NEurope
jayseven

lols, Sheffield Meet Sat Sept 20th '08

Soo... I'm guessing nobody's going to take the initiative and start suggesting a hostel, or something? No? Well ya should. Don't rely on me as I've got my bed sorted for the night :P

I'm at the 'Uni Of' and i'm at Opal 2.

I think I can move in on the 20th, if so i'll be seeing you guys then.

Opal 2! That's the one with the scary statue outside innit? Right in between the dev cat and the washington, near Dev Green (which was another potential meeting place, but to be honest all the emo kids hang there and it's just annoying)

I also don't really understand the problem of going to the meet with regards to when you're moving your stuff in.

hmm, i feel obligated as its my hometown 151559__springsteen_l-1.jpg

But I'm moving down to London at the beginning of september. I can come back for it but is there any chance people would wanna just do the end of august instead whilst most people are still on holiday? Just a suggestion

also for anyone going from london or leicester or i think derby aswell i'll double check, you can get the mega train to sheffield for mad cheap in advance.

http://www.megabus.com

do it, doo itt nowww!!

DENIED! I've set a date. Yeah, who says my word is rule eh? ... I've just come back from sheffield. I got coach up there (£20ish in total, from brighton) and train back (£15! bargain).

Not gonna be able to make this, it's the start of freshers week for me. Which I won't miss :p

Alot of people going jay seem to either be very near or live there so I don't think it's going to be needed?

Unless some people let others stay over at theres? Apprently I can either move in the 13/14th or the 20/21st, I'm trying to get my mum to help me for the 13th because either way my dads out and I'd rather have a week at shefs before hand rather than a day.

You'll want to go early to make friends with all the other people who move in. There's usually a week where everyone gets to know each other before it all really starts. :)

You'll want to go early to make friends with all the other people who move in. There's usually a week where everyone gets to know each other before it all really starts. :)

Indeed ^_^, I'm hoping I can move earlier, that way I've got two weeks before I need to start 'real' work. Plus I can meet you all then.

Someone already does on a monthly basis. :indeed:

http://nintendods.meetup.com/10/[/quote

I personally wouldn't attend a meet like that, at least on n-e I'd be able to tell who I'm sort of going to meet?

Yes because you never know who's going to beat you to death with a DS Lite/Phat in the early afternoon in a public area...

:) you can post on a forum all you like but you never know the real person till you meet them in person. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith to meet other people that share a common intrest in gaming.

Yes because you never know who's going to beat you to death with a DS Lite/Phat in the early afternoon in a public area...

:) you can post on a forum all you like but you never know the real person till you meet them in person. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith to meet other people that share a common intrest in gaming.

Obviously, but going to a meet where you frankly can't put even one face to a name is alot worse imo. Besides meeting people in public is bad enough, why make it worse for yourself :)

Obviously, but going to a meet where you frankly can't put even one face to a name is alot worse imo. Besides meeting people in public is bad enough, why make it worse for yourself :)

I do actively encourage new members to upload a photograph to make identifying people that little easier. :)

If your happy to continue spinning meetup's in a negative way then your going for Gold. But there are plenty of new people/members who join both DS: London and DS: Birmingham who don't know anyone.

Being the new person is never easy, but once you overcome the nerves/break the ice then 9/10 your glad you made the effort.

I do actively encourage new members to upload a photograph to make identifying people that little easier. :)

If your happy to continue spinning meetup's in a negative way then your going for Gold. But there are plenty of new people/members who join both DS: London and DS: Birmingham who don't know anyone.

Being the new person is never easy, but once you overcome the nerves/break the ice then 9/10 your glad you made the effort.

I'm not actively doing anything, meeting people off the internet is dangerous regardless, surely you should know that? It's not difficult to grab a picture off somebody's facebook and pretend it is your own.

With everything it should be done with common sense. It's not about being the new person, it's about your own personal safety, of course meeting people is new and exciting!

Now can we move back to the meet itself? :)

we should all go to corp! that'd be awesome

Anywhere but Corp. Anywhere.

I'm not actively doing anything, meeting people off the internet is dangerous regardless, surely you should know that? It's not difficult to grab a picture off somebody's facebook and pretend it is your own.

With everything it should be done with common sense. It's not about being the new person, it's about your own personal safety, of course meeting people is new and exciting!

Now can we move back to the meet itself? :)

Safety is Important and that's why I only let members 18+ Join for the reason that your reponsible for yourself. It's also why I chose to host meetups in the early afternoon and not late at night. I've also opted for a public location in a family environment as well (Bowling Alley)

Safety is Important and that's why I only let members 18+ Join for the reason that your reponsible for yourself. It's also why I chose to host meetups in the early afternoon and not late at night. I've also opted for a public location in a family environment as well (Bowling Alley)

Good stuff.

Something I forget to post earlier.

If people can't afford hostels/hotel rooms why not opt to Couch Surf?

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

For anyone that doesn't know it's a sight that lets you host/stay at a persons house for a set number of agreed nights. They either supply you with a couch/pull out bed/spare room and at the end you get to rate each other/leave feedback.

Something I forget to post earlier.

If people can't afford hostels/hotel rooms why not opt to Couch Surf?

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

For anyone that doesn't know it's a sight that lets you host/stay at a persons house for a set number of agreed nights. They either supply you with a couch/pull out bed/spare room and at the end you get to rate each other/leave feedback.

Isn't that dangerous?

Isn't that dangerous?

Nothing is without danger. But if you take the time to visit the site you can read the FAQ and find out all about the safety features.

I did it last year in New York for a week and had no problems at all. It also saved me a fortune on spending money on renting an apartment/hotel. In fact I stayed with a lovely family who were both helpful, accomdating and very informative.

I might be able to attend. Should the worse happen, would anyone be able to offer me lodgings?

At the moment my parents want me to move into halls on the 20th, as much as I'd rather move in the week before, so unless people are staying til late at this meet then I won't be able to attend.

At the moment my parents want me to move into halls on the 20th, as much as I'd rather move in the week before, so unless people are staying til late at this meet then I won't be able to attend.

Same here really, I'd like to make a proper day of it if I'm using monies to attend.