NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
GoonFace

Freeing Up Space

Does anyone have a good program that can help free up some space on my hard drive. The Windows Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to be working for me and I only have 1.13Gb left :sad:

Dick Cleanup is pretty basic.

You'll need to go around yourself uninstalling shit, go into control panel>add/remove programs and see what you can get rid of.

Comedy Fake Edit: Buy a new HDD.

Have you removed all the previous restore points , might be obvious ,but I know a few people that didn't realise how much space these things take up.

Yup, the restore poitns thing is great, totally pwnd my HDD with it. Even now I still have 11.7gb left. Slowly filling it up again with music though.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the previous restore points?

RoadKill, I have removed all the programs I want to remove. But still do not have enough space. What I'm after is something like Disk Cleanup, because Disk Cleanup reaches three bars when calculating how much space it can free up and then it stops progressing.

GoonFace - Restore Points - Periodically your computer will save all your files and configurations and stores these on your hard drive. These settings can then be used if you ever need to go back in time (so to speak) after installing a bad program or running into a virus. Thing is you will not know your system has set a restore point (often called system check points) and over time these things accumulate , as it can happen daily.

To see your restore points go to all programs > accessories > systyem tools , and then there is an option for system restore. You do not really need to access this for cleaning the drive , but it has handy for knowing how many there are on the system.

Hope this explains a bit (although I am sure a PC geek could explain this a lot better than me).

Before doing the clean-up its worth making sure your system is running smoothly with no problems , because once the restore points are gone you cannot back-up in case of problems (although using the above will allow you to create your own restore points.

Clearing the restore points is easy , when you run the disk clean-up , click on more options , and it will have an option 'clean up all but the most recent restore point' just click this. Dont worry if it appears that nothing is happening , because depending on how many points there are , it could take a few minutes. Then just run the disk clen-up as usual.

I used to be short on space, then I came to my girlfriends and now I'm filling up her 120 GB hdd instead!

I just used to run through add/remove and get rid of what I could.

Thanks for the advice guys. Zelda_Rules, that is exactly what I need, shame it only cleared 300mb!

I am considering getting an external hard drive, but I'm a bit lazy lol.

Thanks Pigmarcher, getting rid of some old restore points saved a fair bit of space. Oh and Crap Cleaner is most excellent indeed.

Was gonna suggest Crap Cleaner but its already been mentioned. Only other solution is a new HD. I bought an external FREECOM USB 80gb HD and it solved all my problems hehe. Just make sure you connect it to a USB 2.0 port (if your pc supports it) or it will read files very slowly when connected to a USB 1.1 port.

I have a 160gb hard drive, it's great cos i'm allways shoving tonns of crap on my pc everyday and theres allways more room.

Sign in to follow this