NEurope
The fish

Jeff Buckley For Christmas No.1!

the alex version isnt THAT bad i dont see the problem...

I mean the song has been covered a million times why complain now ?

So, when do the charts come out? If Buckley gets to number 2 I'll be happy enough.

So, when do the charts come out? If Buckley gets to number 2 I'll be happy enough.

They come out tomorrow night. 7pm on Radio 1 every sunday is when the song in the number one slot is announced. (I.e the "Fearne an Reggie Chart Show")

The money ends up in Sony's pockets, but it goes nowhere near Cowell.

Really? Where does Simon Cowell's paycheck come from? You might as well stick it to Malcom Glazer due to the fact you don't like the new Man U home kit by getting everyone to buy the away kit. The better Sony BMG do, the better Cowell does and the bigger his personal fortune - epecially if Sony's increased profits come as a direct result of his actions.

It just, for me, has no soul. On the previous page they've been discussing the meaning behind the Cohan and Buckley versions but with this x-factor one it seems to have nothing behind it. Its sung in such a "i've been told to sing this" kind of way. Not saying its badly sung, it just lacks any passion.

Jeff made it to Number 2, Alexandra took the Number 1 spot (predictable, too predictable)

Would have been funny if all three versions held the 1, 2 and 3 spots respectively.

Now this may show the folk at The X-Factor that the public don't always buy into cacky, soul-less covers, but go for ones with more feeling and soul. May stop them promoting cack and actually write original songs for a change to attempt to go to Number 1.

What am i saying, they won't stop doing this ever.

Oh well. That just proves it. The X Factor has indeed hijacked Christmas. :indeed:

Then again, the Christmas No. 1 has been known to have many One-Hit Wonders in its time, so this shouldn't really be too much of a change.

Epic epic stuff :D Really happy with the outcome even if not toppling the number one spot. Shame about the X Factor taking over Christmas again though.

Had a debate down the pub last night, they were playing the Alexandra version of Hallelujah on the jukebox thinking it was brilliant. I played the Jeff Buckley version, they soon stopped putting Alexandra on. Everyone preferred Buckley's version.

Wouldn't it have been so much bettetr if a real Xmas song had been promoted this way instead od what will seem a copycat version.Would have meant more.

It's a music chart based on singles sales in the UK.

lol.

Not funny. :indeed:

Had a debate down the pub last night, they were playing the Alexandra version of Hallelujah on the jukebox thinking it was brilliant. I played the Jeff Buckley version, they soon stopped putting Alexandra on. Everyone preferred Buckley's version.

Awesome! :)

Because a lot of people are eltitist and want it to be known that they know of such a respected talent such as Jeff Buckley.

I hate people.

some quotes

I didn’t know the song before and it just didn’t do anything for me. It left me cold.

Eventually I just went away on my own for 10 minutes with a CD of the song and pair of headphones – and I came back and nailed it.

I put my Whitney Houston spin on it and I’m pleased with it.

Now I realise what a smart choice of song Simon Cowell made by picking Hallelujah.

If I read the facebook group right the Ultimate Rick Roll failed to even chart, even though it was in the top 5 of Play.com and 7Digital's download chart.

How odd.

If I read the facebook group right the Ultimate Rick Roll failed to even chart, even though it was in the top 5 of Play.com and 7Digital's download chart.

How odd.

Play.coms sales would hardly have any effect anyway, I would have thought. Was it anywhere on the iTunes chart? If not, then that would by why. I mean, it could have been in the top 5 in every store online but iTunes and it probably wouldn't have got anywhere.

(I could be over-estimating the impact of iTunes sales, but as far as I'm aware, I'm not)

WTH! How can you hate that song? :blank:

I don't understand this statement. That's a really pointless question.

What I find weirder is how can you not have heard of the song? Even if for the simple fact is its used in a lot of TV and films (Scrubs and Shrek come to mind). Particularly as a musican you'd think you'd at least have listened to a good cross section of music.

Alexandra Burkes copy sold - 576,000 (Fastest selling record for a female ever)

Jeff Buckleys version sold - 81,000

It was close to missing on second, with Leona's "Run" only 9,000 behind. Like I said, when people were saying it "must have crossed 100,000 by now" they were way out.

(I could be over-estimating the impact of iTunes sales, but as far as I'm aware, I'm not)

Nope. Most fools use iTunes.