NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Deathjam

Java Playstation 3 Media Server

ps3mediaserverbv6.png

Java PS3 Media Server for Windows

=================================

by shagrath

Hi there... you will find on this page an experimental upnp media server I've written in Java

(so you can also use it on Linux), with precious help from MPlayer/MEncoder, FFMpeg,

AVIVaginath eventually, and currently using with my Playstation3.... I was quite fed up with TVersity

and others servers I've tried as none of them easily supports subtitles and 1080p transcode,

as well as any kind of files I want to play without worrying about ps3 compatibility.

I'm currently transcoding in real-time and no quality loss, 1080p mkv files.

The drawback is the high bitrate your network must support: with the default settings,

specific scenes with a lot of details (e.g.: zoom on a newspaper article) can have

bitrates near 100mb/s, so gigabit is maybe useful.

However, you can limit the bitrate (with maybe a loss of quality, of course)

Current features

================

- Ready to launch and play. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing.

- All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3. There’s an automatic refresh also.

- Real-time video transcoding via AviVaginath/FFmpeg in MPEG2 + experimental seeking.

- DTS -> LPCM real time muxing. Lossless transcoding !

- OGG/FLAC/MPC Audio transcoding

- Thumbnail generation for Videos

- All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the ps3 is willing to play

- ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders

- Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb

- Internet TV / Web Radio support with MPlayer/VLC

This program is ideal for me. Stream stuff from your PC to your PS3 (I use Wi-Fi) like music, videos & pictures. It supports the widely used MKV format which are popular in the anime fansub world. You no longer have to watch them on your computer screen. Its easy to install and easy to use, if your interested. From my experience it works flawlessly.

Note: Transcoding speed is dependent on your cpu and the transfer is dependent on your network.

This is what I used to stream my stuff from my pc to my ps3 and it works like a charm! So to all you ps3 people, give it a try and get streaming!

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

there is the link.

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.

Current features

* Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.

* Real-time video transcoding via MEncoder, tsMuxer or Avisynth

* DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder

* OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding

* Thumbnail generation for Videos

* You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!

* All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the ps3 is willing to play

* ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders for pictures/audio files

* Preliminary support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb

* Preliminary Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer

If you dont have this you should be shot.

• Works with any type of file. Dont ask because it just works :heh:

• Its an amazing program and I will definitely donate to the maker. :smile:

• For DVD. Its best to use ISO's or the Video_TS folder rather than vobs.

• You can browse zip and rar files. Works with everything. All will stream to to your PS3. All copyable via the server. All viewable on your PS3.

• Strongly recommended. Its funny watching people use USB sticks to copy from their 'own' Macs or PC. This program will do all the converting and copying (or viewing ) for you. No hassle. :)

• I'll do a thorough media server guide soon. I use this daily. Whether its to browse photos or videos.

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

there is the link.

If you dont have this you should be shot.

• Works with any type of file. Dont ask because it just works :heh:

• Its an amazing program and I will definitely donate to the maker. :smile:

• For DVD. Its best to use ISO's or the Video_TS folder rather than vobs.

• You can browse zip and rar files. Works with everything. All will stream to to your PS3. All copyable via the server. All viewable on your PS3.

• Strongly recommended. Its funny watching people use USB sticks to copy from their 'own' Macs or PC. This program will do all the converting and copying (or viewing ) for you. No hassle. :)

• I'll do a thorough media server guide soon. I use this daily. Whether its to browse photos or videos.

Ummm...isn't this the exact same one that I just posted?

Ummm...isn't this the exact same one that I just posted?

It is. I just added a link.

Wow, Just tried this out and it is great. Videos look so much better on the tv too. Its 4 am and i can't go to sleep because i can't stop watching stuff.

Wow, Just tried this out and it is great. Videos look so much better on the tv too. Its 4 am and i can't go to sleep because i can't stop watching stuff.

Lol that's the way. Use your ps3 to its fullest i say.

There some files that won't play though, yet they are avi. Why?

There should be a folder called transcoded when you go into the folder that contains unreadable files. if you go in there, it will stream the file while, i cant remember the proper word for it, but it will code the file so the ps3 can play it.

Is there something like this for the 360? My dad wants to stream ripped DVDs from the PC to his Xbox, but so far we've been unsuccessful.

Is there something like this for the 360? My dad wants to stream ripped DVDs from the PC to his Xbox, but so far we've been unsuccessful.
Windows can stream video to an xbox without any additional software, but it depends how the video has been encoded (supports divx, some h.264, some mpeg-4 and wmv) you also have to configure sharing to allow sharing to your 360. If you're having trouble there's also TVersity

Windows can stream video to an xbox without any additional software, but it depends how the video has been encoded (supports divx, some h.264, some mpeg-4 and wmv) you also have to configure sharing to allow sharing to your 360. If you're having trouble there's also TVersity

Cheers.

Are there any good encoders available, because the ones I tried are terrible.

All the movies i try to watch with this works fine but anime fails all the time. And the encoder or whatever its called file doesn't open, or it does open but then u can't play the actualy videos, It doesnt even have a play option.

Been watching prison break, very nice. It's more convenient using the PS3 controller and TV remote for volume rather than using my DVI->HDMI cable to link my PC up.

Only slight hiccup was when I was connected to my PS3 via wireless - I got an error every 10-15 mins that disconnected me and I had to reset my router. Turns out this is a common problem with some routers (I have a rather old BT Homehub). I switched to wired and everything is fine. Lovely interface, I must say.

Yeah the gigabit(1000Mbps) port comes in handy here and gives PS3 a huge advantage over other devices like the 360 or Apple Tv when it comes to streaming, HD and even copying files. :Hugs: 200Mbps Powerline adaptors. :smile:

I am using the D-Link Dir-655 router for the record. For some reason it worked worse wirelessly than my previous crappy router on the Wii and PS3... So it was the perfect excuse to go wired for PS3 as this combination works best with all the laptops, mobiles and computers in my house.

All the movies i try to watch with this works fine but anime fails all the time. And the encoder or whatever its called file doesn't open, or it does open but then u can't play the actualy videos, It doesnt even have a play option.

If it plays on your pc it will play on PS3 with this program. I use the latest K-lite codec packs on Vista 64 bit. Make sure your pc codecs are in perfect working order and up to date. Ofcourse you may be getting an unlucky bug?

Everything plays fine on the pc. I have no idea what a codec is so u got me there.

I think mine is vista 32 bit.

Medialink is nice but do try this. :smile:

Everything plays fine on the pc. I have no idea what a codec is so u got me there.

I think mine is vista 32 bit.

install k-lite codec pack. the latest version.

So what is this thing I don't get it? If I get a video on the PC I can stream it instantly on the PS3 or something?

Medialink is nice but do try this. :smile:

install k-lite codec pack. the latest version.

wtf is that?

How do i install it?

Where do i get it?

I download it on the computer right?

i google'd it and got it but it made no difference. What difference would it make anyway. the problem isn't with the computer, the computer plays all the vids. The ps3 is the one that doesnt.

wtf is that?

How do i install it?

Where do i get it?

I download it on the computer right?

i google'd it and got it but it made no difference. What difference would it make anyway. the problem isn't with the computer, the computer plays all the vids. The ps3 is the one that doesnt.

Which file was your anime thingy?

Installed the latest K-lite?

Your pc may be using different codecs or running them out of date for PS3 media center to work right. Refer to the media center FAQ and Q&A for troubleshooting. The solutions are very straightforward.

So what is this thing I don't get it? If I get a video on the PC I can stream it instantly on the PS3 or something?

Yes.

Which file was your anime thingy?

Installed the latest K-lite?

Your pc may be using different codecs or running them out of date for PS3 media center to work right. Refer to the media center FAQ and Q&A for troubleshooting. The solutions are very straightforward.

Yes.

Anime is normal .avi

Yes the latest k-lite.

The solutions are not very straightforward as i don't understand anything it says. I don't know anything about codecs and encoders and whatever they are. And if someone here doesn't help then i guess i just wont use media centre anymore.

Thx, I'll try that...

It still didn't work. What am I doing wrong, are there special boxes i had to tick? The files are normal avi, why won't they work?

I have this convertor that changes avi's to mp4's for my ipod and the mp4 files work then, but the quality is pretty bad.

Thx, I'll try that...

It still didn't work. What am I doing wrong, are there special boxes i had to tick? The files are normal avi, why won't they work?

I have this convertor that changes avi's to mp4's for my ipod and the mp4 files work then, but the quality is pretty bad.

Strange. Does everything else work? Tried other avi files? Have they worked with other media servers before or when you copy to PS3 via USB?

You can try the transcoded folder where the file lies when you are on the Ps3. You have 4 different options. Try them all and see if any work.

Sign in to follow this