are a lot of well received titles across the two platforms.

If the Wii had as many FPSs as the next gen machines, would we still be getting so excited over this one or would be just another shooter?

And yes, Timesplitters 2 is awesome - that's right, is, not was, but is.

Well the controls for a start, and just through having watched videos i've kinda got a feeling about it .

I havent sat down and spent ages with every single one of the Ps3/360 FPS's, but i did try and get into Halo 2 (my bro had it) and honestly... i hated it. It just bored me.

Now considering Halo is meant to be some kind of bench mark, it doesn't look good for the rest of them..??

I know i maybe shouldn't generalise them all to be the same (basically stating an uninformed opinion), but as i said...rose tinted glasses. :grin:

And yes, Timesplitters 2 is awesome - that's right, is, not was, but is.

Bang on the money there.

Well, not exactly rose tinted glasses, more like blinkered vision.

I've hardly played any either, I'm just wondering what The Conduit will be doing in terms of gameplay that the HD games aren't - sure, it's seems to have got the controls nailed down and it looks the part too but if the game isn't fun to play then what's the point.

I don't think that fine tuning the controls to the nth degree would have been a quick process for HVS and I wonder if anything else has suffered as a result in terms of gameplay.

I'm just wondering what The Conduit will be doing in terms of gameplay that the HD games aren't.

Hopefully its just trying to be itself.

I don't think that fine tuning the controls to the nth degree would have been a quick process for HVS and I wonder if anything else has suffered as a result in terms of gameplay.

I really hope not.

I think fully editable & motion controls will be excellent. They're keeping back details on the multiplayer (as far as i'm aware, correct me if i'm wrong someone, i'd imagine they're keeping something pretty good close to their chests), but they've said the standard stuff at least will be present and 16 player online sounds promising to start with.

Having watched / read interviews, the developers seem to be rather hyped about the game themselves (but then they're gonna be aren't they) and then theres Sega behind them. Sega seem to be publishing some damn good games at the moment and hopefully this will be another.

Sign in to follow this