NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Big Games Slump....

Taken from SPONG:

The UK games retail sector is scratching its collective head this morning as freshly-released Chart Track figures signal a disastrous few days for most new releases in the charts, with low sales crippling some AAA titles.

Ten major new releases hit UK store shelves in the past week and not one of them managed to break into the top 10 of game sales - a worrying statistic. And although sales were up by some 13%, the fact that new product has been somewhat ignored is bound to cause concern.

Call of Duty 2, Sony’s fantastic Pursuit Force, a review of which you can read here Ubisoft’s sleeper hit King Kong, LMA Manager 2006, and EA’s From Russia With Love all charted much lower than their marketing budget and TV slots had promised. Sega was badly hit, with Shadow the Hedgehog, a contentious title from the outset, reaching a meagre number 25 in the all-formats chart. More worryingly, Sonic Rush for DS, a game heralded by some to be the best Sonic game ever, completely missed the all-formats chart, making number four in the DS listings.

As to why the public opted to ignore the new offerings of various assorted publishers this week is something of a mystery. Harry Potter seemed to snaffle a great deal of sales, buoyed no doubt by the clamour for the film at the box office over the weekend. However, the poor performance of the Sonic Team duo, Activision’s cracking Call of Duty 2 and Ubisoft’s acclaimed King Kong will puzzle and worry publishers and retailers alike.

Of course, there are many possible reasons for the seeming abandonment of well-advertised new releases, not least the looming launch of the Xbox 360. But can this many gamers be holding out for next-generation hardware? If so, Microsoft is certainly in for a bumper sales period with demand easily outstripping supply. Or perhaps this is, as one retailer assured SPOnG today, the calm before the storm. “This is the end of the month before Christmas. Christmas shopping starts on this weekend coming. I for one have no concerns that this sales blip is exactly that – a blip.â€

This comes as no suprise as the same happens every year November hits and then a mass amount of games come out at the same time. Im suprised they havent learnt from past years yet I mean not everyone can afford all the big releases at the same time.

There is also mario kart coming out friday. maybe there are a few people saving their penny's like me

I urge people to go out and buy sonic rush... otherwise you will be missing out on the best sonic game in a very long time!

No suprise really, a lot of people be waiting for the next generation, like the 360 is released pretty soon.

Yeah, I'm also waiting for Mario Kart. I can't really afford another game just now but I'd consider Kirby over Sonic at the moment. Sonic games were great, I just find them a bit dated and slightly boring now-a-days. They all seem very similar - press right, jump occassionly, fall down a bottomless pit, retry, press right, jump occassionally, skip the bit you fecked up on earlier, crash into a baddie that you couldn't possibly have avoided - repeat. That said, i'll prolly pick it up eventually.

If I had a DS I would buy 3 copies of Sonic Rush in a futile attempt at making SEGA happy.

This is terrible.

If I had a DS I would buy 3 copies of Sonic Rush in a futile attempt at making SEGA happy.

This is terrible.

just for you i will put it on my xmas list

Not really surprising IMO . The so-called big games released recently all appear to be lacking that killer instinct that makes them essential purchases.

Maybe the gamers are finally getting wise , and not rushing to be games that are sub-standard , formulaic and appear unfinished.

I could of course be completely wrong , and as others have stated it could be down to the impending next-gen and the wealth of new releases clashing.

Well I have to agree that people are maybe holding out. Many people not buying games until December as thats the month people think "Shit it's christmas soon.. I should get little Timmy those games he wanted".

I would of picked up Sonic Rush had it been out a little earlier but I have had Mario Kart preordered for some time and I need to buy xmas presents myself making Sonic Rush a purchase I can't currently afford. I have added F.E.A.R and COD 2 to my Xmas list and I prefer these over Sonic any day. I do hope it does well though.

I learnt the lesson last year if I waited the big titles that didnt do well would be in the Christmas/New Year sale a month later.

Sign in to follow this