N-Europe

GTs Bonus Round End of Year Review

Hero-of-Time

Yeah its always interesting discussing Sony since they havent been doing so well.

I think things will pick up once recognisable games like MGS start to come out but the problem is they need to attract the right crowd. Most of the current exclusives have underperformed despite their superb quality. Maybe because they were new franchises? MS however did a great job with Gears of War and have had bigger successes with exclusives even if they didnt expand their audience and struggle with variety. Sony need to focus and attract the core PS2 owner. MS have failed outside of stuff like Gears, Saints row but they have done great with bringing xbox 1 owners over. Its a shame when great games like Uncharted and Ratchet underperform. But for the first year Ratchet was the biggest disk exclusive PS2 franchise... Tekken 5 DR online the downloadable. So many PS2 exclusives missing.

I kind of agree with the 90% of 360 owners are xbox 1 owners and buying patterns seem to suggest this(live subscription adoption and game sales types). Wii is attracting alot of new users but those seem to buy mini game compilations and simple games above anything else...

Well i am a very very happy PS3 owner. Many fo the new franchises are great. Its good to see risk taking ongames like Warhawk and Uncharted. I love the streamlined interface in comparison to Wii and 360. Its just so quick, simple and effortless. Once you have paid for the console PS3 has the least ongoing costs. More advanced, nicer build quality, it oozes quality. Maybe too much as many are saying.

Nice post Choze!

For me the PS3 needs to break itself away from the 360 and by this I mean it needs exclusive games. At the moment there are many games that are on both platforms but development issues are causing the PS3 versions to slip a month or so to when the 360 versions come out. I think this is hurting them alot more than people let on.

I remember the same guys talking about the PS3 earlier in the year on a Bonus Round and Michael said that Sony needs to get some achievement system in play ASAP and I think hes right. Alot of people love the Achievement system that Microsoft came up with and if a game has something a little extra to unlock then people will no doubt go for that version especially at this stage when most the PS3 and 360 games look pretty much the same. HOME and the Trophy system cant come soon enough for Sony.

Another thing that Sony need to sort out is the online side of things. The PS3 really needs the XBL home button feature where you can access your friednslist from any game and send messages. Its a very important feature in my eyes and one that you really need especially if you have experienced and are used to playing on Live. Also, to this day I dont understand why Sony never released an Official headset for the PS3, always wondered why.

I loved my PS3 when I had it as I enjoyed being able to surf the net in my bedroom and the online atmosphere was alot friendlier than what it is on Live but what made me sell it was the fact there were no games out. I played Resistance to death and I truely love the game but after I was done with that there was nothing else for me to play. Sure Heavenly Sword came as did Ratchet and now Uncharted but I had sold it by then.

If you check the Playstation topic you can see that im going backwards and forwards on whether to get another PS3 for the games that I missed but I figure once I finish them whats next? DMC4 is out on the 360 as is the new Burnout so the next big exlclusive game is probably MGS4 and who knows when that will arrive.

Yeah its always interesting discussing Sony since they havent been doing so well.

I think things will pick up once recognisable games like MGS start to come out but the problem is they need to attract the right crowd. Most of the current exclusives have underperformed despite their superb quality. Maybe because they were new franchises? MS however did a great job with Gears of War and have had bigger successes with exclusives even if they didnt expand their audience and struggle with variety. Sony need to focus and attract the core PS2 owner. MS have failed outside of stuff like Gears, Saints row but they have done great with bringing xbox 1 owners over. Its a shame when great games like Uncharted and Ratchet underperform. But for the first year Ratchet was the biggest disk exclusive PS2 franchise... Tekken 5 DR online the downloadable. So many PS2 exclusives missing.

I kind of agree with the 90% of 360 owners are xbox 1 owners and buying patterns seem to suggest this(live subscription adoption and game sales types). Wii is attracting alot of new users but those seem to buy mini game compilations and simple games above anything else...

Well i am a very very happy PS3 owner. Many fo the new franchises are great. Its good to see risk taking ongames like Warhawk and Uncharted. I love the streamlined interface in comparison to Wii and 360. Its just so quick, simple and effortless. Once you have paid for the console PS3 has the least ongoing costs. More advanced, nicer build quality, it oozes quality. Maybe too much as many are saying.

Hmmm, good post. Firstly I don't think that the reason that the Sony exclusives are underselling is because they are new franchises, especially considering one of those is Rachet and Clank. I think the more probable reason is that they just have not shifted enough units. If they don't have the console they can't buy the game.

I also thin its unfair to label the majority of Wii owners as buying up mini-game compilations when you look at the million sellers.

Also you say that you have risk taking PS3 games like warhawk and uncharted, but how are hey risk taking? They great games but I don't think they're too different from 360 games. I think the problem is maybe Sony are not taking enough of a risk.

Also how do you figure that ongoing costs thing? Surely the Wii is free once you've bought it?

I'm not being a fanboy here, hell, these days i don't really care about what platform a game is on.

I wouldn't buy a PS3, quite frankly i don't have the money to keep up with 3 consoles and a handheld. I wouldn't buy a PS2, because there are too many awesome games i've missed out on and i don't have the time to play them.

I would say, that once the PS3 sorts its self out with some great titles and its a little cheaper, and the online is fixed a little it'll be great.

Oh and MGS4 = Q3/4 2008. I'm going to say that right now, prove me wrong Kojima!

I also thin its unfair to label the majority of Wii owners as buying up mini-game compilations when you look at the million sellers.

I agree. Its just a little annoying when Mario party 8 outsold Galaxy last week. Its clearly not much of a machine for traditional games.

Also you say that you have risk taking PS3 games like warhawk and uncharted, but how are hey risk taking? They great games but I don't think they're too different from 360 games. I think the problem is maybe Sony are not taking enough of a risk.

They are risky since they arent easily marketable games. Uncharted looks quite boring till you actually play it. This is where Sony's marketing is messing up. Nintendo explicitly try to make everything look exciting. Ubisoft presented Assasin's creed so well that people spread the word for them. Tomb Raider has Lara Croft, even if its rubbish next to Uncharted.

Warhawk i think has done better than most thought it would since it had really low expectations. Sony advertised the game after release probably due to word of mouth. Alot of PS3 owners play COD4 and Warhawk online all the time on my firends list. So i'd say Warhawk did good considering the circumstances. It was suppossed to be a release to cut losses type of game. Its problem is that at first it was an online downloadable only game. I dont think retailers like full games on PSN. They arent acknowledged in shops.

Also how do you figure that ongoing costs thing? Surely the Wii is free once you've bought it?

Wii isnt the worst although a single controller and nunchuck costs £50 for 1 set, not counting any thing else. You have to spend extra on batteries. I had to pay for the internet browser. Storage space will need to be brought at some point (sd cards) if Nintendo want downloads to work. Virtual console is very very expensive compared to PS3 for lesser handled games. People tend to gloss over these costs but they add up to alot. For people these should always be considered.

I'm not being a fanboy here, hell, these days i don't really care about what platform a game is on.

I wouldn't buy a PS3, quite frankly i don't have the money to keep up with 3 consoles and a handheld. I wouldn't buy a PS2, because there are too many awesome games i've missed out on and i don't have the time to play them.

I would say, that once the PS3 sorts its self out with some great titles and its a little cheaper, and the online is fixed a little it'll be great.

Oh and MGS4 = Q3/4 2008. I'm going to say that right now, prove me wrong Kojima!

Well the online is fantastic on PS3 especially with games that can use servers. You dont get lag issues like in P2P games that xbox live is stuck with and large scale games like Warhawk and Resistance are possible. Gamesw ise variety is a strong PS3 feature. Ask people about the top games and they wont just be pc types or fps.

They thing is whether sony can get over all the misconceptions. You have too many people pretending to own one judging by sales.

Nice post mate, but i kinda disagree witht the '90% of 360 owners are xbox 1 owners'. In my group of mates, there are about 8 360 owners, and only 1 of them owned the original xbox.

Most of them used to be PS2 owners who loved it to bits and disliked xbox and GC, however they've all gone and got 360's but the ps3 doesn't attract them.

Nice post mate, but i kinda disagree witht the '90% of 360 owners are xbox 1 owners'. In my group of mates, there are about 8 360 owners, and only 1 of them owned the original xbox.

Most of them used to be PS2 owners who loved it to bits and disliked xbox and GC, however they've all gone and got 360's but the ps3 doesn't attract them.

Yeah definately there are people like that no question. 90% is bit of an exaggeration :P i have no stats.