NEurope

Who has PayPal?

Have you ever had any mishaps with it?

Are you verified?

Just want to get the general gist of what people use it to buy, most things seem easier with a debit card.

Debit card isn't secure online, dear god I hope nobody uses a debit card online *facepalm*

I didn't know that. Howcome its not secure?

If you get your lovely paycheck in and decide: oh yeah i'm gonna buy something online - that's all well and good

but then what if they person you buy it off doesn't send you the item, or charges you too much (and maybe even empties your account).... you know you aren't actually covered at all?

Credit cards companies legally have to give you the money when you fill in a form, then they fight the company or frauster themselves.

I've had problems before and my credit card company (capitalone) dealt with the whole problem, all I had to send was a receipt and details of any contact i had made with said person.

My work colleague has has fraudulent activity with her debit card (well over a year ago) and she still hasn't seen the money back, whereas I got mine as soon as they received the form. Yeah you can report it to the police and your bank and whatever, but god knows when (or if!) you will ever see your money.

Who has PayPal? - I do!

Have you ever had any mishaps with it? - Nope :)

Are you verified? - Nope

I use a debit card online and i never knew that about it... Hmm well i'll risk it.

I only buy things from reputable places, so had no problems with Debit cards. I've had many problems using Paypal, basically it's wank.

I only buy things from reputable places, so had no problems with Debit cards. I've had many problems using Paypal, basically it's wank.

I've only purchased from big companies like game etc.

If you get your lovely paycheck in and decide: oh yeah i'm gonna buy something online - that's all well and good

but then what if they person you buy it off doesn't send you the item, or charges you too much (and maybe even empties your account).... you know you aren't actually covered at all?

Credit cards companies legally have to give you the money when you fill in a form, then they fight the company or frauster themselves.

I've had problems before and my credit card company (capitalone) dealt with the whole problem, all I had to send was a receipt and details of any contact i had made with said person.

My work colleague has has fraudulent activity with her debit card (well over a year ago) and she still hasn't seen the money back, whereas I got mine as soon as they received the form. Yeah you can report it to the police and your bank and whatever, but god knows when (or if!) you will ever see your money.

Indeed, which is why I don't buy anything from eBay with my debit cards. For some reason I've never thought about getting ahold of a credit card.

It's a difficult business but it's easily fixed if you buy from mainstream companies.

I have paypal, but haven't used it in a while, I dislike buying from anybody anymore, too much hassle. I'd much rather buy from a big, trusted company, even if it costs me more money.

Indeed, which is why I don't buy anything from eBay with my debit cards. For some reason I've never thought about getting ahold of a credit card.

It's a difficult business but it's easily fixed if you buy from mainstream companies.

I have paypal, but haven't used it in a while, I dislike buying from anybody anymore, too much hassle. I'd much rather buy from a big, trusted company, even if it costs me more money.

Yeah I agree. My debit card details are only ever put on the internet when there's no alternative, like when you sign up for a phone contract.

Credit cards are *usually* easy to get hold of once you are 18. And if you are worried about having a huge spending limit, you can get the company to stop it from increasing any further, its pretty easy to do afaik.

I started off with a £200 limit and now i've got about 6k over a few cards, I wish I had asked them to stop it a long time ago, its a little dangerous having so much money you don't actually own at your fingertips.

On Ebay, i always use PayPal, never use a Debit Card on there. Only places like Amazon, Game, HMV and Play.

I am Verified on PayPal and have had no problems using it at all.

On Ebay, i always use PayPal, never use a Debit Card on there. Only places like Amazon, Game, HMV and Play.

I am Verified on PayPal and have had no problems using it at all.

Same.

Would never use debit card on ebay. Always go paypal. But main stream shops I do, no different from walking in there and using it however if the shop does offer paypal I tend to use that option.

Natwest (who im with) are usually really good with fraud, well they was when my card got cloned in a petrol station. Got the money all back and a new card sorted in a couple of days. It's just the hassle that comes with it.

Would defo use paypal onlin as much as you can.

Who has PayPal?

Yep, been using it with ebay for 2 years

Have you ever had any mishaps with it?

Nope, never

Are you verified?

Yes

Who the fuck gives Debit Card details over to randoms on ebay anyways?

Credit cards are *usually* easy to get hold of once you are 18. And if you are worried about having a huge spending limit, you can get the company to stop it from increasing any further, its pretty easy to do afaik.

I started off with a £200 limit and now i've got about 6k over a few cards, I wish I had asked them to stop it a long time ago, its a little dangerous having so much money you don't actually own at your fingertips.

You've basically hit the nail on the head as to why I don't already own at least two. I don't even want to use my overdraft on my visa debit never mind credit cards.

I'm very annoying when it comes to my finances and thats when it's my own money, I feel for my friends etc if I ever got a credit card.

You've basically hit the nail on the head as to why I don't already own at least two. I don't even want to use my overdraft on my visa debit never mind credit cards.

I'm very annoying when it comes to my finances and thats when it's my own money, I feel for my friends etc if I ever got a credit card.

And once you get 3 or 4 of them it can get out of control, and remembering to pay them!

Its better to keep well away if you cant control yer spending, my workmate has over 6k on her credit card :/

And once you get 3 or 4 of them it can get out of control, and remembering to pay them!

Its better to keep well away if you cant control yer spending, my workmate has over 6k on her credit card :/

I control my spending pretty easily, between me and my sister I've always be the careful one. So why put temptation in my way, besides unless it comes to needing one for uni then I won't bother, I like my debit cards :yay:

So, what if I pay by credit card via PayPal system? Will I still be covered? Or would I have to pay directly by credit card and not through PayPal system to get the cover?

BTW I've had PayPal for years and I'm verified. The only time I've had a prob was when this idiot sent me a pirated copy (it was so obvious as well, with generic blank CDs) of a game and I started a dispute. After much proving and faxing documents etc, PayPal agreed that it was a fraud.

I got about £14 or so back, and 4 years on I'm still waiting for the rest. Yeah I know, I won't get the rest back. probably... That payment was made through PayPal, by bank account funding. Had I funded it thru credit card (within PayPal), would I have got my money back?

So, what if I pay by credit card via PayPal system? Will I still be covered? Or would I have to pay directly by credit card and not through PayPal system to get the cover?

BTW I've had PayPal for years and I'm verified. The only time I've had a prob was when this idiot sent me a pirated copy (it was so obvious as well, with generic blank CDs) of a game and I started a dispute. After much proving and faxing documents etc, PayPal agreed that it was a fraud.

I got about £14 or so back, and 4 years on I'm still waiting for the rest. Yeah I know, I won't get the rest back. probably... That payment was made through PayPal, by bank account funding. Had I funded it thru credit card (within PayPal), would I have got my money back?

ANY money that goes through your credit card is covered, but your better to go through paypal first if you have issues afaik. I ordered stuff online that didnt turn up and they refunded me all 100odd pounds of the money i had paid. I think it also covers if the good are unsuitable for job, not sure about the legality part tho tbh!

But if I go through PayPal with credit card, wouldn't that count as "Paying into PayPal" as far as the credit company goes? As much as I understand, if you are a PayPal account holder, you are "funding" the PayPal account by taking money out of whatever source (in this case, a credit card). Then from that fund in PayPal, you pay the ebayer?

But if I go through PayPal with credit card, wouldn't that count as "Paying into PayPal" as far as the credit company goes? As much as I understand, if you are a PayPal account holder, you are "funding" the PayPal account by taking money out of whatever source (in this case, a credit card). Then from that fund in PayPal, you pay the ebayer?

Thats why she said take it up with paypal, paypal will wort it usually. If not, then go through your card company.

I have neither Paypal, a debit, or a credit card. I just use cash, and if I order something online, I just buy it through my parents or something. This will probably change in the next few years though.

Who has PayPal? - I do!

Have you ever had any mishaps with it? - Nope :)

Are you verified? - Nope

I use a debit card online and i never knew that about it... Hmm well i'll risk it.

Ditto to this post in every respect :-p Although I might be verified. Not even sure :-p

You are thinking too hard about it.

credit card -> paypal.

Paypal -> ebay sellers.

If you have an issue with an ebayer and Paypal wont sort it out you go to your credit card.

Credit card company deal with ANY money that goes out regardless of the place it is going to.

But you go through paypal first.. You have to prove you have made reasonable contact with paypal, then after that the credit card company takes over.

This is why its awfully handy to have a credit card for teh internet purchases.

EDIT:Just been reading that link I've posted, you're probably not covered through 3rd parties, which kinda makes sense. Also apparently it's only for things over £100, but I imagine most credit card companies will extend it to less on goodwill.

I have Paypal, I got it for eBay cos I buy stuff(never sold) and tend to use it whenever I have the option, even through other companies that aren't eBay. Why? It saves me doing all my details again and is done in a flash, that's also quite scary. Don't recall ever having problems I had to resolve through paypal, some ebay issues yes but otherwise no.

Otherwise, I have a debit card and have had for 3-4 years despite being long aware of the shared responsibility/liability of a credit card company that gives you the extra protection. It applies to EVERYTHING everywhere too, not just online. Check out this link for some more info if you fancy;

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

But yeah, I'm too lazy to actually go get a credit card, and I don't trust myself so much. Also, I'd like to think I'm generally sensible with it all, so far I've had no problems(i also wouldn't do any massive transactions from someone dodgy on me debit card, just in case).