NEurope
Platty

Happy St. George's Day!

Regardless of what the ignorant may think of this day (ala BNP), I think St George is a noteworthy figure of multiculturalism in England seeing how a Turk was appointed patron saint of England.(The sort of guys who serve you your weekly shish kebabs or who some of you spit on and mistakingly call "Kosovan". :p

I'm not really doing anything special. Obviously, I'll celebrate in my heart. But other than that, we, as a nation, need to do more. It's sorta worrying that St Patrick's day is more popular here than St Gerge's Day.

I actually forgot it was St. George's Day until I read that it was in the newspaper.

I felt like a bloody idiot. :blank:

I think we should celebrate this more.

Apparently, Morley (a town near where i used to live) is the most Patriotic town in the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7351194.stm

My brother lives in Morley. I'll be going to Leeds and there on saturday.

Regardless of what the ignorant may think of this day (ala BNP), I think St George is a noteworthy figure of multiculturalism in England seeing how a Turk was appointed patron saint of England.(The sort of guys who serve you your weekly shish kebabs or who some of you spit on and mistakingly call "Kosovan". :p

Actually he was Greek and a Roman soldier. He comes from the area where modern day Turkey now is but back then it was part of Greece.

I would have gone the whole day with out knowing if the radio hadn't been on in the car this morning! :)

HAPPY St. GEORGES DAY! :grin:

Actually he was Greek and a Roman soldier. He comes from the area where modern day Turkey now is but back then it was part of Greece.

As much as the West just loooves to romanticize with ancient Greeks and Romans (the latter who slaughtered and enslaved a lot of Britons), being Greek or Roman doesn't make him anymore English.

His still a foreign patron saint of a country riddled with high levels of xenophobic 'anxieties'.

As much as the West just loooves to romanticize with ancient Greeks and Romans (the latter who slaughtered and enslaved a lot of Britons), being Greek or Roman doesn't make him anymore English.

I didn't say it did. I just wanted to correct you. :D

His still a foreign patron saint of a country riddled with high levels of xenophobic 'anxieties'.

(because thats not the most stereotyping sentence in world - oh the double standards).

Bit late getting back on this but felt this had to be said.

Jesus! See this and your other post 'some of you spit on and mistakingly call "Kosovan".' (who are they? and should that not be some of 'us' or do you not consider your self English?.- If you mean racists should that not be 'some' of 'them'? after all im sure you dont think members here racist?) get the chip off your shoulder. 'xenophobic 'anxieties' - how? an over generalisation of other views different to your own perhap?.

Its no wonder the TV is a thunder with fanfare on saint patricks day but not a wimper on saint Georges theres not a national flag to be seen and half the population not knowing it Saint Georges day. We have had it instilled into us to feel gulity of being English with people of a certain mind set bashing the country with every given oppitunity (still in your case at least you were doing it in the name of defending a theoretical Kosovan who works in a kebab now safe from the hoards of English biggots just waiting duff him up, - very noble ;) ). Im not saying be blindly paterotic im not saying dont critise the country (but perhaps a little less generalising may be in order - just a suggestion) but it was meant to be a day to unite us all - shame you coundnt embrase that mate.

Oh and it is an occasion to celebrate being english/pride not to 'espouse English pride' and theres nothing wrong with that.

To claifiy I hate right wing nutters as much as the next guy but im also sick of the 'nu ultra left' wing attitude that steam rollers over anyone elses sensiblities with out any care as long as it 'protects' its perceived minority.

Edit - Oh and (general comment) it should be a national Holiday- suprised no ones said that.

Well ain't that noble. :heh:

Yep. If nobody corrected anybody else then we would all be wrong.

Agreed on the national holiday part - in China there's a holiday every couple of months lasting up to a week, sometimes just a few days. But England gets the royal shaft with all those crappy Bank Holidays and we don't even get the Queen's Birthday off.

I wonder if the Queen still gets the Royal Shaft?

I wonder if the Queen still gets the Royal Shaft?

I bet she get's Prince Phillip's Royal Shaft.

I bet she get's Prince Phillip's Royal Shaft.

That was what I was... oh, never mind.

And anyway, why are they called "civil" servants? Some of them are downright rude!

Arf!

That was what I was... oh, never mind.

And anyway, why are they called "civil" servants? Some of them are downright rude!

Arf!

A Civil Servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency.

In the UK, Civil Servants are those who are employed by the Crown, excluding those employed by the Monarch herself. The Civil Service therefore excludes those who are employed by Parliament and those employed by other public bodies.

:smile: