NEurope
Supergrunch

Ninja wii-mote skills required to solve exceedingly irritating problem

Right, so I got an LCD screen free, and thought 'twould be fun to hook my Wii up to it. I bought a Wii-vga cable, which I got today, and it looks like everything should work fine, except for one problem - the screen won't work until I set the Wii up to display HD, and although there is a component TV output as well to allow you to do this, I... don't actually own a TV. (I usually only play games at home, where there are TVs a plenty, rather than at uni where there are none)

So... I somehow need to set my Wii to display HD without actually being able to see anything. The console turns on fine, and I can wave the remote about and feel the vibrations, but I don't have a clue in hell where it's pointing. I can probably get sound working too, though I'm not sure how much that will help.

Any idea of a solution, short of borrowing a TV?

So... I somehow need to set my Wii to display HD...

Yep, on the underside of the Wii is a microscopic switch you can set to 'HD Display'. If you do this, all your games are displayed in glorious High Definition. I've never looked back. ;)

Have you got any other cables you could try? Are you sure you've put the TV on the right channel?

I had a similar problem. Back when I only had a laptop and lame 50Hz-only TV card. I came back home so the Wii was in 60Hz mode.

I checked an online video of the options screen (so I know the order of the buttons) and managed to make my way to the correct option thanks to the rumble.

Yep, on the underside of the Wii is a microscopic switch you can set to 'HD Display'. If you do this, all your games are displayed in glorious High Definition. I've never looked back. ;)

Have you got any other cables you could try? Are you sure you've put the TV on the right channel?

I love how you missed the point entirely. Grunchy here is saying that he needs to change the Wii's output from PAL 50 to 480p, and in the Wii menu this is done by choosing whether your Wii is hooked up to a HD/EDTV or to a normal tv.

I would post a step by step guide, but I'm too lazy, so instead I'll just tell you where all the buttons are, you'll have to feel them out by indication of the vibration I suppose:

1. From the Wii Main Menu, the Wii Options (the little round icon) is on the bottom left of the screen, feel for that and click on it.

2. On the Wii options screen there are three icons, click on the rightmost one. Which will lead you to the Wii system settings menu.

3. The third icon from the top is "Screen", click on this, and keep the Wii pointer dead still, as on the next screen you also want to click on the third icon "TV Type."

4. On the final page the ED/HDTV option is the third, and after that there are two adjacent icons at the very bottom. The left one is "back" and the one on the right is "confirm." You're gonna need to click on "confirm."

Also: Monitors have a native resolution of 720p, and the Wii's maximum is 480p, so I'm not entirely sure it'll work anyway. Hope it helps.

I do that all the time, turn on the Wii and feel for the Disc channel and start it up, while continuing to watch TV until the program is finished. Just search for pictures of the options menu's and feel your way through.

I do that all the time, turn on the Wii and feel for the Disc channel and start it up, while continuing to watch TV until the program is finished. Just search for pictures of the options menu's and feel your way through.

Finding the disc channel is one thing, navigating through about 5 menus is another...

Thanks for the buttons Bard, though I had a rough idea... However, the problem is that it's seriously difficult to work out what's going on. I've manged to get to all sorts of different menus by mistake. I've tried controlling it with a classic controller, but that's harder if anything. I think I'm going to have to ask someone if I can borrow their TV for a few minutes.

As for whether it'll actually work, it should do, given that the cable I bought is specifically designed for connecting a Wii to a PC monitor.

The Wii won't display HD. Even with component cables it'll be 852x480, your monitor will have to stretch it.

I'm well aware it can't actually display HD, I just want it to run on a PC monitor which means turning on the HD setting.

Anyway, problem solved. I should have thought of asking an engineer earlier - he lent me a composite to VGA box so I could set it up right.

Ah right, now I see what you mean. You needed to put the Wii on 480p so it could run on your screen, which doesn't support interlaces.

Ah right, now I see what you mean. You needed to put the Wii on 480p so it could run on your screen, which doesn't support interlaces.

Yeah. So now everything works apart from virtual console.

I love how you missed the point entirely. Grunchy here is saying that he needs to change the Wii's output from PAL 50 to 480p, and in the Wii menu this is done by choosing whether your Wii is hooked up to a HD/EDTV or to a normal tv.

I knew what he wanted to do, but navigating to options you can't see seemed impossible to me, so I was trying to suggest anything obvious he might have overlooked.

I love how my answer (try another cable) was more apt than yours in the end. ;)

Well, sort of... I used the same cable all the way through, I just temporarily used a splitter box thingy.

Now I just need a male to male 3mm jack, and all systems are go.

Yeah. So now everything works apart from virtual console.

Try:

1. Go to the operations guide of a VC game that doesn't work with a Nunchuck attached.

2. Press Z+A+2 together.

Try:

1. Go to the operations guide of a VC game that doesn't work with a Nunchuck attached.

2. Press Z+A+2 together.

It's not about that - there's no support for VC on HDTVs. The monitor just turns off when I load one.

Ugh I just figured I have the exact same problem, now I got my Wii back from my little brother...

It's not about that - there's no support for VC on HDTVs. The monitor just turns off when I load one.

I'm on a HDTV and they work fine. Which games are you trying to play in interlace mode? I recommend you go into the Wii Shopping Channel and then look at your list of downloaded titles, and check if there are any updates available. The updates are generally to add interlace support.

VC games are not supported on monitors, they are supported on HDTVs that support interlaced modes (all of them that is). Monitors don't support interlaced modes as they usually don't have to deal with them.