N-Europe

Sexism

Dante

Thats why mums go to iceland

lol.gif Ah... blatant, in-your-face sexism.

A lot of this isn't sexism because the characters they make in games aren't real. The characters are generally made to appeal to people and the fact we buy into these characters and warm to them really just highlights that we are ourselves sexist. Maybe not us individually, but on the whole at least. People on average want their characters in Final Fantasy games to look attractive, and they want their FPS games to typically have buff shaved-headed warlords. The games industry just supplies what people want to see.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have a problem with is why guys can't have the same interests as girls without being labelled as homosexuals/teased/hunted down and killed. Why it is looked down upon as a guy to be in contact with your sensitive, feminine side. Why people must always be categorised.

One thing that is ridiculously funny in the first post is how FFX-2 is believed to appeal to females ... :rolleyes:

What I have a problem with is why guys can't have the same interests as girls without being labelled as homosexuals/teased/hunted down and killed. Why it is looked down upon as a guy to be in contact with your sensitive, feminine side. Why people must always be categorised.

One thing that is ridiculously funny in the first post is how FFX-2 is believed to appeal to females ... :rolleyes:

"Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short...wear shirts and boots. Cause i'ts alright for a girl to look like a boy. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because you think that being a girl is degrading.

But secretly, you'd love to know what it feels like, wouldn't you? What it feels like for a girl."

- Charlotte Gainsburg, "The Cement Garden"

"Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short...wear shirts and boots. Cause i'ts alright for a girl to look like a boy. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because you think that being a girl is degrading.

But secretly, you'd love to know what it feels like, wouldn't you? What it feels like for a girl."

Never a truer word spoken.

And your doctor? Or, you know, your body?

They are in complete agreement.

Weeell ... I dunno about the last part. :heh: But the rest is obviously true. For some strange reason, society has accepted boyish girls, but not girlish boys. And many of those who have automatically think you're homosexual if you're in touch with the opposite gender in yourself.

[/rant]

Weeell ... I dunno about the last part. :heh: But the rest is obviously true. For some strange reason, society has accepted boyish girls, but not girlish boys. And many of those who have automatically think you're homosexual if you're in touch with the opposite gender in yourself.

[/rant]

Though REALLY minor, I think the recent shift to it being "normal" for men to be really skinny and wear skinny jeans (associated with women before) and cardigans (on younger men) seems to be moving in the right direction. It's obviously just fashion, but it's a bit more androgynous and stuff.

Though REALLY minor, I think the recent shift to it being "normal" for men to be really skinny and wear skinny jeans (associated with women before) and cardigans (on younger men) seems to be moving in the right direction. It's obviously just fashion, but it's a bit more androgynous and stuff.

I don't think that's the case. That's just fashion. That happened in the 80s. Take a look at Bowie. I don't really think it's down to clothes more down to interests and hobbies etc.

I don't think that's the case. That's just fashion. That happened in the 80s. Take a look at Bowie. I don't really think it's down to clothes more down to interests and hobbies etc.

You're probably right. I just noticed in my peers/current fashion.

You're probably right. I just noticed in my peers/current fashion.

Don't get me wrong I do think that it's becoming more acceptable for men to be more feminine, I just don't think it's down to clothes.

But then again I tried a pair of skinny jeans on once and if your balls are that constricted all the time then you probably will become less masculine.

The other night I was out with some friends and we wanted some food. it was nearly closing time and one of my friends(a boy) wouldnt get served even though he had money. So, two of my other friends(girls) went in, with no money, and got us laods of food.

Men would like to be women for a day for the purpose of having breasts, in the sense of feeling like a girl. But I doubt that applies to clothes for most men.

Using definitives isn't a discussion, its stubbornly stating your view and also insulting 50% (theoretically) of the population. Yes you may prefer women and you may feel they are the superior gender (and of course they have their plus points) but what you're doing isn't discussing sexism. You're stating it.

Using definitives isn't a discussion, its stubbornly stating your view and also insulting 50% (theoretically) of the population. Yes you may prefer women and you may feel they are the superior gender (and of course they have their plus points) but what you're doing isn't discussing sexism. You're stating it.

A bit like a man saying you'd only want to experience being a woman to fiddle with their genitalia.

Its natural curiosity. I know plenty of women who'd say the same. And ultimately they may not have the best of intentions but they're weren't writing off a whole gender. In fact it was kind of the opposite, as if they had such strongly sexist views as you are expressing they wouldn't wish to be female. So yes, right intention with the wrong reasons.