NEurope

The mind bloggles, Galaxy too hard?

Though i think your mentality was summed up ,quite simply with 'wind (girl-) waker...

Girl Waker...really? Is that your level?

And I read your post, you're contradicting though, you say you're not comparing, just showing what happens when people go against a company; which is what you think is happening to Nintendo, so you ARE comparing. And if you're not, then what relevance does it have?!!? For someone who 'watches the industry' you have a bizarre, limiting view of it!!

Still, you're not being pushed around. If you don't want the consoles, don't buy them, if you do buy them and don't like them, you're not being pushed around, you decided to buy them.

The next few paragraphs are opinion, many people did enjoy these games regardless if they weren't as good as other games in the series. If you thought MP2 was too hard, play something easier. Many people like harder games.

Don't listen to the people in the stores, many game stores hire people because they look good, not because they know anything about gaming. They're not gaming experts by any means. They know enough to know what they have in stock, and how to sell a console/game. Some know more than others, some are actually gaming experts, but for the most part, its just a job for them.

It doesn't matter if people don't like a console. Even supposedly failed consoles like the Gamecube still made a profit, and had great games. Its only common sense to think that Nintendo's not going to be #1 one day, but they have enough business sense and assets, that they aren't going to go under, and they aren't going to go software only like SEGA did for a very long time.

Back to sales:

Sqaure-Enix Q1 09 Info:

Report 1

Report 2

Results for the 3 Months Ended June 2009

Net Sales: 29,399 million yen
Net Income: -1,672 million yen (loss)

Results by Business Segment (millions of yen)

Business Segment                    Net Sales          Operating Income
Games                                   8,512                      -992
Amusement                              12,037                        76
Publication                             3,820                     1,138
Mobile Phone Content                    2,660                     1,164
Merchandising                           2,370                     1,130[/Code]

[center]

[size=1]

[code]        |     DQ7                 |    DQ8                  |    DQ9
Week 1   |  1,862,065              |  2,236,881              |  2,343,440   
Week 2   |  1,072,286 (2,934,351)  |    559,524 (2,796,405)  |    602,856 (2,946,296)
Week 3   |    329,317 (3,263,668)  |    200,033 (2,996,438)  |    271,206 (3,217,502)
Week 4   |    154,797 (3,418,465)  |    116,731 (3,113,169)  |    172,728 (3,390,230)
Week 5   |     83,918 (3,502,383)  |    118,119 (3,231,288)  |
Week 6   |     64,351 (3,566,734)  |     95,879 (3,327,167)  |
Week 7   |     43,717 (3,610,451)  |     56,945 (3,384,112)  |
Week 8   |     33,852 (3,644,302)  |     22,175 (3,406,287)  |
Week 9   |     21,429 (3,665,731)  |     11,611 (3,417,898)  |
Week 10  |     18,191 (3,683,923)  |     11,293 (3,429,191)  |
Week 11  |     18,360 (3,702,283)  |      9,892 (3,439,083)  |
Week 12  |     13,941 (3,716,224)  |      9,389 (3,448,472)  |
Week 13  |     10,541 (3,726,765)  |      7,403 (3,455,875)  |
Week 14  |      8,841 (3,735,606)  |      6,698 (3,462,573)  |
Week 15  |      9,147 (3,744,754)  |      6,490 (3,469,063)  |
Week 16  |      8,903 (3,753,657)  |      5,103 (3,474,166)  |
---------|-------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------
CY1 LTD  |  3,784,682              |  3,231,288              |
CY2 LTD  |  3,892,735              |  3,538,860              |

[/size][/center]

Edited by Dante

First 2,5 years: Excite Truck, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Pokémon Battle Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Punch-Out!!. Plus all the casual stuff. And it's still early days...

Nintendo themselves have done a pretty good job actually. Blame the lacklustre line-up on Square, Rockstar, Ubisoft, Activision etc. instead who has yet to deliver a single AAA game to the system.

But where's Starfox, F-Zero, that Kid Icarus game we were promised, a Mario Party that was actually designed for the Wii, a Zelda game that wasn't a last-minute Gamecube crossover (arguably the same could be said for Fire Emblem as it's hardly anything new) - bah, perhaps it's just the lack of Rare and therefore, me comparing the Wii lineup to the N64 is like comparing gold and paper.

You're right though, we've yet to see any truly decent games from some of the 3rd party giants. At least the N64 did see the release of certain games such as Turok (which to be honest I always thought was shite) and Konami's Goemon series.

I think my original point is - Nintendo are on to a winner and the fact that it's taking them so long to whip out a continuous stream of titles is quite astounding really. If they want to push the Wii then they really do need the software to back it up.

Not to mention, titles such as Pokemon Battle Revolution and Animal Crossing are poor excuses for games - they're not even acceptable when considered as a port.

Either way, I've had a bit to drink and am probably talking shite - so feel free to disagree.

I don't remember them promising F-Zero, or Starfox. And Kid Icarus was said to be in development, but they wouldn't say what platform it was for, or give any details on it, it could be a DSi Ware game for all we know, it may have even been canned at this point.

The thing is though, we've got for sure 2 and most likely 3 1st party AAA games coming out next year for the Wii, so I'm not worried.

PBR was more like an add-on to diamond and pearl. It probably wasn't worth the full price, but it was still decent enough, and the online was much better than that in Diamond and Pearl.

If you just look at First party games, Nintendo isn't that far off from the other console holders, maybe even surpassing them. The problem is 3rd party support, something Nintendo's had a problem with since the N64 days. Hopefully they've payed some 3rd parties to put AAA games on the console. Reggie said he wanted the hardcore Nintendo community to give them advice on who Nintendo should strike a partnership with next, surely something else will being coming at some point.

Kid Icarus

We haven't had a console Kid Icarus since the NES days so I really wouldn't add that to your list. :P

Dazzebee, wrote:

And if you're not, then what relevance does it have?!!? For someone who 'watches the industry' you have a bizarre, limiting view of it!!

In what way is my view bizarre and limiting? While I am not likening SEGA´s nightmare to Nintendo, I am saying it could happen to them one day. Could. It´s all about what they do NOW, or what they do NOT do which determines the consumer perception of them in a few years from now. I pray they will make it, but it´s how well they handle the problem of quality or not on their platform which will decide what value they have in the eyes of the consumers.

They have some decent titles out now, not that I want to play any of them, but they need to get more of such titles out. I would go as far as to saying that Nintendo needs to rid themselves of the problem of the N64 days with too few good 3. Party titles. Back then, they struggled to meet demand with their own titles. Today, they have no chance in hell to pump out so many of their own titles to make up for the shovelware. So they need to listen to the hardcore gamers and let them decide who the best 3. party companies are and go on from there to make deals with them.

And Shino: I am not alone in my view that that is the quality of the games Nintendo released over the past couple of years. I think you are alone in your view that noone but me thinks so.

Obviously they could go software only at some point. It could happen one day. Nintendo are in the LEAD right now. That means people look at the console and like it and decide to buy it. If they had bad consumer perception, they would not be in the lead right now. Just because "Teh hardcorez gamerz" don't like them right now, doesn't mean a much bigger audience doesn't like them right now. Even their least selling consoles were still bough by a large number of people just for Mario and Zelda games, ect. And they made profit on them. And thats just their consoles, they still have the handheld market to rely on for now. I don't know what you don't understand. Nintendo has the assets available to them to succeed in the long run, and they know how to use them.

You say you love Nintendo? but you don't want to play any of their games? Not Mario Galaxy? Not Metroid Prime 3? Not ANYTHING else? I don't think you're this dedicated Nintendo fan you say you are. I think you're a troll who's come from the GT forums, or forums dedicated to another console just to annoy us.

I don't know why you think Nintendo has to put out more first party titles than there are shovelware titles on the console to succeed, thats the most idiotic thing you've said since you joined this forum, perhaps.

In what way is my view bizarre and limiting? While I am not likening SEGA´s nightmare to Nintendo, I am saying it could happen to them one day. Could. It´s all about what they do NOW, or what they do NOT do which determines the consumer perception of them in a few years from now. I pray they will make it, but it´s how well they handle the problem of quality or not on their platform which will decide what value they have in the eyes of the consumers.

Could indeed... just like I could go on to be the head of Nintendo at some point...

In all your potential doom mongering for the prospect of Nintendo's future, not once have you considered that it could get worse for the other players.

Since the could word is getting a little tired, I suggest we try a new word and since it's my pick, I choose: perspective.

The problem here is that quality is subjective and Nintendo's new audience has a far less experience when it comes to games. That said, just like you and me, they like to play games for fun - it's just that they find it in games we wouldn't necessarily do so. The so called new found casual gamer couldn't have a better opinion of Nintendo right now. Even if they are getting bored of the Wii, then there is little chance of them blowing even more money on another console that they aren't going to play.

Like anything, it's value fades over time, it was to be expected, but the hardcore place greater value on it. Nintendo have made so much money it's untrue to the point whereby they can rely on the hardcore to see them through to the end with little cause for concern (even with the GC's supposed commercial failure, they only posted losses for one quarter and that's the only time Nintendo have ever posted a loss since they were in the playing card business two centuries ago). Then they can release Wii 2 (or whatever) and the do the same thing over again. They nailed the 4 P's of marketing with the Wii and what's to stop them repeating the success.

They have some decent titles out now, not that I want to play any of them, but they need to get more of such titles out.

Why would you want them to release more of those titles you don't like and feel hard done too when you buy if all they do is dilute the gameplay into a chore?

I would go as far as to saying that Nintendo needs to rid themselves of the problem of the N64 days with too few good 3. Party titles. Back then, they struggled to meet demand with their own titles. Today, they have no chance in hell to pump out so many of their own titles to make up for the shovelware. So they need to listen to the hardcore gamers and let them decide who the best 3. party companies are and go on from there to make deals with them.

Since when was it Nintendo's responsibility to make up for the quality of other companies software on the system?

It's not like Sony or MS ever attempted to make up for the poor games that graced there console. Let's face it, Sony would have to release as many quality titles as Nintendo has ever released if they wanted to make up for all the dross on just the PS2.

And just going back to something that was said early and SEGA's demise - they perhaps could have survived if Nintendo hadn't been greedy and double crossed Sony. SEGA may have burned more than a few customers, but the loyalty they had with their fans would have prevented a lot from defecting to Nintendo. But like I said, Nintendo's arrogance gave them a third option.

You don't necessarily have to be good to survive, just better or different enough to distinguish you from your competition.

SEGA downfall was played out over 10 years of ill advised products and a foresight that the rest of the industry, and it's customers, could never hope to match.

They may have gone down, but my they went down swinging at the end and earned themselves a lot of good will with the hardcore games playing public.

That's the proper hardcore by the way, not those who just hopped on at the PSX era and brought a shed load of copied games from knock off retailers and thought they were because of the volume of their library.

Emasher, I did NOT say that. Here is what I wrote:

Today, they have no chance in hell to pump out so many of their own titles to make up for the shovelware.

Nintendo should make up for, make u p for, the shovel ware by releasing more of their own titles. So that the quality OUTWEIGHS the shovelware quantity. Geddit? That is what I said. And who are you to speak on behalf of all of the rest in the entire forum by saying I am "just a troll" who comes from GC Forums to annoy you all? Are you the director of the forum? You´re not, and why don´t you read my post´s more clearly before pumping out a lot of hs about what you think about what I said? Be a troll yourself, man! You qualify for the most idiotic statement because you don´t read what I write. You are too insulting, which there is no need to be. If you don´t agree with me, don´t argue with me. I just try to make my point clear, and then hear what others think of it. Try to learn things. I have things to learn too.

Captain Falcon, wrote:

In all your potential doom mongering for the prospect of Nintendo's future, not once have you considered that it could get worse for the other players.

Since the could word is getting a little tired, I suggest we try a new word and since it's my pick, I choose: perspective.

The problem here is that quality is subjective and Nintendo's new audience has a far less experience when it comes to games. That said, just like you and me, they like to play games for fun - it's just that they find it in games we wouldn't necessarily do so. The so called new found casual gamer couldn't have a better opinion of Nintendo right now. Even if they are getting bored of the Wii, then there is little chance of them blowing even more money on another console that they aren't going to play.

I understand. Well, then let them play away at what they think is fun. I guess you could say I am too biased in favour of the hardcoregamers, and what I have always been used to before they launched the Gamecube and Wii.

You also wrote:

Why would you want them to release more of those titles you don't like and feel hard done too when you buy if all they do is dilute the gameplay into a chore?

I want Nintendo to release more of the decent titles. I meant that the ones currently on offer are the ones that I don´t like.

You then wrote, Captain Falcon:

Since when was it Nintendo's responsibility to make up for the quality of other companies software on the system?

By making deals with the right companies, whom they are assured from the start will not fail in delivering quality-titles to the market. Giving us a far greater portfolio of top quality games to choose from. No more shovelware.

I will tell you right now, that I dream of the day where companies like Nintendo buy up other videogame companies that they make their 2. Party suppliers just like they did with Retro Studios. Because then they can exert a much stricter control over how games are made. If Microsoft and Sony started to do so as well, all of the 3. party gamemakers would be forced to deliver much better quality and sales would pick up even more dramatically. And the problem of piracy might be eradicated as well. I think it arose because people felt the games were too expensive and not good enough to pay that much money for (RRP).

I was impressed by your knowledge when you wrote this:

And just going back to something that was said early and SEGA's demise - they perhaps could have survived if Nintendo hadn't been greedy and double crossed Sony. SEGA may have burned more than a few customers, but the loyalty they had with their fans would have prevented a lot from defecting to Nintendo. But like I said, Nintendo's arrogance gave them a third option.

You don't necessarily have to be good to survive, just better or different enough to distinguish you from your competition.

SEGA downfall was played out over 10 years of ill advised products and a foresight that the rest of the industry, and it's customers, could never hope to match.

They may have gone down, but my they went down swinging at the end and earned themselves a lot of good will with the hardcore games playing public.

That's the proper hardcore by the way, not those who just hopped on at the PSX era and brought a shed load of copied games from knock off retailers and thought they were because of the volume of their library.

Gaming piracy has always been what I shun the most. Those who don´t pay for the games, end up hurting the very people who make the games they love to play - for free. How moronic, how hypocritical, how immoral, how stupid.

And how glad I am that SEGA is still around, even though as a third party agnostic developer.

Edited by Neogamer

First of all, Nintendo's games plus a good selection of 3rd party games, more than make up for the shovelware in many people's opinions. It might not for some people, but you can never make anyone happy.

Second I'm not trying to back seat mod if that's what you're accusing me of. Its not like I'm saying you should be banned form this thread or forum or whatever. You've made so many statements that have been contradictory of what you've said in the last post, that you're obviously either trolling, or 12. I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion, but you can't honestly expect to post some of the stuff you have been without being called a troll. You've come to a Nintendo forum, and all your posts have basically been predicting that Nintendo is going to fail, and that you don't like the games Nintendo has been producing for the last 8 years or so. If you don't like what Nintendo's doing, and you don't like any of their games anymore, why come to a Nintendo forum? I'm not trying to insult you, I'm sorry if you think that.

Nintendo and other publishers already team up with talented studios to produce high quality games. It doesn't stop shovelware. Shovelware is just a fact of life, you just have to ignore it and buy and play the games that you like.

I agree with the last bit of your post.

Edited by Emasher

Jammy 2211, wrote:

Really? Their strategy might pay off, or might not. I grew up with SEGA, and my first videogame console was a SEGA Megadrive with the action adventure game Alicia Dragoon, which was the greatest experience I had had by then with interactive media. For some years all was well with the flow of games, and it was the no. 1 selling games console in the Europe, but I don´t recall how it sold in the rest of the world. Then things turned around suddenly when SEGA started to push their userbase around with expensive, little utilized, add-ons for the same console things began to slip for them. SEGA 32X I think one of them was called, and it was a disaster with only a handfull of games that utilized it.

People became fed up, and SEGA didn´t listen. They kept on not listening. And so the gamer perception with SEGA shifted as people began to look for something else to play on. And lo and behold...Playstation popped up out of the blue, and with so many games that people ran after it, bought it and many games, and laughed all the way home to their livingrooms.

When SEGA launched the more powerfull Sega Saturn console, they thought it would get the gamers back. It didn´t. They not only had waited for Sony´s little miracle box instead, it appeared as if they had stayed AWAY from SEGA´s machine even though it launched earlier than the Playstation. I recall all of it clearly. It went even worse when they launched the Dreamcast. Even though better, and more capable with graphics than Playstation 2, with far better games and easier to develope for, it sold only 4 million machines worldwide (or around that figure), and it bankrupted SEGA having paid over half a billion dollars to create it. Almost as much as it cost then to create a new car model.

That, my friend, is what people can do to a gaming company, if they for a long time get pushed around too much. They can collectively decide against the one who did it. Word of mouth. It is when I think of SEGA´s nightmare in those days, that this gamer pattern of behaviour springs to mind with regard to Nintendo. Nintendo might end up in that situation one day, should gamer perception shift to being against them. I myself feel pushed around by Nintendo. And while I am not on some mission to destroy them, predict their doom, or anything like that, I just believe that they should be carefull about what they do from now on.

My point is this: how many other gamers out there, out of the combined pool of gamers feel pushed around by Nintendo? For that is what will determine if they make it or not as the currently #1 videogames company.

I hope they make it, allthough I still sitting around waiting for Super Mario Galaxy 2, and a hopefully much better Zelda than TLP. These types of games are really the very reason why I ever started to play Nintendo games.

Can Nintendo cater to all of the various types of gamers they have in their fold, and still keep a decent quality cleaning up and denying access to the shovelware, or not? The next-coming years will show us just that. And by the way, the day that console makers agree in unison to deny access to subpar games on their platforms is going to be a great day for videogaming.

This is an absymal attempt to explain why Nintendo might struggle and the comparison pretty much falls to pieces in my eyes. I can't even begin where you think there is any sort of a trend, it doesn't even worth bare going over.

Nintendo don't even need to cater to everyone they are as currently the casual market is a blue ocean they can just keep harvesting from. I'd say most people are satisfied with the games though they're making, as they're all breaking records for Nintendo sales wise and show no signs of slowing down.

It's kind of ironic as that whole post just sort of proved what you quoted of me lol.

Emasher, despite of the sound of all of my posts I did not try to do any "trolling". I tried to float a different perspective on Nintendo´s actions in the gamingworld because I have felt betrayed by them many times where they didn´t care about how good some previous titles they made were or that people like myself would have preferred to see more of that again. They experimented, and out of that came mixed results. In my opinion, results that were far from the standards of the past.

I wanted to see if there in this forum were members who had shared those same sorrows and hopes for something better. Not about moaning, but about where Nintendo is actually headed with how they have been acting with the games on Gamecube and Wii. Because I simply do not understand them unless to explain it by them being out of touch with at least some of their customers to some extent and that if that continues that is why I think they might get in trouble one day.

Miyamoto always said that the customer comes first. If half the gamingworld were asking for a new Zelda game with realistic graphics following OOT and MM, why do they then under his leadership make one with cellshading that people freaked out over perhaps not in this forum but in many places across the internet when WW launched? After half the gaming world begged - again -for a Zelda with realistic graphics and when they finally give us one with those graphics years later they give us one where it is only half done for reasons of time constraints? Why did they launch an incredibly difficult Super Mario Sunshine with more cellshading that was never completed by anyone I know or heard of? Why not more of the same that was so great in the past? Only with Super Mario Galaxy 2 can I begin to see the levels returning to the glory of Super Mario 64-type of levels that gave me so much fun. But it is over 12 years after they launched Super Mario 64. Nintendo knows why Super Mario 64 was so great. It was so demanding to make in those days that some of the programmers left gaming for good being burned out. I think I read it in the former N64 Magazine where they ran a series called the Making of (insert game). Only now do they in my opinion start to create that type of fun in the games again.

Make that kind of efforts to produce games that stand way apart from what other game-companies can make!

I feel that the next Zelda will also be as great as OOT was, but if so it has taken them an equally long time to create the same excellence in a game that was seen with OOT. Inbetween I have seen nothing but dissapointments, and that is why I brought all of my posts into this forum. I want to talk to others about it, and it seems you people are perfectly content with just playing what there is to play from Nintendo. I am not like that at all. I only (continue to-) play it if it meets the standard they set with the N64 games, and which had the gaming press declare SM64 and OOT milestones in gaming by then for among others the sheer amount of fun to be had and passable learning curve in them. I do not accept anything less, do not make compromises. That is why I started to love Nintendo and still do to some extent. I just currently do not play any of their games for the stated reasons.

I hope Nintendo knows what the heck they are doing.

Jammy2211, wrote:

I can't even begin where you think there is any sort of a trend, it doesn't even worth bare going over.

There is a trend worthy to take a look at if a gaming company appears to start going quantity over quality. Nintendo made games from the start that no other companies made or could make. Do they still do so? Or not? Even if "most people" are happy with their games, it´s important to know just what those type of people are. Are they people who know anything about gaming or not at all? If not, the fact that they buy their games in such huge numbers doesn´t nescesarily mean that it is because the games are good! It could mean that Nintendo is choosing to jump over where the fence is the lowest, and cater to those gamers who do not demand so much from the games they play.

Yes, Nintendo can harvest via the principles of their Blue Ocean-strategy, but it is a two-edged sword, since one day they may have harvested so many lesser demanding new customers that they are nolonger the ones they once were. Which will have huge implications on the entire gaming world, as Nintendo have for ages been the ones who innovated and others followed. They wont be much of an inspiration anymore if they one day nolonger create top notch entertainment. I hope that it will be like Metallica´s James Hetfield sings: "The Day That Never Comes".

I think it is good to see what others think about Nintendo´s current direction and the implications of it. I just express what I see, or think I see. If any of you people can explain to me what Nintendo is actually doing feel free to tell me about it!

Edited by Neogamer

Also after reading a few more posts I'll pick up on two things you said:

Nintendo should stop shovalware? - Yeah, Third parties will just love Nintendo telling them what they can and can't release, simply cause some people are offended at the box of a game they don't have to buy or read about greeting them on a shelf. What makes a bad game anyway? If Nintendo start censoring release 'quality' how do you know some games some people would really enjoy might never make it to release?

Your whole point of shovalware doesn't make sense, people like different games and enjoy different things. Some of the games the AVGN berates in his reviews are games I played as a kid, and loved. You'd hate on Frogger 3d if it came to the Wii, but it was one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played on the PS1, it'd be discarded as shovalware now though.

Also you dream of the day when Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft buy up everyone else? Sounds great, a monopoly, hell yeah! Nintendo really would need to make quality games if they controlled everything that was released on their platform, it's not like they could just exploit their complete control of the industry, raise prices and lower quality.

x

Neigamer, do you think it is a coincidence that EVERYONE thinks your argument is ridiculous? Also, why does the shovelware matter? Who gives a fuck? Doesn't stop the good games being good, that's what you should be concentrating on. You don't see films are shot because there are more shit films than good ones do you? Same with music?

You think you've been betrayed because you didn't like a sequel as much as its predecessor?!? An artist can never replicate his past work. Many sequels aren't as good, but when the first game is such a high caliber, that doesn't make the new game a bad game. You haven't been betrayed, you just didn't like something as much. Many people did like the games you mentioned earlier, and like I said before, you can't please everyone.

You've been moaning about where they might be headed since you joined this forum with your repeated Nintendoomed themed posts. Nintendo is still trying to cater to their core audience anyway, Next year they're releasing a new Mario, a new Metroid, and Possibly a new Pikmin and Zelda. If they release multiple AAA titles throughout next year, which is very likely, they will get respect back that was lost since E3 2008. Besides, the customers who are buying the most consoles right now are the casual crowd, and they're certainly not out of touch with them.

Now you're assuming you know what makes a game better than Nintendo does, I could argue against you about a lot of things in that paragraph, but I'm not going to. But the games you're complaining about were loved by many people, and are still AAA titles. Just because you didn't like the art style, that doesn't make it a bad game. Also, SMS wasn't cell shaded. Putting the customer first, doesn't mean doing exactly as the customer says, if Nintendo always did what the customer said, we'd just end up with a ton of generic games that looked like they had been designed by a marketing team rather than a designer. Yes, many people share your opinions, but not everyone does, and out of most that do, most of them probably still purchased and enjoyed the games you mentioned.

So you only play games that are better than games you have played before. The quality of games in general has been going down hill since the SNES era, you might want to just quit gaming with that attitude.

Jammy2211, wrote:

If Nintendo start censoring release 'quality' how do you know some games some people would really enjoy might never make it to release?

I know that because if Nintendo started doing that, they would nolonger be viewed as the gamemakers they started out as being. And they have done a pretty good job at ensuring the quality of what Retro put out with the 3 Metroid games (save for the difficulty in the 2. game which they later admitted was too difficult). If they began to censor out several popular game-series which people had loved for years, a lot of people would just avoid Nintendo consoles, and go elsewhere. If they found the same problem on Microsoft or Sony consoles, they would do the same with them.

Jammy2211, wrote:

Also you dream of the day when Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft buy up everyone else? Sounds great, a monopoly, hell yeah! Nintendo really would need to make quality games if they controlled everything that was released on their platform, it's not like they could just exploit their complete control of the industry, raise prices and lower quality.

I don´t think it will become like a dictatorial monopoly. Don´t forget why gaming became so popular in the first place. It did because people found the interactive experience great and sometimes better than watching movies. If Nintendo were to suddenly make games upon games that were utter rubbish they would lose their respect from the gaming community, and people would do like when they kill their telly: kill their console.

Dazzebee:

I agree with you people that the shovelware cannot be avoided - for now at least. And that there is different perspectives on what shovelware actually is. The way I see shovelware is games that are half-baked, rushed, with crappy graphics and bad sound. And a story that is just downright boring, with horrible controls that create frustration more than enjoyment.

Emasher, wrote:

Nintendo is still trying to cater to their core audience anyway, Next year they're releasing a new Mario, a new Metroid, and Possibly a new Pikmin and Zelda. If they release multiple AAA titles throughout next year, which is very likely, they will get respect back that was lost since E3 2008.

So you do admit that people have an issue with Nintendo? Because for all of your flack over the past several posts, you have been busy at trying to say that hardly anyone but me have a problem with them. At least that was the tone of your posts. And Emasher: if you think I moan so much I would advise you to learn the difference between moaning and harsh criticism of something. I do not moan, I criticise. But I guess that is what it seems like to you. But at least you agree that many people are sharing my opinions, though not all (which I certainly never expected).

I will not quit gaming. It´s too much of a drug to be quitting. Instead I will watch the reviews of the games that are released to market, and then play the ones that get the best review scores. Here I will be carefull of overrated games reviewed by zealous reviewers. Like when IGN gave Zelda: TLP 9.5 out of 10 where it should have been given 8 out of 10 for it´s lack of anything interesting to see or do outside of the main dungeons.

Jammy2211, wrote:

I know that because if Nintendo started doing that, they would nolonger be viewed as the gamemakers they started out as being. And they have done a pretty good job at ensuring the quality of what Retro put out with the 3 Metroid games (save for the difficulty in the 2. game which they later admitted was too difficult). If they began to censor out several popular game-series which people had loved for years, a lot of people would just avoid Nintendo consoles, and go elsewhere. If they found the same problem on Microsoft or Sony consoles, they would do the same with them.

I don't really get how this related to what I said, but you seem to be missing the point that Nintendo can afford to put up the huge budget required to make every Metroid Game awesome. The rest of the industry doesn't work like that, and your suggestion we 'cut-off' the studio's without millions of dollars to make one game.

If Nintendo had done that 10 years ago, The Conduit wouldn't have ever come to fruition, as one easy example.

I don´t think it will become like a dictatorial monopoly. Don´t forget why gaming became so popular in the first place. It did because people found the interactive experience great and sometimes better than watching movies. If Nintendo were to suddenly make games upon games that were utter rubbish they would lose their respect from the gaming community, and people would do like when they kill their telly: kill their console.

If Nintendo every studio's then it would be a dictatorial monopoly, of course it would. It certainly wouldn't be better for gaming, but it's derailing whatever the hell we were debating anyway so lets forget it.

I think the problem is you've taken your pretty dumb and misguided views, and put them in the Business/Sales Discussion thread. People might care whether SMG was too hard of TLP was an OoT rip-off, but non of this bares any relevence in a thread about console sales.

To whoever it was that posted Mario Sunshine being too hard, I hope to god you're kidding. I completed that with all 120 stars at the age of 13; it wasn't exactly a hard game, basic platforming skills got you quite far in that game.

To whoever it was that posted Mario Sunshine being too hard, I hope to god you're kidding. I completed that with all 120 stars at the age of 13; it wasn't exactly a hard game, basic platforming skills got you quite far in that game.

Agreed, it was just the blue coins that put people off completing it.

It's actually possible to get 120 stars on Sunshine?!

I gave up at around 117. I still have blue-coin related nightmares.

So you do admit that people have an issue with Nintendo? Because for all of your flack over the past several posts, you have been busy at trying to say that hardly anyone but me have a problem with them. At least that was the tone of your posts. And Emasher: if you think I moan so much I would advise you to learn the difference between moaning and harsh criticism of something. I do not moan, I criticise. But I guess that is what it seems like to you. But at least you agree that many people are sharing my opinions, though not all (which I certainly never expected).

I will not quit gaming. It´s too much of a drug to be quitting. Instead I will watch the reviews of the games that are released to market, and then play the ones that get the best review scores. Here I will be carefull of overrated games reviewed by zealous reviewers. Like when IGN gave Zelda: TLP 9.5 out of 10 where it should have been given 8 out of 10 for it´s lack of anything interesting to see or do outside of the main dungeons.

Read my posts again. I haven't been saying that at all. My point was that you've come to a discussion forum about something and have repeatedly said you dislike what that something is doing and predicting that they're going to fail ect. And what's more, your arguments make little sense at best. I don't get why you've come here. You're posting in a Business and Sales discussion thread about why you think the company that is currently out selling everything else is doomed. People occasionally come here and complain about the lack of games Nintendo are producing ect, but these people are long time members, who haven't signed up for the forum just to argue about why they think Nintendo is doomed. People come here to be part of the community, not to make absurd predictions and moan about how Nintendo is betraying them. Not very many people who are actually informed about what's going on think Nintendo betrayed them because Twilight Princess and Wind Waker weren't as good as Ocarina of Time. This is Moaning, You're going on and on about your dislike for something. To Criticize something would be to point out the actual faults of something, which while you have, you're not really focusing on that aspect.

If you think review scores are the best way to tell how good a game will be, I think you need to play more of these lower budget games you seem to think are shovel-ware because they're not AAA title. Many of them are more fun in-fact than some AAA games despite the review scores. Reviews take into consideration Graphics, Audio, Story, and Gameplay, and while many smaller studios don't have the budget to make the best looking, or sounding games, and can't hire a proper writer to compose the story, they can still nail the Gameplay aspect, and where fun is concerned, Gameplay is what really matters. And Don't we all game for fun?

I propose this. This argument is starting to get out of hand, and far it seems from the original topic. We should just start over. Post exactly and precisely what you've been trying to say, and we can start from there if you'd like.

Anyway I do recommend looking at and posting in some other threads if you want to be part of the community here.

OK, will do that. Sorry if you think my posts are in the wrong thread. All I saw was the headline of the thread and found it appropriate to post here. And I agree that the discussion has gone far enough. I have learned some things about how other members view shovelware, and heard your views on Nintendo´s future. It has been interesting, and it is now up to the future to show what will actually happen for Nintendo.

Edited by Neogamer

Click the image to read the Q&A.

title.gif

Edited by Dante

Wii outsells UK rivals in 2009

The Nintendo Wii has outsold all other consoles in the UK by some margin so far this year, GamesIndustry.biz can reveal, notching up almost 800,000 units shifted since the beginning of January.

Meanwhile the DSi has now sold 370,000 units, giving it a faster rate of sale in the first four months than either the DS or the DS Lite.

The numbers, released to GamesIndustry.biz following an investigation into confusion previously caused by a GAME financial statement, also show the DS Lite at over 680,000 for 2009.

The issue arose following a re-evaluation by Chart-Track of its upweight - the estimate it makes to bridge the gap between the numbers it receives from its retail panel and the rest of the UK market.

Having consulted the three platform-holders Chart-Track issued updated figures in June this year, as well as corrected historical numbers.

However, it appears that a trading update issued by the GAME Group at the end of June - which included the UK's console installed base numbers - used the new set of numbers for its June snapshot and the old set of numbers for its January snapshot, thereby distorting the rate of sales picture for the first half of the year and making it appear that sales of the Wii and DS had slowed considerably.

But the re-evaluated numbers now show clear water between the Wii and the Xbox 360 for sales throughout 2009, a reverse of the picture portrayed previously, with UK installed base as of week 31 this year standing at:

Nintendo Wii: 5.5 million

Nintendo DS: 1.6 million

Nintendo DS Lite: 7.5 million

Nintendo DSi: 370,000

mcv_wwhardwaresales655.png

Console sales LTD for three major markets listed in chart:

Wii: 46.4m

X360: 26.6m

PS3: 20.8m

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost