NEurope
chairdriver

Mafia Game #2 - Game Thread

This is wrong, nobody has the power to see if a innocent person is actually evil or vice versa.

Perhaps not, but if you're part of the Mafia, you already know who the evil people are. Thus you could do away with Skunky during the day easily, knowing he was a good guy because he wasn't a part of the Mafia, despite his evil appearance. And people would gladly believe you to be the good cop.

Actually Sanchez didn't say he claimed haggis was innocent, he just said to save the haggis-knot for another night (perhaps to do with Haggis's real-life situation at the moment).

Sanchez has today claimed Haggis is innocent:

Well, I can investigate people. Last night I did haggis, and it told me he was good, I can't say any more than that because I didn't get anything else.

See?

And everyone survived the night because Maas basically nulled it with his time-travelling, coma-inducing powahs!

True, but you are forgetting something. Maase only made us fast forward Night 3. There have been 4 Nights.

You say that sanchez could be an evil cop, using his findings to his advantage - but all he found with skunky was "this guy is an evil-doerrrr!" or whatever. If he was in the mafia, surely he would not have said to vote for the guy? You say that ashmat was killed because of sanchez too - if you think that, then if ashmat is innocent, the spell master is evil. Either way, we don't know whether ashmat was good or bad, but we know that sanchez, if we say innocent 'til proven guilty, as a police officer would not have found skunky to have been anything but evil.

Yes, he found Skunky appeared evil. If Sanchez is part of the Mafia, he will know everyone within the Mafia. As Skunky was good, he wasn't part of the Mafia. He appeared evil despite his goodness, and Sanchez could use this to his advantage to get a good guy lynched while at the same time make himself trustworthy towards the town.

knowing he was a good guy

I wouldn't know he was a good guy, although I couldn't say for sure because I don't know if mafia members know each others roles.

It doesn't really make sense to put a character on the mafia team and then tell the mafia team that they're actually good.

so if sanchez is part of the mafia, why is he given the power merely to see if someone is good or evil? Surely to him everyone who is not in his mafia is worth killing?

Votes (10 is a majority)

Dyson (7) - ReZourceman, darksnowman, MoogleViper, Strider, thunderer, Sanchez, rokhed00

No Lynch (2) - Dyson, Brian Mcoy

Why are people keeping their vote for me even though I've proved my innocence already?

Votes (10 is a majority)

Dyson (7) - ReZourceman, darksnowman, MoogleViper, Strider, thunderer, Sanchez, rokhed00

No Lynch (2) - Dyson, Brian Mcoy

I believe i also voted for no lynch.

Though Sanchez does look rather suspicious...

I wouldn't know he was a good guy, although I couldn't say for sure because I don't know if mafia members know each others roles.

It doesn't really make sense to put a character on the mafia team and then tell the mafia team that they're actually good.

You may not know if he was a good guy per say, but you would know if he was not part of the Mafia. As part of the Mafia, you'd know all those who were evil. Thus everyone else is a target for you. Skunky was not part of the Mafia, so doing away with him would only help the Mafia.

so if sanchez is part of the mafia, why is he given the power merely to see if someone is good or evil? Surely to him everyone who is not in his mafia is worth killing?

How people use their power is up to the people who use it. In Sanchez' case, he used his power to find a good person who appeared evil, and use that to weave his way into the Town's good books by appearing to be a good cop. The fact that Skunky was acting strangely only helped his task become easier.

Now trusted as a good cop, everyone could believe whatever Sanchez said. He could say a towns person was evil, knowing they were not part of the Mafia and only appeared evil, and people's trust in him would increase because the death would say "he would appear evil when investigated". Likewise, he could also claim those in the Mafia to be innocent, and as he was so trustworthy, the townsfolk would believe him, also making more members of the Mafia trustworthy. Those Mafia members could then kill safely, thanks to their fellow Mafia member Sanchez.

Why are people keeping their vote for me even though I've proved my innocence already?

Lots to catch up on since going to watch MotD, I like it. I dunno Dyson, you said you were inactive because you couldn't get online, but you haven't revealed what you're role to the town is if you aren't mafia nor given any good reasons why we should change away from you so suddenly.

Give us the low down on yourself and we'll see if we buy it!

Whoa whoa whoa; what is there that I have done that tells you I have to reveal my job?

I'll reveal mine when you reveal yours.

You may not know if he was a good guy per say, but you would know if he was not part of the Mafia. As part of the Mafia, you'd know all those who were evil. Thus everyone else is a target for you. Skunky was not part of the Mafia, so doing away with him would only help the Mafia.

Yes! But having detecting powers is surely.. obselete here?

How people use their power is up to the people who use it.

What do you mean? Surely the only choice people have is the person whom they use it upon. The actual power itself can't be changed. Everything you say about what his power could or could not be, to me, is just guesswork.

Now trusted as a good cop, everyone could believe whatever Sanchez said. He could say a towns person was evil, knowing they were not part of the Mafia and only appeared evil, and people's trust in him would increase because the death would say "he would appear evil when investigated". Likewise, he could also claim those in the Mafia to be innocent, and as he was so trustworthy, the townsfolk would believe him, also making more members of the Mafia trustworthy. Those Mafia members could then kill safely, thanks to their fellow Mafia member Sanchez.

... Sorry but, that all sounds extreeemely far-fetched. Even if this bad-detectives role was to detect whether a townsperson, whom the mafia know they want to kill, is percieved as good or evil, surely with 20 other people to look through, it's a ridiculously useless role?

I can tell you now, that I know for certain that sanchez is a good guy. For certain. To me, everything you say just makes me question your own position in our town!

Lots to catch up on since going to watch MotD, I like it. I dunno Dyson, you said you were inactive because you couldn't get online, but you haven't revealed what you're role to the town is if you aren't mafia nor given any good reasons why we should change away from you so suddenly.

Give us the low down on yourself and we'll see if we buy it!

Basically, how did you vote without posting?

I couldn't talk on the first day, and had to PM it to chairdriver instead, much like when I was stuck in a hole last game.

Quoted for answerage in case you missed it.

Whoa whoa whoa; what is there that I have done that tells you I have to reveal my job?

I'll reveal mine when you reveal yours.

Hey, if you're a good guy I don't wanna make an enemy outta you. But the thing is, you haven't actually said anything that proves you aren't in the mafia. A few of us said when we voted for you that we would consider changing if and when you made a case for yourself, so nows your chance!

Also, whats up with Brian Mcoy? He's talkin in smilies... and was he defending you?

The whole smilies thing is a bit weird, i'm gonna steer clear of all that if possible.

Also, jaysteven, you seem to be trying extremely hard to defend Sanchez. You also say that Sanchez is good and that you know it for "certain". I don't know about anyone else but i'd like to see some proof. I definetly don't share your certainty, two suspects in my eyes, Sanchez and jaysteven.

A few of us said when we voted for you that we would consider changing if and when you made a case for yourself, so nows your chance!

I shouldn't have to reveal my role to prove my innocence. My way of proving my innocence is by explaining my previous acts as I have done. If I revealed my role who's to say I wouldn't be targetted at night as opposed to at day? Either way, revealing my role makes enemies one way or another and that's what I'm trying to avoid. Would you reveal your role because someone demanded it of you? Because I'm starting to get suspicions.

Also, whats up with Brian Mcoy? He's talkin in smilies... and was he defending you?

Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps its related to the riddle?

I'm more powerful than God.

I'm more evil than the devil.

The poor have me.

The rich need me.

If you eat me, you'll die.

What am I?

:confused:

Ok I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that answering the riddle with the correct answer means you're confined to smilies so...don't do it people.

I do indeed know for certain :) It is to do with my role. If I use my role on good guys, I survive. If I use it on the bad, I die. I used my role on sanchez on the second night, and I'm still here.

Now, the problem with this proof is it's hard to prove that it's proof.

If you think sanchez is bad then go ahead and vote for it.

Ok I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that answering the riddle with the correct answer means you're confined to smilies so...don't do it people.

Darksnowman and Martinist answered the riddle correctly the first time, and they are fine. Maybe one is the potion master and the other is the poisoned?

jayseven, I was tricked before. I had the same power last time round with Cube, and I was told that he was good, when he wasn't.

Just make sure you're not being decieved.

Oh right..I didn't look for the link. Still, I have an experiment to make.

The answer to Mcoy's riddle is nothing.

I do indeed know for certain :) It is to do with my role. If I use my role on good guys, I survive. If I use it on the bad, I die. I used my role on sanchez on the second night, and I'm still here.

So essentially your role is some form of russian roulette

jayseven, I was tricked before. I had the same power last time round with Cube, and I was told that he was good, when he wasn't.

Just make sure you're not being decieved.

Good point. But I don't want to get that paranoid this early in the game :)

There's still more than half the game-players to vote. And darksnowman is correct - I do not mind changing my vote - but in all honesty I want someone to come in and go OMG YOU GUYZ CHECK OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME THIS GUY IS A SUSPECT... At least this way, if things are pushed, we'll get some answers. And that way, a lot more fingers can be pointed and stood on :)

Basically - who do you suggest we lynch instead?

So essentially your role is some form of russian roulette

Definitely.

Well...actually that's a good point. All the suspicions at the moment seem to have some answers and there's nothing concrete.

Also, my theory was way off, I was merely musing about the riddle. Chances are its irrelevant.

The time traveller seems way way too powerful though. Imagine what kind of powers they could have later on in the game, the power to bring people back to life or kill people early or something worse perhaps? Maybe even rewinding time back a day so events didn't actually happen?

Personally I wouldn't like to take the risk of having time messed around with. Even if it's not working at the moment (or so we're told) what's to say it won't start again?

There's also the fact that the guy said he had something on me but never revealed what it was. And trying to persuade others to kill me without reason? Seems a bit..dodgy if you ask me. I don't trust this guy one bit.

Vote: Maase

I think maase is probably just a noob who used his power at the wrong time... in any case his power seemed to be in aid of the village.