NEurope
Ganepark32

RetroSpective - F Zero GX

There's no doubt about it, this is absolutely top class, and one of around four games I bought a GameCube for (Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario 2 were the others - all top class too).

I thought I was pretty good at the game, but I could never complete the 3rd GP on the highest difficulty or the 4th GP on the highest or 2nd-highest difficulty. I came so close, but you know what it's like. You misjudge one jump and you've blown it!

I actually felt physically quite weak and run-down when this happened!

Therefore, I would say that the game is a tad too difficult, but anyone who can unlock the AX tracks or vehicles has my utmost respect (and superhuman reflexes!)

The only other thing I didn't like about this game were those "exterior tube" levels (introduced in the N64 version), because you didn't know which side the speed boosts were on and which side the rough patches were on. I know some people may like this, but I preferred the courses that were mainly about taking corners.

Ah...I still remember when I first beat Chapter 7 on Very Hard. My greatest achievement on this game.

When you first beat it? You did it more than once? I bow to your hardcoreness! Perhaps the ultimate challenge is to come first without killing off Black Bull at the start.

It took me several days, but when I finally nailed that sucker, I was on the biggest high imaginable. Right alongside unlocking the Master levels in Super Monkey Ball.

When you first beat it? You did it more than once? I bow to your hardcoreness! Perhaps the ultimate challenge is to come first without killing off Black Bull at the start.

Oops... :heh: That was a mistake. I only beat it once as well.

I have tried doing it without killing Black Bull, though. Came pretty close.

I wonder if anyone has done it twice. Ever.

I can't even find anyone who's done it once on Youtube...

I've been playing this loads recently. Aweeeesome game. But, I can't even complete the Story mode on normal, I'm stuck on chapter 6. I'm also majorly failing at Grand Prix on extreme. I suck.

I'm not a fan of the whole spaceship style racing thing, but F-Zero is probably one of the best racing games I've ever played. It's just so fast!

Is it possible to snake in f-zero gx i wonder.. i heard someone got it but never looked into it further.

I'm pretty sure I've done it twice.

Why the second time, out of interest?

I've heard of snaking too, but I don't know how it's done.

Yeh, snaking is possible. I've never used it but I believe it relies upon the player pressing both the L and R shoulder buttons and turning left and right while in that state continuously and it apparently gives you small boosts while doing it. Can't say from experience though as I have never used it and never had a reason to do so.

Why the second time, out of interest?

I've heard of snaking too, but I don't know how it's done.

Just to prove it wasn't fluke really - plus it's a great track and it's a shame you can't play it outside story mode. Same goes for chapter 8 and the Underworld track.

Snaking is done by setting you acceleration to high, and alternating between left and right drifts. I've only ever done to see if I could get it to work and I only had limited success - never actually did it to try and beat the computer or a staff ghost.

By getting enough speed, it is possible to "fly" using this method if there is a place to get airborne and skip large sections of certain tracks.