N-Europe

SATA and ATA drives not playing nice...

Guest Jordan

As you might have seen, I bought an Intel D945GCLF2 (Little Falls 2) motherboard. I currently have an 80GB ATA drive set to master on the only IDE connector and 2 1TB SATA HDD's on the 2 SATA ports.

If i only plug the one ATA drive in, it boots to Windows without issue. If i plug in the other SATA drives however, it throws a fit and says theres no OS. I have checked the BIOS and the ATA drive is first in the boot order. I would have thought this motherboard had separate ATA and SATA controllers seeing as its less than a year old, I mean my 2 1/2 year old Asus board in my computer can run several ATA and SATA HDD at once without a single problem. Anyone got any ideas? Is Windows XP to blame? Anyone? :(

I've been fucking around with my motherboard since 8pm with no solution... This is really getting annoying :(

EDIT: Thought of some ideas.

Apparently Windows XP can have some issues on some motherboards finding its boot sector when using both types of HDD. Thing is, I know that I can boot from IDE... Seeing as I can have my DVD-ROM booting when I'm using SATA drives. Other than that, i'll try updating the BIOS (its at the original version and theres been some massive changes to the bios since then).

This may be a stupid question, but you do have the SATA drives set to slave right? With the little switch that's usually on HDs.

I would assume that you'd have that set correctly though. Other than that I have no ideas that haven't been said.

This may be a stupid question, but you do have the SATA drives set to slave right? With the little switch that's usually on HDs.

I would assume that you'd have that set correctly though. Other than that I have no ideas that haven't been said.

SATA drives run on their own channel and there's no such thing as slave/master as there was with IDE

After exhausting all avenues... i've had to give in and create a partition on one of the drives. It sucks a little but, nevermind.

Ebay success! I managed to buy a 40GB SATA HDD for £11 earlier.

As long as this drive works with my SATA card, I can boot off that and install Windows Home Server... Assuming the HDD works and arrives within the next few days anyway.

For the mean time, i'll just go without FileWhore (yes, thats its name.).