NEurope
ipaul

Buying a new monitor

So I think I will be buying a new monitor soon and I very much like the look of the Samsung monitors and I was thinking about this

413dCV12jzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's the Samsung T190 (19 inch) for £120 on amazon. However, are there any better monitors available for the money? Also, I was thinking of possibly getting the 22 inch version, but would it be worth the extra £60 or so? Is the difference substantial enough to warrant the extra cash or not? Any help on this will be appreciated :)

Oh and if it helps it will be used almost entirely for the 360.

Need to know the resolution to tell if there is a subtantial difference. I'm guessing that one is 1440x900 and the 22" is most likely 1680x1050. Both of those resolutions are 16:10 aspects, so if you run your 360 at the LCDs native resolution(best picture quality rather than a slightly lower one.) you'll have small black bars at the top and bottom since games are rarely, if at all, anything but 16:9.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are the resolutions. I don't really care about small black bars but thank you anyway, I was more concerned about the difference in size and how much difference it might make?

I don't think there will be that much of a difference(visually), either way the games native output is smaller than their resolutions.

Screen size really is up to you, I know someone using a 15" monitor at 1024x768, me personally I won't go below 17" as a PC monitor. I will say though, if your going to be more than 2-3 feet away from the monitor, bigger is better.

22'' widescreens are awesome, I currently have one at home and if you play a lot of games and use photoshop often a bigger screen is always better.

If you surf the web most of the time you don't really benefit from that extra size though.

2 screens or one big one?

i like having 2. one for work, one for non work. then its easy to to one and pretend to do the other.

check ebuyer for a 20" samsung for the same money

I don't think there will be that much of a difference(visually), either way the games native output is smaller than their resolutions.

Screen size really is up to you, I know someone using a 15" monitor at 1024x768, me personally I won't go below 17" as a PC monitor. I will say though, if your going to be more than 2-3 feet away from the monitor, bigger is better.

Yeah, the November update for the 360 will give it 16:10 native output

I'd go for the 22. Although I don't own a 360, I've got my Wii hooked up to a 21.6 inch monitor and Its pretty good for gaming.

I'm looking for a 22' (minimum) monitor too. To play PC and 360. I wouldnt mind a bigger one, because honestly, sometimes size matters :P Is there any good 24' at an acceptable price? Halp please :P

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151430

Cheapest 24" I saw, but I wouldn't trust it at all. I don't know about the brand is all.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135253

The next cheapest is this Dell, and even if their PCs and Laptops are iffy, Dell does make good Monitors.

Of course for about 60 more there is a 28" ViewSonic. My personal experience with a Viewsonic isn't particularly noteworthy, I've never had any trouble with it the picture was fine never noticed backlight bleed or dead pixels.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141998

And now here's me acting like a douche.

It's with PC monitors, size doesn't matter as much as with a HDTV. the difference between a 22" and a 24" monitor is 1680x1050 and 1920x1200(assuming 19:10 instead of 16:9) respectively. If you want to go 2560x1600 you need to go to a 30" monitor, the 6" between 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 really aren't as big of a difference as the change in resolution.

If you look hard enough(and their becoming more common) you can find 19"@1680x1050.

With a bit of scrounging there are 22" and 23" monitors to be had at 1920x1080

22" Viewsonic 166

23" Dell 191

I'd personally save some money and go for the 22" Viewsonic at a very respectable resolution.

EDIT: Raining Again, monitor(ANY monitor even CRTs(technically better than most LCDs..))>>>>>(Any)TV.

EDIT: Raining Again, monitor(ANY monitor even CRTs(technically better than most LCDs..))>>>>>(Any)TV.

Depends what you are using it for.

Depends what you are using it for.

Not much. I wouldn't use a monitor as a TV even if it is better, due to some monitors lacking HDCP(I think that's that acronym I want) and a 50" TV from 6 feet away the differences are negligible. A HDTV used as a monitor though is just bleh there are no advantages that I can see you might get a lower price, and an inferior picture.

I want some size because I have to play 360 in it and sometimes it's annoying not to play it on a big tv when you see people's setups with bigass tvs. I understand that with bigger resolutions upscaling can be a problem. I won't go for less than 22 though. Thanks for those suggestions.