Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Has Nintendo really lost it?

Chris the great

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let me go over these 'games' with my o.p...

-Bwii - Haven't played, reviews seem positive.

-Brain Academy - Casual

-DK Barrel Blast - Haven't played, don't care

-Endless Ocean - Casual/non-gamer/no-pointer game

-Excite Truck - Good driving game, weak overall in terms of content...Half-assed game

-Fire Emblem - Haven't played, vaguely interested but may change my mind as I go to buy...

-Zelda:TP - Gamecube port and the weakest Zelda out of the 4 3D ones imo

-Link's Crossbow Training - Casual/demo

-Mario & Sonic At The Olympics - Casual

-Mario Kart Wii - A game that could have had so much depth, but got nerfed perhaps out of laziness or perhaps to entice these new casuals.

-Mario Party 8 - ...

-Mario Strikers Charged - Same as MK/Half-assed game, not worthy of the price mark.-Metroid Prime - I disliked it, but its of good quality so can't fault

-Pokémon Battle Revolution - Wasted opportunity to create a game purely for the core, but instead turned into something of an expansion pak...for full price. cashcow/half-assed game.

-Super Mario Galaxy - Even though it was easy, still a top class game but it is the only one in this list of that calibre.

-Super Paper Mario - Another wasted effort, another potential important core game dumbed down and simplified.

-Super Smash Bros Brawl - Best game on the Wii, but nothing new gameplay-wise with extremely weak online options.

-Wario Land - Casual

-Wii Chess - ...LOL

-Wii Fit - You call this a game?

-Wii Play - Casual

-Wii Sports - casual trend setter.

So what does that leave for those with a good level of intelligence who won't throw away £30-£40 on some weak-arse, atrocity of a game? When for the same price you got complete, fully tweaked games, with great depth on other consoles...Motherf*ck the Wii. They sure arn't appealling to me.

My god ... :nono:

Is Super Mario Galaxy alone not rock-solid proof that Nintendo does indeed still care about us?

...One game in 1.6 years should be proof enough to suggest Nintendo are trully aiming to cater for the needs of it's core? ...Excuse me for a second...Gahahahahahahahaahh LMAO LOL....ROTFL.....

Nothing personal.

They sure arn't appealling to me.

Exactly. Notice how much of your criticism is entirely subjective.

...One game in 1.6 years should be proof enough to suggest Nintendo are trully aiming to cater for the needs of it's core? ...Excuse me for a second...Gahahahahahahahaahh LMAO LOL....ROTFL.....

Nothing personal.

There isn't just one great game for the Wii. SMG alone is proof enough that Nintendo still has the core in mind. Otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered. Which they quite as easily could have.

Congratulations, this is officially the biggest load of shit I've read on these forums in YEARS! And I've read posts by Bard and Daft :D

Hahaha, when even dazzybee, my personal favourite "selective use of facts" poster, is right you know you're doing it wrong.

Mariokart was rushed out. Otherwise it would reach up to Nintendos own quality standards, and we wouldn't have been complaining. And Excitetruck is also a cashcow. Considering it sold badly, it was a bad cashcow, but it nontheless was a cashcow. The basic idea was pretty much: "oh look, no racers for launch except for GT Pro series, a port of a GC game that sucked in the first place. Let's earn some money of the racing fans. What franchise haven't we used for a while? Excitebike? Well, it'll be too expensive to make physics and animations for motorcycles, so let's swap them for trucks, and call it excitetruck".

Again somewhat agree that Mario Kart wasn't the game it could have been but how the hell does that make it a cashcow?

Atless anyone can prove the opposite, you can most truly say that Nintendo have abandoned the fans, and noone can proove me wrong. Practically every core game we have on the earlier list was known about at the time of the Wii's launch. No new core games have been added. Nintendo have so to speak, thrown out the baby with the bathing water. When gaming yet again becomes untrendy, the cool kids will forget gaming, and Nintendo will be dead in the water. With no casuals, and having treated their core audience like pure shit, the Wii 2 might fare worse than the Dreamcast.

doing-it-wrong.jpg

incorrect.jpg

IncorrectAnswer.gif

wrong-way-sign-higher-res.jpg

doing-it-wrong-ball.jpg

20070710-231950.jpg

wrong03.jpg

Damn, I'm unfortunately used to being in the camp arguing "against" Nintendo on this forum these days but some people are just plain dumb.

There isn't just one great game for the Wii. SMG alone is proof enough that Nintendo still has the core in mind. Otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered. Which they quite as easily could have.

I would argue that, once again, the difficulty of the game was nerfed for the casuals pleasure. I would also argue Galaxy was long in production before Nintendo acquired this hidden casual army who are willing to trade good money for dire games.

My god ... :nono:

Is Super Mario Galaxy alone not rock-solid proof that Nintendo does indeed still care about us?

Go back and re read what I previously wrote. We knew about Mario Galaxy at the time of the release of the Wii. How many core games have been announced since the release? Mariokart Wii and... emmm... errr.... Animal Crossing Town Folks.

And yes, I've played Excitetruck. It was fun for about half an hour. The game had virtually no appeal to the core gamer, although, as I previously said, it's more fun than Motorstorm.

And talking about the list of developers. That is PRECISELY my point. We don't know shit about what Nintendo are up to. They could be working on seven different core titles that will blow us all away, but we might also have to wait untill the last year of the Wii's lifespan before we se a single one. As I've said: Nintendo have made no core announcements the last year. That's one whole year without any core first or second party announcements. In other words: nobody can prove me wrong. Had there been a single slip of tung, or a leaked screen of a core game, and I would have no point. But the thing is that, there isn't any evidence on the face of the planet that I'm wrong. That the Mario team is working can mean that there's going to be a Super Mario Snowball war, and that the Zelda team is working can mean that we're gonna see Links Crossbow training 2. There is absolutely NO evidence. I've felt like this for a while, but E3 just made me go ballistic.

I will shut up the moment Nintendo make a core announcement. Until then I rest my case.

@Gizmo

Motivation please

Ok, let me go over these 'games' with my o.p...

So what does that leave for those with a good level of intelligence who won't throw away £30-£40 on some weak-arse, atrocity of a game? When for the same price you got complete, fully tweaked games, with great depth on other consoles...Motherf*ck the Wii. They sure arn't appealling to me.

Nothing personal.

Look at that, he gets laid and he thinks he's man now ;)

Seriously though, peoples opinions bafle me. What is wrong with your so called 'casual' games? Why is that bad thing? We don't want every game to be an epic adventure do we, what about the quick blast games? Also, most of your 'casual' games are GREAT multiplayer games, those of us with friends (:D) love these because we have great times in a group.

Another point, how the fuck is Wario Land 'casual"

Please explain to me how Mario Kart is dumbed down? All I see is the best Mario Kart there's been.

Endless Ocean - no pointer game? Fuck me, have you even played it. I would be a grand the answer is NO. I have, and although I don't love it, I can appreciate it for what it is.

M&S Olympics - casual. What the fuck is that even supposed to mean. That doesn't tell anyone what you think of the game in anyway. It's like saying "Halo 3 - has an H in it". Do you like the game? I think it's great and the best olympics game in YEARS!!! Or maybe you'd rather play Beijing 09 (snigger).

And lastly how is Mario Strikers a half-assed game? You're seriously baffling me with the vaguest opinions in the world. You said thi sis my opinion, but theres barely an opinion in there, though I get a sense that you think games are crap on the Wii.......

Look at that, he gets laid and he thinks he's man now ;)

Seriously though, peoples opinions bafle me. What is wrong with your so called 'casual' games? Why is that bad thing? We don't want every game to be an epic adventure do we, what about the quick blast games? Also, most of your 'casual' games are GREAT multiplayer games, those of us with friends (:D) love these because we have great times in a group.

Another point, how the fuck is Wario Land 'casual"

Please explain to me how Mario Kart is dumbed down? All I see is the best Mario Kart there's been.

Endless Ocean - no pointer game? Fuck me, have you even played it. I would be a grand the answer is NO. I have, and although I don't love it, I can appreciate it for what it is.

M&S Olympics - casual. What the fuck is that even supposed to mean. That doesn't tell anyone what you think of the game in anyway. It's like saying "Halo 3 - has an H in it". Do you like the game? I think it's great and the best olympics game in YEARS!!! Or maybe you'd rather play Beijing 09 (snigger).

And lastly how is Mario Strikers a half-assed game? You're seriously baffling me with the vaguest opinions in the world. You said thi sis my opinion, but theres barely an opinion in there, though I get a sense that you think games are crap on the Wii.......

LOL...Before you've even began stating your point I declare you and your opinions to be inferior due to your weak, snide cheap-shot.

Go back and re read what I previously wrote. We knew about Mario Galaxy at the time of the release of the Wii. How many core games have been announced since the release? Mariokart Wii and... emmm... errr.... Animal Crossing Town Folks.

And yes, I've played Excitetruck. It was fun for about half an hour. The game had virtually no appeal to the core gamer, although, as I previously said, it's more fun than Motorstorm.

And talking about the list of developers. That is PRECISELY my point. We don't know shit about what Nintendo are up to. They could be working on seven different core titles that will blow us all away, but we might also have to wait untill the last year of the Wii's lifespan before we se a single one. As I've said: Nintendo have made no core announcements the last year. That's one whole year without any core first or second party announcements. In other words: nobody can prove me wrong. Had there been a single slip of tung, or a leaked screen of a core game, and I would have no point. But the thing is that, there isn't any evidence on the face of the planet that I'm wrong. That the Mario team is working can mean that there's going to be a Super Mario Snowball war, and that the Zelda team is working can mean that we're gonna see Links Crossbow training 2. There is absolutely NO evidence. I've felt like this for a while, but E3 just made me go ballistic.

I will shut up the moment Nintendo make a core announcement. Until then I rest my case.

What are you on about man. What the fuck is a core gamer? Please tell me. I have played games since the ZX Spectrum and have owened every home computer, handheld and home console since then. I spend probably over a hundred pound a month (AT LEAST) on games and play them most days of my life. For me, I would say I was a core gamer. I have Excitetruck and I also have Motostorm on the PS3 and Flatout on the 360 (the games most similar). I would play Excitetruck hands down over the others!!!

What do you mean 'offer the core gamer'? What does that mean? Surely if a game is great to play then that should be a pretty decent starting point. Or does a core gamer like games that take at least 100 hours to see everything in the game?!?!! What is it, because somewhere over the past 5 years I seem to have been confused as to its meaning

LOL...Before you've even began stating your point I declare you and your opinions to be inferior due to your weak, snide cheap-shot.

I was only joking :D

-Bwii I haven't played it but I've herd its good

-Brain Academy One Brain Game was enough

-DK Barrel Blast I heard this one was bad

-Endless Ocean I've heard good things but probably not the game for me

-Excite Truck One of the most fun Wii games. Would have been better with online but still a great game

-Fire Emblem If its anything like the GCN one, I'm all for it, though I still need to get this one

-Zelda:TP Who cares if it wasn't the best Zelda, Any zelda is still a great game

-Link's Crossbow Training Haven't played but probably not so good

-Mario & Sonic At The Olympics Not a Nintendo game, Developed by Sega

-Mario Kart Wii The online was great, the single player was a little toned down but still worth a buy

-Mario Party 8 They made 8 too many

-Mario Strikers Charged I've heard good things but I'm not really into sports games

-Metroid Prime 3 One of the best games on the console, absolutely brilliant

-Pokémon Battle Revolution It probably wasn't that great if you didn't have diamond or pearl, but If you did it was a great game and worth full price just for the online

-Super Mario Galaxy The best 3d Mario game amazing everything

-Super Paper Mario I haven't played it yet but I've heard good things

-Super Smash Bros Brawl Everything was improved over Melee, SSE was great, heck all the modes were great.

-Wario Land I'm not sure how this could be considered casual, It could end up being a great game

-Wii Chess I've never even seen this, was it only PAL

-Wii Fit I haven't played it, but I think it was needed to keep up casual sales

-Wii Play Tanks And Billiards were good, everything else was Crap. Free remote was a bonus though.

-Wii Sports Much needed to get casual gamers to buy the console

I would argue that, once again, the difficulty of the game was nerfed for the casuals pleasure. I would also argue Galaxy was long in production before Nintendo acquired this hidden casual army who are willing to trade good money for dire games.

Is it so? I've heard differently about Luigi's coin challenges. The last part is true, but it doesn't prove that Nintendo doesn't care for the core gamer anymore.

@ darkjak:

You ask us to prove you wrong. But you haven't proved anything yourself. All your so-called arguments are just as much speculation as ours.

Have a look at gamecube first year software list and at Wii first year software list.

Yes, and you will find full, non-filler, non-'swing the controller like a bat', non-end-in-fifteen-minutes games in the majority. Quality over quantity always.

Because of that mantra, with the GC, I felt like a guru of sorts against other console owners. I felt like that quiet, non-intruding sensei with his hands at his back, standing patiently knowing that the games I'm playing are full of quality and I'm proud of them...But now, the feeling surely isn't the same with these production values.

Yes, and you will find full, non-filler, non-'swing the controller like a bat', non-end-in-fifteen-minutes games in the majority. Quality over quantity always.

Because of that mantra, with the GC, I felt like a guru of sorts against other console owners. I felt like that quiet, non-intruding sensei with his hands at his back, standing patiently knowing that the games I'm playing are full of quality and I'm proud of them...But now, the feeling surely isn't the same with these production values.

But we have those games! We just have all the shit as well!

Galaxy is better than sunshine. MK Wii is better than Double Dash. Metroid is AS good as Prime 1. Twilight Princess is better than Wind Waker. There are loads of quality titles on the Wii, but people seem to just look at the shit and ignore everything else. It's like the great titles are getting hidden, but they are there!

Is it so? I've heard differently about Luigi's coin challenges. The last part is true, but it doesn't prove that Nintendo doesn't care for the core gamer anymore.

@ darkjak:

You ask us to prove you wrong. But you haven't proved anything yourself. All your so-called arguments are just as much speculation as ours.

You knew about every single core first and second party Wii game by the time of the Wii launch, bar Mariokart, right? That means that in nearly 2 years Nintendo have made ONE core announcement. That's what I've proven. That can be interpreted as if Nintendo stopped planning core games as soon as they realised that they had succeeded in getting the casual audience. In other words, they've abandoned us. And noone can prove me wrong, atless he works at Nintendo. That Nintendo are promising stuff doesent mean crotch, since Reggie promised LOTS of core games to be at E3, and what did we get? NOTHING.

Any core Nintendo announcement can prove me wrong, but to be serious I expected this announcement LAST E3. That it didn't happen this time arround basically made me, like I've already said, gone ballistic.

Simply racking up the games for the different systems won't cut it. First of all, this is the first generation we've had to put up with the casual games, second where's quality over quantity? And third, I'm talking about what games that have been announced.

List of First years on all Nintendo systems:

NES:

Excitebike

Clu Clu Land

Tennis

Pinball

Wild Gunman

Duck Hunt

Golf

Hogan's Alley

Baseball

Donkey Kong Jr. Math

Ice Climber

Kung-Fu

Wrecking Crew

Stack-Up

Gyromite

Super Mario Bros

Mach Rider

10-Yard Fight

SNES:

Super Mario World

F-Zero

Pilotwings

Sim City

Super Tennis

Mario Paint

Super Mario Kart

Super Scope 6

Battle Clash

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Super Play Action Football

NCAA Basketball

Super Soccer

N64:

Super Mario 64

Pilotwings 64

Wave Race 64

Killer Instinct Gold

Cruis'n USA

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Mario Kart 64

Blast Corps

Bomberman 64

Diddy Kong Racing

GoldenEye 007

Star Fox 64

Tetrisphere

Mischief Makers

GCN:

Luigi's Mansion

Pikmin

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Wave Race: Blue Storm

Doubutsu no Mori + (Japan Only)

Animal Crossing

Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Mario Party 4

Metroid Prime

NBA Courtside 2002

Star Fox Adventures

Super Mario Sunshine

Wii:

-Bwii

-Brain Academy

-DK Barrel Blast

-Endless Ocean

-Excite Truck

-Fire Emblem

-Zelda:TP

-Link's Crossbow Training

-Mario Kart Wii

-Mario Party 8

-Mario Strikers Charged

-Metroid Prime 3

-Pokémon Battle Revolution

-Super Mario Galaxy

-Super Paper Mario

-Super Smash Bros Brawl

-Wario Land

-Wii Chess

-Wii Fit

-Wii Play

-Wii Sports

You knew about every single core first and second party Wii game by the time of the Wii launch, bar Mariokart, right? That means that in nearly 2 years Nintendo have made ONE core announcement. That's what I've proven. That can be interpreted as if Nintendo stopped planning core games as soon as they realised that they had succeeded in getting the casual audience. In other words, they've abandoned us. Any core Nintendo announcement can prove me wrong, but to be serious I expected this announcement LAST E3. That it didn't happen this time arround basically made me, like I've already said, gone ballistic.

Dear lord ...

Where did you learn logic? Nintendo has said that they won't announce games too early because it builds up hype which eventually hurts the game. Saying that the lack of announcements means Nintendo has abandoned us is conclusion-jumping at its best (read: worst).

Dear lord ...

Where did you learn logic? Nintendo has said that they won't announce games too early because it builds up hype which eventually hurts the game. Saying that the lack of announcements means Nintendo has abandoned us is conclusion-jumping at its best (read: worst).

I'm fully aware that they have said that they will announce games first 3 months before release. But that still doesent prove me wrong. ONE core game announced over a period of nearly two years. Don't you think that's a tad little? I mean, all will be forgiven if Nintendo will announce a new AAA title every 2 months from let's say october, but that isn't going to happen. My guess is that we'll get lucky if we get one every six months.

That it is or isn't so that Nintendo have abandoned us isn't the deal. It's that right now, noone can prove the one or the other. We don't know if we'll get a new Zelda in four months, or if we'll have to wait for Starfox until the last year of the Wii. THAT is my point.

@Gizmo

Instead of making a new post, I'll just highlight the important stuff above and ask you to re read it.