NEurope
Infinete

National Identity Cards

These are hopefully a step towards a safer life. So what if its a "police-state", i'd rather be safe in my country! Its not fun living in a place where theres a lot of threats.

And i also agree that if youve got nothin to hide you shouldn't be bothered. It's paid for one way or another, taxes, out of our pockets etc as mr_odwin said.

They are currently used in Spain, and yet that didn't help prevent the Madrid bombings, therefore the argument that they will aid in preventing terrorism seems a little weak to me.

Do we know for a fact that the ID system could have prevented this, perhaps the police there are just not up to scratch? (i am not saying they are, just you can't assume faults, without knowing how and why it happened)

And also, a very small point, ID can be used to prove you are the age you are, as im sure many people like me have problems when trying to buy age restricted items or going to see a film.

</essay> :heh:

They're a crock of shit. Unless each card acts as a beam shield generator and you wear it on your wrist, I don't see how they'll stop people being killed by terrorists.

And also, a very small point, ID can be used to prove you are the age you are, as im sure many people like me have problems when trying to buy age restricted items or going to see a film.

</essay> :heh:

Cah, i know what you what you mean i have the worst time trying to prove my age, i look to young, which annoys me, but everyone tels me that i will be thankfull for it in he future. but i ready have id, so what annoys me is that i will have to purchase some more.

You call that an essay? Are you a spammer or what?

Calm down dude, joke.

Cah, i know what you what you mean i have the worst time trying to prove my age, i look to young, which annoys me, but everyone tels me that i will be thankfull for it in he future. but i ready have id, so what annoys me is that i will have to purchase some more.

yeah, ive been told i look about 16 (on a good day) and ill be 20 next year. When im thirty i better damn well look 20 :heh:

Nope thats what I have a driving license for

We've had national ID cards in Portugal for ages.

*looks around*

Hmm... nope. No police state here.

We need ID to:

- Open bank accounts

- Cash cheques

- Pick up packages at the mail office

- Get a passport

- Enter national territory without questioning

- Prove our age, if necessary

- Give our ID number at the reception desks of some buildings, if requested

- Show to the police, if requested and justified

We do not feel watched, because all these entities are not related, and don't share information with each other. There's no "big database" tracking our every move. Just a bunch of small databases that are pretty useless by themselves. And there are laws imposing strict rules regarding stored personal information.

The card itself might be easily faked, but it's no worse than a driver's license, and not everybody gets one of those.

yeah, ive been told i look about 16 (on a good day) and ill be 20 next year. When im thirty i better damn well look 20 :heh:

LOL. thats asking a bit much isnt it?..............That i have to prove that im oldr than 16 yet ill be 18 soon.

I think it's a fine idea. But I'd use chips for something fully effective.

If you've do nothing wrong, you've got nothing to worry about, it would be NOTHING like Big Brother at all.

ID cards are a very very serious issue, Especially in a democracy that prides itself on its valued freedoms and rights to inividual privacy. I am strongly opposed to the introduction of ID cards , heres why .

The current cost of implementing this scheme is estimated at £19billion of taxpayers money and is expected to rise even further . The new cards will utillise DNA and iris scanning technology and there is legislation in motion to make them compulsory for all at an average price of £300 per head in the future. Some may agree that the cards will aid the fight against terrorism and crime etc , but the sacrafice you are making by accepting this draconian idea must be fully understood .

Think about it , ID cards make us accountable to the state as a numbered collective rather than the state being accountable to us as free democratic individuals , You are essentialy being given an identity by the state packaged in plastic rather than you determining your own identity freely . The argument "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" is a short cut to thinking . By introducing ID cards the state already assumes you have something to hide and this immediately reverses the role of accountability between the government and the electorate , something western democracies are quick to condemn as the workings of dictator states.

If Al Qaeda are the ruthless Islamic fundamentalists we are led to believe then it stands to reason that they will still try to kill us regardless of any changes we make to our way of life . As the London bombings proved, some terrorists have no intention of concealing their identities and sometimes take pride leaving videos of themselves with a motive explaining their actions.

The government says it will not give in to terrorists and the reason these terrorists hate us so much is because of our freedoms and way of life . But if my government plans to curb the freedoms i enjoy they are telling me that they are listening to terrorists and that the terrorist method works . Any alteration to our way of life is more or less handing victory to these terrorists . ID cards have little effect on the determined terrorist or criminal as the Madrid bombings demonstrated .

I could talk a lot more against ID cards but i dont want you all nodding off ,. lol.

I just think those in favour should think more deeply before handing over hard won freedoms that are essential to maintaining OUR control over OUR elected government.

But why is carrying an ID card cutting our freedoms? so what if we have to show it to a copper etc every now and then.