N-Europe

Internet problem [Buffer Overrun?]!

Retro_Link

Been having serious problems with my internet for the past few weeks;

It's running EXTREMELY slow, it's unresponsive, it's been crashing, often my start menu bar will dissappear and sometimes not come back (meaning i have to restart the comp).

Also when this problem started I was getting loads of popups and those stupid little ad-bug things, etc... though these are occuring less now, I'm still getting them.

I've got McAfee security centre which I've tried running,

Downloaded Ad-Aware 2007, I've just downloaded Spybot S&D which is currently running, and after that I'm going to run CCleaner which I've also just downloaded.

Any other suggestions?

Also I sometimes get a message up after the internet explorer windows crash/dissapear etc... saying 'Buffer Overrun detected' [think it may also have 'C + +' or something after it aswell].

I don't know if that's causing the problem? What the hell is a buffer overrun and is there anything I do about it?

Grateful for any help, downloads, solutions...

Thanks!

I have to suggest downloading Prevx, which will eliminate the possibility of a virus, as, since I got it, my PC and laptop have been entirely issue-free on the malware front.

According to those chappies over at Wikipedia, a buffer overrun is "an anomalous condition where a process attempts to store data beyond the boundaries of a fixed-length buffer. The result is that the extra data overwrites adjacent memory locations. The overwritten data may include other buffers, variables and program flow data and may cause a process to crash or produce incorrect results. They can be triggered by inputs specifically designed to execute malicious code or to make the program operate in an unintended way."

Yeah I got to the end of that and it found 50 files or so, but if I actually wanted to do anything about them [delete them] then I had to enter in/buy a license.

Ah right. Well I've just ran the free version and found nothing. So I can't help you there. Maybe a pm to fish might solve your problem. ;)

Yeah I got to the end of that and it found 50 files or so, but if I actually wanted to do anything about them [delete them] then I had to enter in/buy a license.

I bought a license, but that's because I'm lazy. Find the files it drags up, and delete them manually.

I think they've changed it, but you used to be able to download th full version and you'd get a free month of it automatically deleting stuff. After that either buy or delete manually.

Your RAM is low, it can't buffer the data it gets from the net. Either the chips have died or there's some virus wreaking havoc.

Also, McAfee will bloat your RAM usage to no end, it's really bad.

Cheers DCK,

I'm not really up on all my computer knowledge, how can I check my RAM, can I free my RAM up? how might I go about solving the problem?