N-Europe

Soul Eater: Monotone Princess (Square-Enix)

pedrocasilva

Im talking about it because If you just sit back don't complain and pretend that this kind of lazy development is OK, then we'll continue seeing crap like this.

I don't expect Motorstorm graphics obviously, but I do expect that Wii games should be easily distinguishable from PSP ones.

Whereas, if you bitch and moan about such things on an internet forum developers will see the errors of their ways, publishers will reassign all their best teams to the Wii and all will be right with the world?

Whereas, if you bitch and moan about such things on an internet forum developers will see the errors of their ways, publishers will reassign all their best teams to the Wii and all will be right with the world?

If you bitch on their own forums, they do listen. Depends on the company though, but a prime example is EA.

I think the biggest reason why publishers are neglecting putting their top teams on the Wii is simple: The core userbase between the PS3 and 360 completely tops the small, but dedicated, core userbase of the Wii.

In other words, they'll make more money going the other way around. Look at how many third party million sellers exist on those machines in compairsion to the Wii, there really is no argument.

I'm not saying the Wii should suddenly be left with only B or C rate teams but to expect the grand majority of A teams to develop for the Wii is not exactly financially fesible, especially when considering all the technology publishers have sunk their assects to so they can develop for next-gen systems.

There are so many factors being played at hand, to expect a straight forward solution would be foolish. I am going to simply state give the Wii a little more time and give publishers a little more time to organize and if you do that, you can end up with some really positive results.

That's me though, however, let the bitching commence.

If you bitch on their own forums, they do listen. Depends on the company though, but a prime example is EA.

Very true, and ubi eventually acknowledged the criticism hurled their way. Thing is, if all you do is moan you won't get what you want; you need to put your money where your mouth is! I've seen a massive increase in whiney posts lately from people that haven't even bought some of the 'better' third-party releases. Isn't that a little hypocritical? :P

Anyway sorry to hi-jack thread! Hope this game turns out ok, you never know, the team behind it might be S-E's future bright stars! :)

I think the biggest reason why publishers are neglecting putting their top teams on the Wii is simple: The core userbase between the PS3 and 360 completely tops the small, but dedicated, core userbase of the Wii.
that's besides the point, even if they don't realize it... FF7 only had the impact it did because the masses who picked it has never played a RPG in their lives, same for FFX to some extent; hell it's a RPG aimed at pre-teens who love soap operas. Masses=casuals, as if you did a game aimed for elitist userbases before it would simply turn into a flop with cult following; just like now.

Nintendo before the Wii always, more or less focused on the so called "core userbase" thing is... this userbase has a point where it peaks, then it shrinks. And no console won a generation before with it alone, quite the contrary.

Hence why, despite the records of games like CoD4, Halo 3 and GTA4... the market for those consoles actually shrank 20% last year, sure, some games sell through the roof, but what about the other 100 FPS? some like Stranglehold cost 30 million, the price FFX and FFXII did and simply flop. Yes, because the prices multiplied themselves this gen and the profits didn't.

In other words, they'll make more money going the other way around. Look at how many third party million sellers exist on those machines in compairsion to the Wii, there really is no argument.
There is, they've put them there, and what if they had put them on the Wii? Masses don't even know what's the diference between Nintendo and Ubisoft, isn't that what Ubisoft is praying for?

Impressive how such a stupid fallacious premise holds so much ground when it can be put aside this easily. MGS4, GTA4, etc are games for the hardcore? a cinematic game with 40 minutes cutscenes and 10 hour gameplay and a sandbox game with gangster and violence that is consistently associated as asked by kids? those are pretty much core casual games too.

Wii is way cheaper to develop, requires less personnel and has a way bigger userbase. True, most third party's are quizzed by it, but Nintendo is doing fine and doing both kinds of titles. Yet third party's opt to go for the so called ignorant userbase thinking they can just shovel crap without hype and sell it because Wii fit is out of stock.

Also, the fact that they keep pulling crap on it, means stuff is selling, and the tie ratios prove it.

3rd party sales performance on US and Europe:

by-the-numbers-010_html_m4ce7f87a.png

by-the-numbers-010_html_54e6fba5.png

Impressive that they have as much with the crap they're been pulling. also, just to put things into perspective...

First 18 months of market against competitors:

Software:

Wii - 50 million (not including Wii Sports or VC titles)

X360 - 28 million

PS3 - 20 million

PS2 - 42 million

Hardware:

Wii - 9.5 million

X360 - 5.2 million

PS3 - 4.2 million

PS2 - 8.5 million

Source: http://kotaku.com/5010214/nintendo-wii-has-highest-software-sales-for-first-18-months

So, basically the Wii tie ratio is fine, but notice how it sold more total units than X360? so... if 60% of the software sales are third party... then... that's 30 million software units, more than the total of X360 in the first 18 months with everything (including third party's)

Wii is a monster, and might I add that PS2 has the lowest tie ratio last gen? yet it had several times bigger userbase, hence... actual sales were bigger, same for the Wii and that's what broad appeal means.

Every developer that doesn't aknowledge it by now is either stupid, delusional simply moronic.

And it's not that the core userbase is small compared to other platforms, for every Wii bought for the living room there's every chance there's a gamer at home, just like it did for the PS2 actually; that's what broad appeal means. While some third party's think broad appeal means different public. It doesn't. Means the same public and... more public.

For example, I bought my Wii, yet... my family uses it unlike my other consoles, so they bought Wii Fit... and I buy core games. who cares.

They wouldn't buy a Wii if I didn't have one though, 250€ is steep for non-gamers.

I'm not saying the Wii should suddenly be left with only B or C rate teams but to expect the grand majority of A teams to develop for the Wii is not exactly financially fesible, especially when considering all the technology publishers have sunk their assects to so they can develop for next-gen systems.
It is feasible, just the inconvenient truth for a lot of people and even middleware sellers (ding ding ding, EPIC!)
There are so many factors being played at hand, to expect a straight forward solution would be foolish. I am going to simply state give the Wii a little more time and give publishers a little more time to organize and if you do that, you can end up with some really positive results.
Their solution is pretty straigh forward "let's throw crap at it until it stops selling!"; the point is that it is wrong, and what supports it is how they claim to need the wii profits to fund the HD games initial cost (ubisoft's case). so... they're investing on the HD's waiting for the investment to pay off in due time? (years) If they were taking a marketing degree they'd be told that's pretty stupid, you can't run a business while loosing money or aiming to loose it, as it is also not that intelligent to go for the tiny userbases with preferential support; and those happen to be on non-leading systems. That market is shrinking already and overflooded with "me too" developers who look and see "look! CoD4 sold, let's do FPS's without hype". Profitable? only for the big boys, and even for such... how many more games could they do on the Wii with the same resources and less risk? hell, perhaps they could innovate a little even.