OCZ 4GB DDR2 1066MHz - £64.99

HARD DRIVE

Western Digital 640GB Green Power - £55.63

GRAPHICS CARD

Unsure - Although a fanless Card would be ideal

PSU

Unsure

Can you help me fill in the blanks?

The machine will mainly be used for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. Gaming isn't a big priority therefore I don't want to go OTT in the GFX department. I'm trying to keep the cost under £600 and to remain near silent, theres nothing worse than a noisy PC. I plan on ordering and building this by the end of April, I just need to ensure I can deliver what I want within my budget.

Some people might disagree with me but some ebayage on that 6600 is a better idea than the Ebuyer route, may save you around 30 quid. I don't know much about making silent pc's but I doubt you'd get far with hi spec components thrown into the mix.

A SSD hard drive would kill some noise, at the cost of more cash. Also the Q6600 needs a decent enough fan to keep it cool, so maybe ultra quiet isn't the idea but relatively quiet is what we're aiming for.

So on the graphics card front I'd say ATI Radeon HD4670/50 nice low power card, which won't make much noise at all.

This should make an interesting read: Silent CPU coolers

A passive 4670 would serve you pretty nicely for that i'd think. It's a pretty powerfull card really, not a gaming card by today's standards, but it's good enough for anything around today on at least medium/high settings (should manage high at 1440x900 and below).

For a cooler go for a Thermalright Ultra Extreme or Xigmatek HDT-S1283. No other coolers come close to those two, should keep the temps nice and low and the noise down :) It'd also look at whether or not the Q6600 is a good idea for your system. The Q8*** and Q9*** series processors run cooler (meaning less noise caused by the CPU cooler and a lower power draw).

Oh, and some sort of vibration-killing hard drive mount would be usefull. You'd be suprised how much noise in a PC is down to vibrations!

I was thinking of a Gigabyte motherboard somewhere in between £50 and £100.... any suggestions :D

Put as much money as you can reasonably afford into a motherboard, especially if you want to clock it (maybe not with fanless system but nevertheless) It and the PSU I feel are very much underestimated in terms of importance within a budget...

QuietPC is one of my favourite websites - I have spent awesome sums of money there in the past... They have all the Zalman kits too including water coooling.

<3