NEurope
Chris the great

Has Nintendo really lost it?

I'm fully aware that they have said that they will announce games first 3 months before release. But that still doesent prove me wrong. ONE core game announced over a period of nearly two years. Don't you think that's a tad little? I mean, all will be forgiven if Nintendo will announce a new AAA title every 2 months from let's say october, but that isn't going to happen. My guess is that we'll get lucky if we get one every six months.

That it is or isn't so that Nintendo have abandoned us isn't the deal. It's that right now, noone can prove the one or the other. We don't know if we'll get a new Zelda in four months, or if we'll have to wait for Starfox until the last year of the Wii. THAT is my point.

Do you understand the difference between leaving someone in the dark and abandoning them.

I'm fully aware that they have said that they will announce games first 3 months before release. But that still doesent prove me wrong. ONE core game announced over a period of nearly two years. Don't you think that's a tad little? I mean, all will be forgiven if Nintendo will announce a new AAA title every 2 months from let's say october, but that isn't going to happen. My guess is that we'll get lucky if we get one every six months.

That it is or isn't so that Nintendo have abandoned us isn't the deal. It's that right now, noone can prove the one or the other. We don't know if we'll get a new Zelda in four months, or if we'll have to wait for Starfox until the last year of the Wii. THAT is my point.

All you seem to care about are announcements. So SMG, TP, MP3 etc. doesn't count against the core-abandoning theory because we knew about them from the beginning? And you go into apocalypse-overdrive because we don't know when or if we'll have more core titles?

Looking back at Nintendo's history, I just don't see the abandoning of the core fans happening (I mean today, not then).

EDIT: To comment on the highlighted part of your post: Nintendo's alledged abandoning has been the deal for you all the way through. Don't come and deny it afterwards.

Thing is it needs to be more than nintendo bringing the gamer stuff to the console. We've been playing nintendo franchises for 20 years and so the other developers need to step in, but they aren't. I have had enough of Metroid and Mario for this generation. There are too few 3rd parties releasing anything remotely interesting so I turned attention to a different console where many things seem to be catered for.

I don't think they have lost it i just think their games are getting old. Get some more franchises out there. I'd like to see more potential, games like Disaster is a good start.

Thing is it needs to be more than nintendo bringing the gamer stuff to the console. We've been playing nintendo franchises for 20 years and so the other developers need to step in, but they aren't. I have had enough of Metroid and Mario for this generation. There are too few 3rd parties releasing anything remotely interesting so I turned attention to a different console where many things seem to be catered for.

I don't think they have lost it i just think their games are getting old. Get some more franchises out there. I'd like to see more potential, games like Disaster is a good start.

But that's exactly Nintendo's strategy at the moment: Letting the 3rd parties have their time in the sun. :)

As far as I'm aware it's constantly Night-time for the Wii's 3rd parties. I was contemplating buying Boom Blox, a game which is basically glorified jenga that is marketed at toddlers, because there were no other intriguing titles.

Do you understand the difference between leaving someone in the dark and abandoning them.

The one does not rule out the other.

As I've said before is that my point isn't whether Nintendo have abandoned us or not. It is that we know so little about what they're doing that they might as well have.

I can make a comparasint to Toyota, since I'm a Toyota fan as well as a Nintendo fan. Toyota first pulled the plug on the Supra in 2002. Then the Celica in 2005 and finally the MR2 in 2007. Toyota had gone more mainstream, but however they promised a sportscar would remain in their catalogue. What did the fans get? The Corolla GTI. Thank you very friggin' much. Toyota don't say anything, untill a few months back. A new Celica was in the works. When the facts were made public, people were dissapointed. Why? It was going to be made by Subaru, use a boxer engine and will only be available in Japan. And then we just have rumors about a new Supra, a new MR2, a completely new model, but the official story is: no sportscar from Toyota for the Americans and Europeans. Toyota migh be holding something secret like Nintendo claim they are, but the world is clueless.

And that's what Mariokart felt like: a Corolla GTI. A car for everyone, with a few visual tweaks and a tiny bit of extra horsepower for the gullible.

As far as I'm aware it's constantly Night-time for the Wii's 3rd parties. I was contemplating buying Boom Blox, a game which is basically glorified jenga that is marketed at toddlers, because there were no other intriguing titles.

Oh dear, oh dear. How old are you?

Why did it need to look like that? It is just off-putting. The presentation and music is awful. I don't want to play a game like that. I have no problem with games intended for younger audiences but this just went out of it's way to be irritating. Underneath it actually looked like it could be fun.

But that's exactly Nintendo's strategy at the moment: Letting the 3rd parties have their time in the sun. :)

I sort of think that too, but I'm not sure they're doing it on purpose. I mean, The Conduit, CoD 5, Mushroom Men and Fatal Frame are all nice and all, and will be really enjoyable, but I doubt they're unforgettable. If Nintendo really went for that, they would have ensured there was something to replace their usual 1-3 killer apps. I don't see anything in the lineup that can replace a Nintendo title.

I still hope for Nintendo to make a surprise announcement of "Pikmin 3/FF:CC coming out this year" or announcing Kid Icarus or F-Zero or something. One more core-ish Nintendo title will do the trick for me.

Oh, and darkjak, it's time for you to buy a 360. It's fine you feel abandoned, but let your mom put up with your emo-ness, and not us, please. You're not going to convince anybody here.

I sort of think that too, but I'm not sure they're doing it on purpose. I mean, The Conduit, CoD 5, Mushroom Men and Fatal Frame are all nice and all, and will be really enjoyable, but I doubt they're unforgettable. If Nintendo really went for that, they would have ensured there was something to replace their usual 1-3 killer apps. I don't see anything in the lineup that can replace a Nintendo title.

Exactly what I was thinking (happy bday btw mate :D) There's nothing to go down in the history books (unless conduit really blossoms which could actually happen) so it doesn't seem reasonable for Nintendo to have done it as a strategy.

Frankly the "their letting the 3rd parties have a shot" arguement sounds like a poor excuse from ppl who upset by:

1) Nintendo not giving them a new game they want to play until well into 2009

2) The fact that 3rd parties still aren't fully committed to putting out quality titles in comparison to their HD efforts.

Oh, and darkjak, it's time for you to buy a 360. It's fine you feel abandoned, but let your mom put up with your emo-ness, and not us, please. You're not going to convince anybody here.

Highly mature comment there.

And yes, you all share my oppinion: we don't know shit!

Say what now? I think you need to lay off the sugar and caffeine and troll juice ok dude?

What are you, a fucking Jedi?

I'm not quite sure but it looks like we're inevitably going round in circles here and retreading the same old ground, with a bit of name calling thrown in to spice it all up. Could be time for a lock and a cool off.