NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

EDGE gave this a 6. I've not got the magazine yet, should come tomorrow but I'm quite disappointed this didn't score higher. I'll post up the general gist of the review when I get it.

A ridiculous score, a fantastic game with very few flaws, flaws that are actually common in this kind of game and that no one had the balls to do on home consoles until now and they give it a 6. And people wonder why I don't like EDGE reviews. I know I haven't read it and what counts is the text, not the score but still.

And again, there is NO LAG whatsoever with the motion control.

Wasn't Edge, like... The one who gave Lair 8?

I could be wrong, but i remember it that way from somewhere :S

Either way, giving 4 to SBCG4AP = Unattractive Uncool people, you should only read reviews for Attractive and/or Cool people :nono:

That was just a rumour, they actually gave it a 3.

I disagree with the 3, Lair wasn't 'that' bad..i would just go by your own taste and not listen to magazine scores. :)

Yeah, just don't read anything Edge puts for their reviews. I don't see any real ground for anyone to be majorly critical for Wario Land. Reviewers that fail to see past the design choice the developers took with this are just fueling the horrible and false conception that 2D platformers are dead on home consoles.

Yeah, just don't read anything Edge puts for their reviews. I don't see any real ground for anyone to be majorly critical for Wario Land. Reviewers that fail to see past the design choice the developers took with this are just fueling the horrible and false conception that 2D platformers are dead on home consoles.

Braid. EDGE gave it a 9.

Anyway the review is actually really good and seems fair to me as it certainly heaps praise for the animation of Wario and some of the level's design. However they say it falls short by reusing the same tedious mechanics while the actual good ideas are used sparely. One such example was the three submarine sections while the tilt controlled space ship was used only once and only for a minute at that. They also commented on the reward system being shambolic, and they wonder what happened to Twisted's rewards for pretty much everything.

The last paragraph does sum it nicely (at least for me);

"Shake is at it's best when emulating the obnoxiousness and buffoonery of its hero. That it occasionally bows to his stupidity is an unexpected disappointment."

Tell me what their problem was with Strong Bad please, I fail to see how they can give it such a rubbish score.

Braid. EDGE gave it a 9.

Anyway the review is actually really good and seems fair to me as it certainly heaps praise for the animation of Wario and some of the level's design. However they say it falls short by reusing the same tedious mechanics while the actual good ideas are used sparely. One such example was the three submarine sections while the tilt controlled space ship was used only once and only for a minute at that. They also commented on the reward system being shambolic, and they wonder what happened to Twisted's rewards for pretty much everything.

The last paragraph does sum it nicely (at least for me);

"Shake is at it's best when emulating the obnoxiousness and buffoonery of its hero. That it occasionally bows to his stupidity is an unexpected disappointment."

Pretty much the usual EDGE review where they point out things just for the sake of being snobs.

It's true that things such as the sub and whatnot are rare and there aren't as many transformations as usual but that's precisely why they're awesome, because they don't happen all the time. There is absolutely no repetition of tedious mechanics, first, because there are no tedious mechanics, second because they don't overuse anything, be it the shaking or throwing, it's mostly platforming and knowing the levels. I'm betting if the game used more gadgets and whatnot they would say it overused gimmicks. And when I say "I bet", I'm pretty sure they would do this.

Shambolic rewards? Funny, cause you know, this genre (which is very much alive, there are just so many platformers on home consoles these days) usally gives out loads of rewards and has multiple objectives for each level. Guess they should criticize every 360 game because of the achievments then?

Also, haven't played braid, but isn't that more of a puzzle game?

It's not a really a puzzle game in the usual sense of the word. It does make you think but the core game play is the platforming and time reversal.

And their problem with Strong Bad is they didn't like it. Basically they say its short on interaction and although it picks up around the middle of the episode they question whether people would actually want to spend time loafing in the HR universe or rather just go on via their web browser.

Edge isn't to trust...

FFS, they gave Halo 3 10 and Metroid Prime 3 7

Now, that's hypocrisy, both of them are all of the same, and the concept of Metroid Prime is much better than Halo, there's no excuse

Yeah I'm not even going to bother with that one Maase, except the fact that Halo 3 brought alot more to the table than Metroid did.

Oh noes, someone's opinion is different to mine!

Edge for me seem to get it it right more often than most review sites. Couldn't comment on Wario Land obviously as I haven't played it.

And Maase, tbh, I preferred Halo over Metroid. I'm not much of a fan of Metroid or Halo in general, but while single player was a little boring, Halo was fantastic in terms of it's online functionailty/forge/video stuff etc etc. MP3 was only a single player game. You can't just say "MP is better in concept therefore Edge are wrong".

Also, why don't I have my copy of Edge yet? Is it another bloody bank holiday today?

Nah I got mine today Gizmo though some people got it on saturday. I have to say it though that this issue is massive also anybody slightly intrested in games design/programming etc courses should buy it as it has a massive feature on it. Shame it dosn't mention Computer Science but oh well.

Sounds awesome. Thats something I love about Edge; the stuff they do abotu the industry. I was at one point interested in going into Comp Sci or something at Uni and becoming a programmer (though I'm now unsure about that) so it should be a great read.

Hopefully my sister hid the mail this morning before she went out and will produce it later, if not it better be here tomorrow.

Oh noes, someone's opinion is different to mine!

Isn't that what the forum's for? To post when we agree/disagree with someone? I might be mistaken though.

And their problem with Strong Bad is they didn't like it. Basically they say its short on interaction and although it picks up around the middle of the episode they question whether people would actually want to spend time loafing in the HR universe or rather just go on via their web browser.

I have to disagree - I've completed it three times and thought the level of interaction was brilliant. Even if an item doesn't work with something/someone, you usually get a humourous response from Strong Bad. The story is completely wacky, it's laugh out loud funny and there's plenty to see and do. 4 is way to low, to be honest.

£7 for 3-5 hours on your first go is a bargain, too.

Isn't that what the forum's for? To post when we agree/disagree with someone? I might be mistaken though.

Yeah, but I'm more referring to everyone acting like EDGE is suddenly the devil because they didn't like Strong Bad or Wario Land.

Yeah, but I'm more referring to everyone acting like EDGE is suddenly the devil because they didn't like Strong Bad or Wario Land.

Then aren't people allowed a opinion not to like Edges opinion? :heh:

I'm pretty sure I only said I disagreed with them, not condemned them to the bowels of Hell.

I think that putting IMO in every post we make in a forum isn't needed, Gizmo :\

Then aren't people allowed a opinion not to like Edges opinion? :heh:

Checkmate, Jin and Yhatzee.

Just a heads up; You can register your interest for Wario Land on the NoE website and get 50 extra stars now.

Dissapointing score and criticism. If it really is too easy that's such a game killer for me. A shame really, especially since Eurogamer is the site which I trust by far the most.