Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

LittleBigPlanet Thread

Daft

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to get myself to going in create mode. I'm going to concentrate my levels into short minigames or short cool ideas.

Does anyone know why when I put an emitter on floaty material it doesn't work? Also, how do you make counters? eg 10,9,8... so that when you put an object next or into another it counts up or down?

Finally - what does the sync button do?

If anyone wants to try a level i created its called...

Forbidden Temple

Feedback would be cool.

Diageo11 right?

Sorry doublepost, I think i played your level if the above is correct. I think its got good design. Its very memory based though and i think because you published it early when making it, alot players gave it poor ratings. I gave it 5 stars because it reminds me of good quality SNES games.

You can always delete and publish new for fresh ratings. Consider the first version as a test ;)

More updates on: http://lbpreviews.blogspot.com/

3094353512_5142ac05c2_o.png

MEDIA MOLECULE

Moderation

We haven’t forgotten about those of you who have been affected by level moderation either. Changes are coming very soon, and we believe the way we check levels for inappropriate content will soon start to be received more favorably. We know it’s a big deal, and we’re very much working on it.

Rankings

We hope you noticed but within the data for each user created level, there appears the “Star rankings” associated with fellow players ranking levels.

Failed to load level

Several of you have gotten this message when playing online. This is one of the things on our list, wanted to provide some insight on the message.

The “Failed to Load Level” message happens in two basic situations - firstly, if latency or server conditions result in a time out before the level completes loading, and secondly, if you’re trying to access a level that has been moderated. Assuming that you haven’t received a moderation notice, it might well be worth trying again as it could have been a temporary issue causing the inability to load.

Lag

Wanted to explain a bit about our servers to address the issue of Lag. Online multiplayer gameplay on LBP works on a P2P principle, so the connection is as stable as the weakest link in your party. And if someone is trying to play through WLAN or has a lower connection, lag occurs. This is not to be confused with lag you may experience when accessing the servers. The servers for LittleBigPlanet act only as a gateway or matchmaking service for multiplayer games; once you’re in a level, the server is no longer part of it — it’s purely down to your connection speed and that of the people you’re playing with. We’re aware that quite a few players experience excessive amounts of laggy play and Media Molecule is working on optimizing the multiplayer netcode further in order to minimize this, however when talking about the servers, they are now for the most part stable, which should considerably reduce those occasions where the online side of the game is not available at all. We’re still working to improve things further, but we’ve already come a long way since the game launched.

Full Profiles

Some have started seeing a Full Profiles message. Essentially, there are too many items stored in your Popit menu — especially in “Community Objects” category. To make your profile “less full”, go into your Popit and delete some of the unwanted objects (pictures, objects, etc). On our end, we’re aware that there is interest in seeing profile space increasing and we’re looking into it further.

Sackbook.com

An impressive community fansite popped up last week and we were all impressed, but we’ve been in discussions with the site owner and requested the site be suspended. Chris, the site owner, was happy to work with us on this. Our intent is to be able to offer everyone the choice of whether their shared data is visible or not in order to protect everyone’s privacy, and while Sackbook was doing nothing wrong in the way it presented information and had no access to any personal data, we believe this additional option is important.

Merchandise

Lots of inquiries on this one. And yes, there are major plans for Sackboy merchandise. Expect to see a handful of announcements in the New Year. Why is it taking so long you ask? Few reasons. It’s a new IP (intellectual property) and many companies are unwilling to take a risk manufacturing a whole new line on something new and untested, which is why you always see tons of merchandise around major ‘sequel’ releases. Also, once we get companies on board, the production lead times are insanely long. Another reason is quality — we absolutely love Sackboy and want to make sure that our merchandise is the highest quality. You should see some of the samples we’ve received (not so good). Don’t worry, you’ll start seeing things soon enough.

…That’s it for this week. Don’t forget to jump in the comments below and ask some more questions. We’ll try to get to all of them, and if we don’t , no need to get frustrated. We need questions to answer for next week’s installment.

Is there any way to make an emitter emit objects such as megnetic keys? I really hope there is otherwise my plan has failed.

I've drawn up my plans in paint and I think they can work - im glad i got the ideas down because i probably would have probably forgot how to do them.

Is there any way to make an emitter emit objects such as megnetic keys? I really hope there is otherwise my plan has failed.

I've drawn up my plans in paint and I think they can work - im glad i got the ideas down because i probably would have probably forgot how to do them.

Yeah I have tons of bits of paper with doodles on for when I finally back to creating in this game.

Yeah i am doing that in one of my unmade levels for lights. emitters emit the key and it falls over the key. Might change to piston though.

Yeah how do you do it? I don't understand yet...

Edit: aha, figured it out myself - if you save the key as an object you can make it emit that by choosing from your objects.

Edit: wow my ideas are more complicated than I thought, you really have to know how to design stuff!

Yeah how do you do it? I don't understand yet...

Edit: aha, figured it out myself - if you save the key as an object you can make it emit that by choosing from your objects.

Edit: wow my ideas are more complicated than I thought, you really have to know how to design stuff!

It can keep getting more complex. Gives you an appreciation of how others have done.

I hope my level is ready soon. Hopefully weekend. :smile:

Game is GOOOOOOOOD. Had loads of fun with this with Tegg/Choze. Want to play more but need sleep. Playing other's levels really gives me some ideas with some of the simplest being heaps of fun to play, especially with a buddy in tow too. Oh and choze, your rollercoaster level looks like its been excellently designed, but didnt get a chance to actually ride the thing.Will try tomorrow/today.

Just add me as Tegg. I'll add you otherwise! :smile: You can search me in LBP too.

Some of the community levels are great! I loved the game, but did anyone feel like there was just a little too much hype over it? I mean it was good. But I didn't think it was nearly as good as it was made out to be...

Maybe it's just me.

I think it was worth the hype based on the innovative aspects alone but the game being as good as it was abit of a surprise. But ofcourse no game can be for everyone. Plenty of people think its 'gay' and tell me to 'sell it'. Reminds me of GC...

Some of the community levels are great! I loved the game, but did anyone feel like there was just a little too much hype over it? I mean it was good. But I didn't think it was nearly as good as it was made out to be...

Maybe it's just me.

I think the game has met the hype to be quite honest. The hype was all about what you can do with the games amazing level editor, and all that is there. I think some people probably thought there would be loads of incredible levels, and it'd be easy to create a masterpiece, and so aren't getting quite what they thought they would get out of it.

Did anyone else find the level editor difficult to use at first? All I'm trying to do is make a spike pit sort of thing between platforms. But it keeps just having them go up and down instead of just staying on the ground. Am I using the wrong thing?

Also is there anyway to make a platform that isn't in some way attached to the ground?

That Guy -

You can either use Dark Matter, which just floats there, or you can make the object using wood or any normal material and bolt/stick it to something else. A good way of doing this is making a thin piece of the material and drawing it from the ground in the plane you want, and then you can just stick the object to it by holding 'x' when placing it.

For the spikes you need to use a piston - for the spike floor you'll need to make a small bit of material to put each lot of spikes on, but you link the spikes and the material with the piston. Then you adjust the pistons maximum and minimum lengths so it move up and down at the right height.

Remember: if you want to replicate that object, go to the goodies bag and select the tool that says grab object (I think), then make a box around that object and press 'x'. This will save it to My Objects in the goodies bag so you don't have to keep making it.

That Guy -

You can either use Dark Matter, which just floats there, or you can make the object using wood or any normal material and bolt/stick it to something else. A good way of doing this is making a thin piece of the material and drawing it from the ground in the plane you want, and then you can just stick the object to it by holding 'x' when placing it.

For the spikes you need to use a piston - for the spike floor you'll need to make a small bit of material to put each lot of spikes on, but you link the spikes and the material with the piston. Then you adjust the pistons maximum and minimum lengths so it move up and down at the right height.

Remember: if you want to replicate that object, go to the goodies bag and select the tool that says grab object (I think), then make a box around that object and press 'x'. This will save it to My Objects in the goodies bag so you don't have to keep making it.

Thanks for the help on this. What if I want some spikes to just be on the floor and not move at all. I literally want to have floor layered with spikes.

My train is ready. Just need the level designed properly. Going to back to a piece of paper lol. Some bits arent working well but i am turning it into more of an adventure stage.

It will pass through tunnels and obstacles but needs more gameplay quite frankly.

I noticed one of the levels has over one million plays. :D

Thanks for the help on this. What if I want some spikes to just be on the floor and not move at all. I literally want to have floor layered with spikes.

I actually don't know how to do that.

You could just keep laying them down individually but that would take ages. If you use the capture object tool that i mentioned earlier you can just keep laying them down which would save time.

An alternative would just be making a thin layer of a material and then adding horrible gas to it...

Browse around and you'll probably find out, maybe someone here could help.

I actually don't know how to do that.

You could just keep laying them down individually but that would take ages. If you use the capture object tool that i mentioned earlier you can just keep laying them down which would save time.

An alternative would just be making a thin layer of a material and then adding horrible gas to it...

Browse around and you'll probably find out, maybe someone here could help.

Cheers, maybe the gas option would be a better and much easier idea, as it is only for in between platforms. I have googled it to see if I could find out how to have a bed of spikes but can't see anything. I'm also thinking of having a wooden backdrop so I can just stick everything to it rather than worrying about having to get stuff up in the air.

Now I've started I suddenly just keep thinking about what I might wanna do with the level. If only I actually had some time to make something decent. :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!