N-Europe

Best way of transferring files?

AshMat

I did that. Plugged in what i think is the secondary HDD (though when i tried to turn the old one on without it in, it wouldn't start up...) and the PC wouldn't start up. Went into the black screen with the "start windows noramlly"

"safe mode" etc options.

Also, when i plugged it all back into the old one, the oldun doesn't startup anymore..

Is there a chance that i tried putting my main HDD in this pc by accident?

If it's an old IDE HDD, have you set the jumpers to make the HDD a slave? Basically it's a bit of plastic you need to put in the right place on the end of the HDD which should be labelled on the drive itself.

If you can't get your old HDD onto your new PC, wire up the PCs to a network/wireless network and transfer? Or use an iPod or something as a HDD?

I did that. Plugged in what i think is the secondary HDD (though when i tried to turn the old one on without it in, it wouldn't start up...) and the PC wouldn't start up. Went into the black screen with the "start windows noramlly"

"safe mode" etc options.

Also, when i plugged it all back into the old one, the oldun doesn't startup anymore..

Is there a chance that i tried putting my main HDD in this pc by accident?

Try this again, but go into your BIOS and make sure the boot order is set to boot from a SATA drive first. Or at least make sure that the IDE drive is after the SATA drive.

If one drive is IDE and the other SATA you shouldn't need to worry too much about Slave or Master. As that only applies to two drives attached to the same IDE cable. Your better off using "Cable Select" which should be automatic if there's only one drive on the IDE cable.

Is the DVD drive in your new PC SATA or IDE?