Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Free Tibet!!

Daft

Look at it this way, the UK has had similar issues with NI, and we didn't want the rest of the world sticking their noses in.

Free speech (within reason) is ok, so is standing up for beliefs, but violent supression is wrong.

That's a fair point, but the IRA can hardly be compared to a bunch of Buddhists protesting peacefully.

It's a very complicated situation, and it annoys me just how many people have an opinion on it despite not knowing anything about the situation. Heck, most people i know would say Tibet should be made an independent nation :indeed:

Personally my opinion is that the Dalai Lama and his peers just want they're own personal power back, whether it disadvantages the people or not. I'd like to see them step down from they're positions of power and retire the idea of Tibet as a nation. It will never happen. All they are doing at the moment is causing political unrest in the region, breeding riots.

No he's not. The Dalai Lama has always preached the Budhist middle way of peaceful negotiation, rather then put up a violent resistance to the Chinese occupation of Tibet. These protests are not unprecidented in the region, and are the result of native Tibetians becoming frustrated with the lack of progress made with the middle way policy. It's worth pointing out the the Dalai Lama has frquently made calls to the Tibetian people not to cause unrest, but they can't hear him because of the strict control the Chinese state has over it's news media.

To be honest, the only concern I have with the 'freeing' of Tibet is their economy, how do they expect to survive when their main way of life is living off hand outs from others? Tibet will eventually starve itself to death.

That was exactly how I feltduring the Kosovo incident. I'm not sure how they survived then.