N-Europe

All Blacks vs Ireland

conzer16

Who do you think will win?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

So Ireland is playing the All Blacks tomorrow for the 21st time and hopefully we can make it our first win in 103 years. Yes, Ireland has never beaten New Zealand in 20 previous attempts.

New Zealand have named a side that is radically different from the team that crashed out of the World Cup against France in Cardiff last September and while there is renewed vigour amongst the supporters down here after what was regarded as an ultimate in New Zealand rugby, there is an air of concern that Ireland might just have the beating of them.

Considering I've been in New Zealand for over 4 months now, I have witnessed how truly self centered their domestic competitions and outlook on international rugby is. The Super 14 competition which just wound up about a week ago was hardly full of the awe inspiring scintillating rugby that the name "All Blacks" seems to exude.

In my opinion, the Super 14 was nothing more than a glorified sponsorship event and one where the top sides in Europe could easily compete in and win. The Canterbury Crusaders, the best side in Super rugby history - and this season's champions yet again - only have 5 representatives in the All Blacks squad.

The 2 best New Zealand coaches of the modern game, Gatland and Deans, are plying their trade with Wales and Australia respectively and there were only 26,000 fans at the S14 final held at the Crusaders home ground!!

The superiority that was once the hallmark of the Kiwi game has dissipated. They once used their reputation to create a soul destroying fear in their opposition that would almost have them beaten by the time the game came round - then their glorified song and dance routine before every game tipped their opposition over the edge. As Irish captain Brian O'Driscoll has said already, nobody fears the Haka anymore - just as nobody fears the New Zealand team anymore.

Ireland have a great opportunity to lay to rest the agonisingly close games of 2 years ago and with a near 100% team named for the game tomorrow have their best chance ever. A team laden with Heineken Cup winners, Magners League winners and Guinness Premiership winners speaks volumes against a side with barely 5 cup holders.

As the Irish quietly exude a confidence that belies their current ranking the team that runs out onto the turf of Wellington at 7.35pm tomorrow (local time, 8.35am Irish time) will find it hard to waste Ireland greatest chance to defeat the antipodean islanders who for so long have rattled the cages of Irish rugby and instilled the fear of god into the heart of every northern hemisphere player.

Tomorrow is Ireland's chance. Take it.

Win.

edit: Feel free to add your own thoughts and ideas about the game etc.

(It's a times like this I wish motion was still around!)

I'll be honest Fish, I really hope England beat them too. After living here I'm sick to death of their cockiness, their arrogance and downright disregard for ANY other rugby nation.

It's time the Northern Hemisphere teams put them in their place.

I'll be honest Fish, I really hope England beat them too. After living here I'm sick to death of their cockiness, their arrogance and downright disregard for ANY other rugby nation.

It's time the Northern Hemisphere teams put them in their place.

Well, judging by the last Six Nations, Wales are the best team for that. :heh:

Before the Rugby terminology clicked in my head, for a splitsecond I thought it was a poll between who'd win in a battle between every black person in the world and the entire population of Ireland. :wtf:

Before the Rugby terminology clicked in my head, for a splitsecond I thought it was a poll between who'd win in a battle between every black person in the world and the entire population of Ireland. :wtf:

Tsk, the joke was already used. We appreciate the effort, though. :smile: