NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Noku

Multiplatform Wii titles on the horizon?

But that's just it. In my experience, the Wii has somehow morfed itself from a juicer into a blender. And I don't like that.

There's nothing bad (or even "not great") about multiplatform titles being modified for the Wii, but I wanna juice my Wii (oh yes!). I want to have the option to be able to buy the latest GTA for Wii as well, same goes for Hitman or Assassin's Creed or just aboot every Bioware game released over the past few years.

I havent sat down and spent ages with every single one of the Ps3/360 FPS's, but i did try and get into Halo 2 (my bro had it) and honestly... i hated it. It just bored me.

Halo 2 is abysmal. It really is worse than average.

Try CoD4 or even give KillZone 2 a go if you can.

But that's just it. In my experience, the Wii has somehow morfed itself from a juicer into a blender. And I don't like that.

There's nothing bad (or even "not great") about multiplatform titles being modified for the Wii, but I wanna juice my Wii (oh yes!). I want to have the option to be able to buy the latest GTA for Wii as well, same goes for Hitman or Assassin's Creed or just aboot every Bioware game released over the past few years.

Just buy a 360.

The Wii could never do GTAIV or Assassin's Creed and the like so I'm not sure how you got the impression it could be a 'juicer'.

The reason Halo was hailed from the beginning was that it was made by the team behind the Marathon games, and it was as well a sort of Duke Nukem Forever like game. But back in the day, long development times = quality game.

Halo started off as a Mac RTS, then became a Windows third person shooter before finally becoming an XBOX FPS. I remember picking up a magazine in like 1998, and already then it had been delayed for a long time.

And of course the XBOX fans had to claim that there was SOME good game on the way.

What I wouldn't give for a port of Black or a sequel to Metropolis Street Racer, or Sega GT on the Wii...

Just buy a 360.

The Wii could never do GTAIV or Assassin's Creed and the like so I'm not sure how you got the impression it could be a 'juicer'.

It could definitely handle both franchises, they'd just have to be made ground-up a la Chinatown Wars.

It could definitely handle both franchises, they'd just have to be made ground-up a la Chinatown Wars.

I think that Daft is trying to say that there would be no point in just porting the games because they were designed for a system that is too different from the Wii, and any port would end up just being sub-par.

As you said though..... the Wii could definately handle both fanchises, but they would need to be designed with the Wii in mind as the host system to take advantage of the Wii's strengths.

:EDIT:

At least i hope thats what he was trying to say

I second that. Of course the Wii can handle those games, it just wouldn't be a direct port that's all. I mean after all, PS2 handled GTA just fine.

I got the impression from the CoD:WaW, Godfather: Blackhand Editition, Resi 4 and to a lesser extent, GTA:Chinatown Wars for the DS (to a lesser extent because that's not really multiplatform, rather catered especially towards the DS' capabilities, and thereby a bad example :)).

I don't see what's wrong in asking developers and publishers for some effort and bravery. A man can dream.

I think that Daft is trying to say that there would be no point in just porting the games because they were designed for a system that is too different from the Wii, and any port would end up just being sub-par.

As you said though..... the Wii could definately handle both fanchises, but they would need to be designed with the Wii in mind as the host system to take advantage of the Wii's strengths.

:EDIT:

At least i hope thats what he was trying to say

Haha! Yeah, that's what I'm saying. :smile:

What made Assassin's Creed stand out was it's technology. The crowd, the physics, an unheard of amount of animation. Assassin's Creed got a lot of the easy stuff wrong; the missions are dull and repetitive and there isn't much extra stuff to do. What makes it stand out, and personally made it my favourite game of that year, was just how fluid and fully realised the world was. I remember having fun just running around the rooftops of Jerusalem swooping in to kill random soldiers just for fun. :heh: In the case of Assassin's Creed I think any kind of allowances made for it to be on the Wii would destroy the experience that the current game offers.

Similar things could be said about GTAIV but I didn't like that game anyway so I can't be bothered to talk about it.

I do find it strange that Rockstar made quite a few PSP GTA games but don't seem to want to make anything for the Wii, yet at least. I think Vice City was the best GTA. Hell, I'd buy a port of it if they made it for the Wii.

I got the impression from the CoD:WaW, Godfather: Blackhand Editition, Resi 4 and to a lesser extent, GTA:Chinatown Wars for the DS (to a lesser extent because that's not really multiplatform, rather catered especially towards the DS' capabilities, and thereby a bad example :)).

I don't see what's wrong in asking developers and publishers for some effort and bravery. A man can dream.

I'm just saying get a 360 because it is amazingly cheap and you wouldn't have to 'dream' any more.

Warning, personal opinion: ;)

I have all three consoles this gen and apart from the Wii, and that is just personal taste, I have loved both.

I remember when I only had Nintendo consoles. I was always waiting for the next big game, which was basically the AAA Nintendo games, it seemed.

I have to say that with either 360 or PS3 I have never had that problem, in fact I have a back log. Basically I'm just saying it sounds like you'd be a lot happier if you had a 360 or PS3 as well.

Edited by Daft

I'm just saying get a 360 because it is amazingly cheap and you wouldn't have to 'dream' any more.

I don't think I would really :) Played some Gears of War and The Darkness on 360 and CoD4 and Uncharted on PS3. Found it pretty mediocre at best. Besides, I've got a computer for my more "old school" gaming needs.

Thing is though, I just keep on craving the same content with innovative controls. Imagine The Witcher with MotionPlus. Drool. Change clothes. Imagine driving down Liberty City with precise Wii controls. If those visions of gameplay splendour don't arouse you,

Warning, personal opinion: :p

I'd say you've lost your mojo.

PS: Full-hearted agreeing on my behalf with Vice City being the best GTA so far btw.

Nice :laughing:

Better to be safe than sorry. :heh:

I don't think I would really :) Played some Gears of War and The Darkness on 360 and CoD4 and Uncharted on PS3. Found it pretty mediocre at best. Besides, I've got a computer for my more "old school" gaming needs.

Thing is though, I just keep on craving the same content with innovative controls. Imagine The Witcher with MotionPlus. Drool. Change clothes. Imagine driving down Liberty City with precise Wii controls. If those visions of gameplay splendour don't arouse you,

Warning, personal opinion: :p

I'd say you've lost your mojo.

PS: Full-hearted agreeing on my behalf with Vice City being the best GTA so far btw.

Those 360 games are awful, I sent The Darkness back after 20 minutes when I rented it and GoW is only fun in co-op, in my opinion. I'm surprised that those two games on the PS3 made you think they were mediocre. CoD4 has a really quite good story, the whole bit with the nuclear bomb is exhilarating, and the multiplayer is arguably the best around. Uncharted is just a lot of fun. Definitely more than the sum of it's parts.

Why do you put so much emphasis on 'innovative' controls? Ultimately you are just switching inputs from a simple button press, to motion. Both have no intrinsic value. It really isn't hard to adapt to both, unless maybe you are new to gaming.

I'd happily stick with controls that I have been using for the past 20 years, that Nintendo deemed good enough for themselves to use, and allow developers the freedom to do what they want on the programming end.

The limitations put on a game in terms of computing are a lot more damaging to a game than changing an established control system, I feel.

Personally I like games with an atmosphere and some kind of story. That extra power in the consoles puts those little details that make a game world more involved and believable. Whether it is someone littering in GTAIV, using the crowds to hide in Assassin's Creed or watching the dust swirl on the Helghast's planet in Killzone 2, it increases immersion so much. It isn't like I look down at my controller to press a button; I don't even notice it is there. That is what a good game will do, effectively realise a new world for you.

Ultimately, you have an issue with your console and the games that are coming out for it. You want more. I never hear from people with a 360 or a PS3 about yearning for bigger or more 'epic' games. The logical conclusion is, if you want more, it is there to have, so go get it.

This again. I think this is what everyone was complaining about before. We don't need an add for the 360 in the Wii board every week. There's no reason games can't be good on the Wii if they are designed for it or ported properly. Look at how good the atmosphere was in Resi 4. Look at how well CoD:WaW was ported to the console.

Thing is though, I just keep on craving the same content with innovative controls. Imagine The Witcher with MotionPlus. Drool. Change clothes. Imagine driving down Liberty City with precise Wii controls. If those visions of gameplay splendour don't arouse you,.

In all fairness, the novelty of innovative controls is likely to wear off long before additional innovative gameplay features.

Much like daft mentions he doesn't second guess when he's pressing buttons on his traditional pad, something we can all relate to as experienced gamers, after about an hour with any Wii, game, the same thing can be said.

The controls are a blessing for some games, and a curse for others.

Driving down Liberty City with precise controls means using the analogue stick for steering as the wiimote is useless - maybe WM+ will change that but it would still be a pain swapping between the wiimote on it's own and the wiimote/nunchuk combo. You'd have the accuracy for the shooting parts, but they aren't that much of a focus that you'd rank a Wii version of the game any higher than one on the other consoles given the additional benefits they could offer.

This again.

This thread has proven a much better source of discussion than the one the one that quickly become fueled by our own intolerance of other peoples opinions (which were being stated as fact) and our ability to ignore those looking to send it down that path.

But now I think you've gone a jinxed it :p

This again. I think this is what everyone was complaining about before. We don't need an add for the 360 in the Wii board every week. There's no reason games can't be good on the Wii if they are designed for it or ported properly. Look at how good the atmosphere was in Resi 4. Look at how well CoD:WaW was ported to the console.

I'm just trying to have a discussion. I'm not complaining about anything. I have all three consoles so there is no need for me to complain, if one doesn't have something I want then I'll play another.

I don't care what games people play. I have no investment in any of these companies. Stick with the Wii, buy a 360, fly one way on Easy Jet to the Costa Del Sol for all I care. If anything it's more these flippant comments, like 'This again', that are actually detrimental.

I never said Wii games can't be good. Never. Ever. The point is games have moved on. The Wii cannot keep up with the other two and by no means did Nintendo ever mean to. There is a massive double standards though. People would like ports that take advantage of the Wii's unique attributes but these games are designed around the more powerful machines, take advantage of their attributes. That is where they are fully realised.

Yes, Resi 4 was amazing. It was amazing on the Cube as well, without Wii controls. It's atmosphere is a result of the realisation of game world, and game design. Comparatively, games can be much more detailed now. You're always going to have to up the ante. Just because something was atmospheric a couple years ago doesn't mean it holds up well now. Just watch some old horror movies.

I haven't seen this discussion from the beginning, but I will say this: Multiplatform games weren't the reason I bought a Wii.

The strength of the Wii (and Nintendo consoles in general) lies in its exclusives. It should be this way on other consoles as well (and I'm assuming it is).

Not to mention, multiplatform games usually end up worse in one system or another. Am I the only one who remembers people complaining about how the Xbox and Gamecube were getting shoddy PS2 ports? And Wii games with tacked-on controls are uninspiring at best.

My point is, I don't mind if the Wii is barely getting any game the other consoles have. Most of the Wii's good games can't be found anywhere else, either. It is on a different league from the other ones.

EDIT: One more thing, this discussion has actually been pretty good. There's no reason to complain, Emasher.

To me, I love the Wii games I have, love them to death.

Mario Galaxy

Metroid Prime 3

Zelda TP

De Blob

Mario Kart Wii

SSBB

I could keep going on, while at the same time, I also enjoy playing 360 games, because of what the 360 can pull off with them.

While thinking the game on the 360 may be good on the Wii with the controls, it's missing something...the graphics, that's one of the main reasons for games to go onto the 360, for the graphics.

It's like putting a Wii game on the 360. It ruins the point of the whole reason for putting the game on the Wii, and in the end ruins the game for what it was ment to be.

Now there are some good games that come from other systems onto the Wii (Namely COD:WAW) But I think it's true when people say that the Wii is in a different market to what the PS3 and the 360 is all about.

I don't want ports from 360 or PS3 games, I would rather have something new and fresh that focuses soley on the Wii, since looking at my collection, the games I have are awesome because it was only supposed to go on the Wii ^_^

Liking the discussion, happy that I started it. Made me question whether or not I owned previous Nintendo consoles with the same desires (i.e., more multiplatform releases).

My conclusion was an ambiguous one. On one hand, I still remember the days when EA shafted the N64 support, allowing for an unholy relationship between Fifa '99 and its owner for four years. I still recall the frustration of not having Deus Ex or Mafia for my Gamecube.

On the other hand though, I don't think I've ever bought a Nintendo console with multiplatform game-support in the back of my mind. Was pretty happy with Perfect Dark for the 64, ditto for Timesplitters 2 on the GC (multiplatform game, coincidentally).

But then, it didn't really matter. PS2 game I fancied? Bought it for PS2. I suppose that the only downside was that those games often looked worse (I couldn't care less) and they weren't four-player (unless you multitapped, which I never bothered with).

Then my Wii came. The joyous release of bodily fluids that it has brought forth since was quite the surprise. It's the perfect multiplayer console (save for the friendly coded online bit perhaps), and yet, singleplayer-wise, it has left me wanting more from time to time, in a way that I can't remember the N64 or GC did.

I think that the novelty of the Wiimote never wore off with me, because I simply haven't seen it being used as it should be in single player, story-heavy games. Partly for the fact that there just haven't been a lot of those games. But also because I had the feeling that developers were being lazy bastards, publishers were acting all grown up about seeing the light in casualz gamez, and Iwata was just sitting there counting his money.

Past tense (save for that Iwata-bit), because Madworld and HotD:OK have shown me the light. I think that they're the reason I'm here posting this, hoping to find some resonance across the board. Both games have got such great story, gameplay and production values that it's impossible for me not to want more. More length, more epicness, more depth.

If those games sell, I think it's only a matter of time before my wishes will be granted. If they don't... well... they will ;)

I get what you're saying Daft, I really do. But I just can't find the joy anymore in a game that could've benefited from the Wii's input method. Thanks to motion tracking, I don't think I'll like any console FPS or sword-combat-based game from after last gen.

When do you think Nintendo will see this? There must be other people like me. Throw some money at those pubs I say!

Edited by Noku

The Wii cannot keep up with the other two and by no means did Nintendo ever mean to.

Do you mean technologically or in terms of games? In regards to the former, that's pretty obvious. In regards to the latter, I disagree entirely.

Do you mean technologically or in terms of games? In regards to the former, that's pretty obvious. In regards to the latter, I disagree entirely.

The former.

But I also mean the later in terms of promoting games as an art form, as opposed to a toy like device.

I get what you're saying Daft, I really do. But I just can't find the joy anymore in a game that could've benefited from the Wii's input method. Thanks to motion tracking, I don't think I'll like any console FPS or sword-combat-based game from after last gen.

I think owning a console makes a big difference. I hated the Dual Shock but than I'd never owned a Playstation before my PS3. It's easy to adapt to anything, given a bit of time.

Personally I find motion controls a distraction. In the same vein that I find hammering a button as quickly as possible in a quick time event, like in RE5, annoying.

Edited by Daft

The former.

But I also mean the later in terms of promoting games as an art form, as opposed to a toy like device.

Arguably, Okami, House of the Dead: Overkill, MadWorld and several others have already done that. Beautiful, daringly different visuals and cracking gameplay to boot.

Out of interest, how would you personally define an artistic game?

Okami is a PS2 game at heart.

I agree with the other two, especially MadWorld. They aren't Nintendo games and Nintendo does very little in this department. This is a bit of a problem when they are the first party. Either way, both the 360 and PS3 have a significant amount more of likewise titles.

How would you personally define an artistic game?

Yeah, I just thought that. I guess I don't mean artistically too acutely. An interpretive medium would probably be a better description. Something that is more than just fun.

I'm probably not getting this across very well...

Daft, maybe you're right. Maybe my time spent with those games was too brief, and maybe I'll grow (re)accustomed to the controls. But one thing I'm sure of is that I'll still think they're better with Nintendo's controls :)

For instance, don't you agree that RE4 on the Wii blew its other offspring out of the water simply because of the controls?

Tellyn gets my wholeharted concurrance. I think that a deep reflection behind the meaning, impact and form of any game forebodes critical acclaim.

Edit: Sorry, guess you meant first party games. I always thought that the Zeldas were a lot more than just toy-y, especially since OoT.

Daft, maybe you're right. Maybe my time spent with those games was too brief, and maybe I'll grow (re)accustomed to the controls. But one thing I'm sure of is that I'll still think they're better with Nintendo's controls :)

For instance, don't you agree that RE4 on the Wii blew its other offspring out of the water simply because of the controls?

Tellyn gets my wholeharted concurrance. I think that a deep reflection behind the meaning, impact and form of any game forebodes critical acclaim.

Yeah, well that is you preference and that's cool. Personally I'm happy to switch on the fly.

I only bring up the ownership thing because my experience with the Dual Shock. Also with the Playstation Network, which you hear stories about it being crap but I don't really notice the difference between Xbox Live, and PSN is free. :heh:

Also, I bought my 360 initially as I normally do as a console that would be second string to my Wii. At that point I was committed to having just the two consoles but after working at Square where they were completely pro-PS3 I bought one (having the income also helped) and now that's my main console. In the end I realised you can't judge any of them until you have lived with them.

Yeah, I think the Wii RE4 is the definitive version and the controls are awesome. So I really wasn't looking forward to RE5. In the end I rented it and after the first chapter, I didn't notice the controls. It was seamless as the Wii remote.

If there were Wii controls for RE5 then I'd love to use those but not enough to notice and certainly not enough to not play the game and miss out enjoying it.

Edit: Sorry, guess you meant first party games. I always thought that the Zeldas were a lot more than just toy-y, especially since OoT.

I loved Zelda to death. But ever since Majora's Mask, which is my favourite game of all time, it has been dubbed down. It's linear. The explicit story is always weak and it's lost it's charm. Once it was a "hardcore" game, it has now lost its edge.

I felt Twilight Princess was soulless. I was saddened by what it turned out to be.

Edited by Daft

Sign in to follow this