NEurope
willowtheory

How do you play yours?

As the title suggests i'm wondering how do people play their games? ( no smart comments sayin with a console n controller please :P)

The reason i ask, is that i've been reading over the super mario galaxy thread lately, and i noticed that alot of people really got through the game quickly.

Now i've had the game since launch day, and i think i'm only about 25 stars in to the game, its not because im rubbish or i've not had the time, i just tend to always play in short bursts and enjoy the game fully, i think mario 64 took me about 5 months to get all 120 stars because i played it like this.

So really i'm jus kinda wondering what gamer you are, the kind like me who fully takes everything in and doesn't rush it, or the kind that gets through it as soon as possible

I like to take everything in, I can't stand people rushing games. Then again, that's probably why I hardly ever finish my games.

I like getting through games as fast as possible, getting everything i can *unless its an annoying task*.

Hense i love achievement points! :p

I take my time, I hate rushing things and I complete everything I can if in doing so, I have fun. In my opinion playing a game just to unlock things or see the ending ruins most of the experience and makes for a closeminded opinion about a game.

I like getting through games as fast as possible, getting everything i can *unless its an annoying task*.

Hense i love achievement points! :p

i see achievement points as an extra bonus to games, i never really set out to get them. Probably explains why i only have about 400 lol

I scan every little bit in Metroid Prime 3 and I'm loving it. It's slow but it is good.

I try to complete games as much as possible, like getting 100% and doing most/all sidequests. I do try to pace myself so I don't rush games through.

I'm like you, I love taking my time, that's why I'm with about 14 hours on MP3 and less than 50% pick-ups. I'm at the part where you have to collect 3 bomb components on Elysia. I have a choice to go to Valhlla too, but I haven't gone yet. I've read of people who finished the game in 10 hours.

Now, Super Mario Galaxy.... that's an entirely different kettle of fish. Of course, the pace of a Mario game is not the same as the pace of a Metroid game, but in only 2 sessions of playing Mario Galaxy and 5 hours in total, I already collected 20 stars. I'm a bit amazed at it myself and a bit fearful of rushing the game, but Galaxy is so damned irresistible and addictive!! I just want to see what is coming next, I'm amazed at the level design, the sheer ammount of excelent ideas that went into this game, I spend several minutes just long jumping around small platforms with a massive grin on my face. Best yet was those disc plates on Battlerock Galaxy. You long jump around one and if you're lucky and do it right you can orbit around 2 with the same jump. Amazing! How can you put such a game down??

But still, 20 stars in such a little ammount of time (little ammount by my standards) is a bit scary.

I finished Super Mario 64 in one week and a half. I don't remember anymore if that was 120 stars or just the final boss, but it was certainly less than 2 weeks.

I'm generally a very slow gamer. I take my time doing the tasks in the game (unless there's a timer) and can spend hours just running around doing nothing in particular. I'm not even out to get the game 100% finished; if I can finish it at my own pace and get to the end then I'm happy. Especially if it's a good game. =3

I play them as fast as possible. And then I don't mean rushing trough them, but play every time I can. Which is a lot. I don't have any friends atm(they moved away) and no outdoors hobbies so I have a lot of time to play. I don't like to play a game for two hours then leave it for a day or two. I play as much as I can in one sitting and how slow I play the game(as in how much I want to complete) depends on the game. If there's nothing on tv I can finish an RPG in a week. If the game doesn't interest me however it can take weeks before I complete it. Bought Jeanne d'Arc a few weeks ago and still only done three-four chapter. SMG was completed with 120 stars in three days. I do rush through some games only to see the ending, but only if I didn't like the game and I want to make it worth the money. I used gameshark to finish Xenosaga ep for example. So my points is that I play the games in a normal pace but I play it a lot in a row.

Now, Super Mario Galaxy.... that's an entirely different kettle of fish. Of course, the pace of a Mario game is not the same as the pace of a Metroid game, but in only 2 sessions of playing Mario Galaxy and 5 hours in total, I already collected 20 stars. I'm a bit amazed at it myself and a bit fearful of rushing the game, but Galaxy is so damned irresistible and addictive!!
Yeah, I usually take my time playing games, but that was just impossible with Galaxy. It was too damn good! :smile:

After getting a star I'd find myself jumping right back in to a level and getting the next one, then another, and another... Got the 120th star today, and have already started a new game!

Addictive doesn’t even begin to describe it. :heh:

I found that not scanning everything in Metroid Prime 3 and running to the end as fast as possible, was a different and more fun experience.

If you try to find every possible way out of a room before deciding where to go, it gets kinda slow. And If you take the wrong way, you will always know it very soonly.

I like to take my time and breath it all in.

If I'm playing a game with great environments, often I'll just stand there looking at it. If a game gives me a lot of freedom, I usually spend whole play sessions just bombing around. If I play an impressive or exciting level, I have a tendency to ignore the next level while I reload and play it again. If it has a good story and related in-game notes or a codex, I'll sometimes spend an hour just leafing through them. I can quite happily spend regular sessions creating different combinations on a suitably versatile character creation menu.

The one thing I simply can't be bothered doing is completing it "100%", whether it's completing all the side quests or collecting every single star, or beating absolutely every time and every score or whatever. Then the game just feels like a second job, rather then a piece of entertainment.

These days I tend to burn through a game quickly, cos I spend most of my time avoiding doing productive things and playing games instead. When I was younger though, games lasted much much longer as my mum only let us play on the weekends, so that our schoolwork and stuff wouldn't suffer. I'm kind of glad, cos I feel like the games stretched out forever, though a little sad that now they don't. I haven't learnt anything from it, I think my academia started suffering when I started ignoring my mother, but it's been fun :D

I tend to burn through at the moment, though i do like collecting stuff. Love unlocking achievements.

What i never got was scanning on Metroid, i started, but thought it was a pretty boring side-task.

I love getting achievements on the 360 and for any other game I enjoy trying to unlock everything I can.

I tend to steam through most games and then move onto the next one. So many games and so little time :) It doesnt make the experience any less enjoyable its just how I play.

The exception to this rule is Mario Galaxy as I just keep playing here and there as I dont want to power my way through it. Saying that Im over halfway through now and it doesnt seem that I have been on it long at all ( 8 hours )

I'm generally a very slow gamer. I take my time doing the tasks in the game (unless there's a timer) and can spend hours just running around doing nothing in particular. I'm not even out to get the game 100% finished; if I can finish it at my own pace and get to the end then I'm happy. Especially if it's a good game. =3

I would say this is a good desciption of my gaming too. If its a good environent (GTA, Zelda, Doom 3 etc) i spend half of my sessions not playing towards any recognisable goal - but rather just exploring and trying things out. Many games do grab me - involving long sessions trying to complete goals, but i find it very difficult to stick to a game all the way through. Usually something else has grabbed my attention before the end.