NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dynastygal

Holidays (New and Old)

Searched for a thread of this nature but couldn't find one so thought I'd make one. Basically, I'm sure you've all been on holiday at some point in your life (several times no doubt for others), so talk about as many holidays you've recalled going on and anything interesting about them. You can also just list the places you've been. Also, are you planning on going on holiday anytime soon?

Right-o. For me I've been to:

Disneyland Paris when I was a child. I can't recall much of it, but I remember getting sea sick on the ferry to and from France, I also recall buying a golden dolphin necklace on one of the ferry's. Oh, I do remember the corny music they played at the park. "Disney kind of day" or something...I even have the cd somewhere :S

Tunisia, not the best of holidays because my skin is very sensitive to the sun, so as well as heat rash, I'd also broken my wrist before going, so had to wear this weird blue thing to protect my cast in the pool...and I stupidly ran in the indoor swimming pool bit and slipped over...let's just say 2 hours in a Tunisian hospital watching dubbed neighbours isn't my idea of a holiday - it turned out my wrist got even more fractured. We also, coincidentally, met a woman who lives a couple doors down from us, in the same hotel as us. Said hotel we had been moved to because when we got to Tunisia, the original chosen hotel was still being built ¬_¬.

Turkey, better than Tunisia, but my heat rash was worse, although, I did get a nice massage there and one of the men working in the hotel (which we'd been moved to because the hotel we were originally going to stay in - the room was unsafe due to protruding wires and crap) kept fussing over me...^_^. I also discovered hot apple tea in Turkey which was looooovely.

Agia, Greece 1st time - was good, adopted 3 stray kittens for the week who we named Alpha, Beta and Gamma. There was also a stray dog outside our hotel that we fed too.

Agia, Greece 2nd time - not so great, I had conjunctivitis that time and had to wear an eye patch most of the time, as well as recieve regular eye drops from a Greek doctor down the road from our hotel. No adopted animals this time.

Agia, Greece 3rd and final time - was good for some of it although some family problems occured, plus we were allowing this stray cat and kitten (which suckled on my arm - so sweet - we wanted to try get her taken back to Britain since she clearly had no mother and needed care) to come in our self catering flat. Big mistake that was. The people who ran the place found out and the main male owner had a massive go at my dad in greek...needless to say it ended up in assault, and he had his hands round my dads neck. A bad ending to a holiday, but there was worse to come. When I came back, I found out my beloved companion dog of over 10 yrs had been euthanised because he had a heart attack during the week and was pretty much unable to do anything afterwards. So of course it's a holiday I want to forget.

Aviemore, Scotland 1st time - Brilliant holiday, self catering minature house. Saw the only reindeer herd in Britain, and overall had a good time - went canoing, up Cairngorms, mini karting, etc. Needless to say is why we went again.

Aviemore, Scotland 2nd time - another brilliant holiday, partly due to the fact that my b/f was with me this time. So spending a week with him on holiday = :heart:. Saw the reindeer herd again and cairngorms, but this time in knee deep snow which was fun. Also discovered the Mountain Cafe in Aviemore did vegan dishes and did the best vegan breakfasts I'd ever had. Went swimming in Inverness swimming centre, as well as ice skating. Also went to the cinema. Fun all around and probably best holiday out of all the one's I've been on.

That's about all I can remember, I can't see me going on holiday anytime soon though. More priorities now, as well as responsibilities, so don't really get the chance to either.

Also, whilst we're on the subject of holidays, where would you love to go but probably won't due to either money or lack of chance to go?

I want to go to Japan and maybe Hawaii.

I went on a working Holiday visa to Perth, Australia last year. For the whole year. Going back next week for a month!

Nice. Is it really hot out there as in unbearable, or bearable?

My mum wanted to immigrate there once. Now she's looking at New Zealand.

I have never been on holiday. Got offered to spend 3 week's in France with a friend and his parents, but I didn't go as they hardly leave their apartment when they are there and just stay in watching foreign TV, so I thought that was rather pointless.

Wouldnt mind going to London for a week or two sometime.

Nice. Is it really hot out there as in unbearable, or bearable?

My mum wanted to immigrate there once. Now she's looking at New Zealand.

Well I like the heat. Can get above 40 degrees in summer. Should be getting towards 30 when i go over.

As an animal lover, what are you doing taking holidays out of the country?

Seriously, any animal lover who doesn't have an animal to consider themselves really is living in a different world.

Anyway, go north coast of Cornwall, best place in the world.

Padstow - Cornwall (Many, many times) - Always a good holiday and always hot. Usually a mix of surfing and messing randomly in the sea, walking the headlands aswell as at night, going for a meal. Always good fun. (We go camping)

Grev De something -Jersey - Pretty crappy weather when we went here, very boring sea (It's flat) The only good bit i liked was the ferry ride across, also the canoing.

Isle of Wight - Pretty good here, this holiday mainly involved walking and the odd dip in the seas (Was out of season)

Tresco - Isles of Scilly - Absolutly great place, you wouldn't think you were so close to England. Tropical gardens, white sandy beaches, hardly any people. All you can here is the odd boat and tractors in the field and best bit of all NO CHAVS!

Rome / Naples - Italy - Not really my cup of tea, old cities don't interest me. I like big waves and dramatic scenery, not learning about how a building got to look so knackered (Yes i know how ignorant that sounds) The hotel was crap and really wasn't what i expected of a city with such a good rep.

I would really like to visit New Zealand

Padstow - Cornwall (Many, many times) - Always a good holiday and always hot. Usually a mix of surfing and messing randomly in the sea, walking the headlands aswell as at night, going for a meal. Always good fun. (We go camping)

Grev De something -Jersey - Pretty crappy weather when we went here, very boring sea (It's flat) The only good bit i liked was the ferry ride across, also the canoing.

Isle of Wight - Pretty good here, this holiday mainly involved walking and the odd dip in the seas (Was out of season)

Tresco - Isles of Scilley - Absolutly great place, you wouldn't think you were so close to England. Tropical gardens, white sandy beaches, hardly any people. All you can here is the odd boat and tractors in the field and best bit of all NO CHAVS!

Rome / Naples - Italy - Not really my cup of tea, old cities don't interest me. I like big waves and dramatic scenery, not learning about how a building got to look so knackered (Yes i know how ignorant that sounds) The hotel was crap and really wasn't what i expected of a city with such a good rep.

Good man, 3 out of 4 is good scoring.

As an animal lover, what are you doing taking holidays out of the country?

Seriously, any animal lover who doesn't have an animal to consider themselves really is living in a different world.

Huh?

The holidays I mentioned were throughout my lifetime, and as I have separated parents I went on holiday with one or the other. Any time I've been on holiday whilst an animal has been there needing to look after, a perfectly capable family member looked after them. Since the cats came into my life (at my dads - there was no other animals before the cats so holidays were fine) I've only been on holiday once (the second Scotland visit), and that was when the cats weren't fully integrated into the family yet (basically, cats came to us - were strays gradually coming in more often, not us to them) but the next door neighbour would feed them and such.

Anyways, as I say, I'm unlikely to go on holiday again due to responsibilities, and one of those is the four fully fledged family members - cats. I couldn't bare to leave them for a week unless they had someone there to look after them (i.e. dad).

@ Strider...ah, forgot about Isle of Wight. Went there too when I was younger, with my grandparents.

I'm going on a school trip to nIceland in 5 days!

It's gonna be interesting, to say the least! :yay:

Erm, I only started going abroad last year, I used to go to the lake district and cornwall all the time though.

Czech Republic

It was an activity holiday with a explorer group. I loved it! Did some white water rafting, canoeing, horse riding, climing and went around prague for a couple of days. Stayed there for 10 days, though the 32 hour coach trip sucked!

Paris

Another great holiday, though it was only for a few days (3 full days) it was still awesome. Lots of random fun stuff and going round all the landmarks and cheap shops on the outskirts was fun.

Huh?

The holidays I mentioned were throughout my lifetime, and as I have separated parents I went on holiday with one or the other. Any time I've been on holiday whilst an animal has been there needing to look after, a perfectly capable family member looked after them. Since the cats came into my life (at my dads - there was no other animals before the cats so holidays were fine) I've only been on holiday once (the second Scotland visit), and that was when the cats weren't fully integrated into the family yet (basically, cats came to us - were strays gradually coming in more often, not us to them) but the next door neighbour would feed them and such.

Anyways, as I say, I'm unlikely to go on holiday again due to responsibilities, and one of those is the four fully fledged family members - cats. I couldn't bare to leave them for a week unless they had someone there to look after them (i.e. dad).

@ Strider...ah, forgot about Isle of Wight. Went there too when I was younger, with my grandparents.

That's OK, cats don't count.

Well:

Canada: Toronto to be exact.

France: Nancy,Toulouse

UK: Leeds (x3), Pembroke, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow

Andorra: Pas de la Casa

Spain: Formigal, Malaga/Torremolinos

USA: New York

All were awesome, except for Dundee - which didn't appeal to me for some reason ::shrug:

And soon to be joined by New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Japan and probably numerous other places.

I'm going on a school trip to nIceland in 5 days!

It's gonna be interesting, to say the least! :yay:

Cool, where abouts in Iceland you staying? My dads been there so I know a little bit about it...apparently the hot springs are FTW.

Dare I ask why @ rok?

lol. too true. cats are evil.

I love cats! I had 2 all my life (well, intill they died a couple of years back). People say cats are horrible, but they've obviously just been in contact with a **** of a cat.

Anyways...awesome holidays people!

I love my companion cats...: \

They're as sweet as anything.

New Zealand (Auckland)

Went to this amazing city when I was about 4, which was a shame as I have little memories, but do have quite a bit on tape. Amazing country and will definetely return there in the near future.

France - Disneyland Paris

Went there with lots of family and cousins at a young age. Some good by hazy memories. Stayed at David Crocketts Ranch (sp?) which was excellent, little cabin surrounded by woods, but lots of amenities on site too.

France (Availlez-Limousine - Poitiers)

Been there several times now, staying in a typical French townhouse in a picturesque French town. Lazy days kayaking in the nearby river and touring the nearby French villages. Stunning countryside for miles on end.

Spain (Javea - Alicante)

Nice coastal town near Alicante. Beautiful seafront and promenade area full of shops, restaurants and bars; very atmospheric at night.

USA (Denver - Colorado)

The best holiday i've been to over the age of 5... whole of Denver is stunning. Even the drive from the airport to the Racquet Club was amazing, going through twisting roads, mountains of snow either side and pine forests.

Learn to ski when I was there, and its easily one of the greatest and fun sports there is. Food was inexpensive and nice too. Stayed at a nice country club in a nice two storey lodge kind of place. One of the other highlights was swimming in a heated pool with snowy mountains either side of you.

USA (Orlando - Florida)

Two week trip to Orlando, only visited the Disneyland parks which is a shame as would have liked to explore other areas, but it was fun none the less. Food was your average greasy american fare but did dine in a nice steakhouse one night.

Spain - Several times, including the archipelagos.

Britain - London during Christmas, it was AWESOME, so many toys.

France - 2 times, Paris, Disneyland and Ranee.

Finland - Helsinki and Rovaniemi (Lapland).

Dominican Republic - Punta Cana

Cuba - Varadero and Havana.

Mexico - Yucatán.

USA - New York, and Orlando (mainly for the theme parks).

Brazil - Pipa (in the Northeast).

I would really like to visit New Zealand

New Zealand is amazing. I went for a month back in 2001. It was godly.

Barbecue on the beach on Christmas Day FTW.

Also, SHEEP

Well I've been around Britain thousands of times, so I'll just mention the foreign visits.

Menorca x 2

Rhodes

Menorca was my first ever time abroad, don't really remember any of my visits here or in Rhodes.

Orlando x 3

Orlando is an amazing place. The theme parks are the bomb, and there's so much to do there. The last time I went was when I was eleven, and after that it became too expensive and alas I haven't been since.

Majorca x 2

I remember it being busy, hot and taccy. After my last holiday here, we only went to the canaries for our summer holidays.

Lanzarote x 3

This is a great place. Not too hot, but never rains, and is really quiet compared to Majorca. Not quite as much to do, but the nightlife's good without being too lively and there's the awesome national park. Beaches aren't crowded, and each time we got a pool to ourselves! Probably our family's favourite destination.

Gran Canaria

Busier than Lanzarote, and our hotel was far away from the beach. We didn't end up returning here.

Fuerteventura

Lovely beaches and restaurants, just as great as Lanzarote. Unfortunately, we had our phones and Game Boy games stolen, but it didn't spoil the holiday.

Andorra x 2

This is a great, cheap skiing resort, ideal for learning. The biggest con was the four hour coach trip from Toulouse, and if you get travel sick easy then it's definately not an enjoyable ride.

Bulgaria (Boravets)

Again cheap, but still offers great skiing. Everyone smokes. We found that it wasn't the best for advanced skiers so we haven't gone back there.

Maine

This is where we went with school. Despite the resort being fantastic as you would expect from a US resort, we were limited to four hours a day and we had to ski with instructors (because we were with school).

Austria (Kitzbuhl)

By far the best skiing I have ever done. The Germans are great friendly people, the beer was cheap (something like 2 euros for a half litre) and the size of the resort was massive. We're going again this February.

Geneva

This was a day trip with my Physics class to CERN. All in all a fantastic, if nerdy, experience. Later we explored Geneva itself, which is a great city.

In the future, I really want to visit Las Vegas/California, Japan and Australia (mainly to see the Ashes).

Ha, my dads' been to lanzarote lots too. He's there at the moment actually...I don't see the attraction myself.

Spain (does it even count? It's right here, almost next door)

UK (only England and Scotland - an aunt lives near London, we visit her almost every summer; my second-year uni english teacher, being Scottish, urged us to make a trip to his country, so I joined with a few friends and randomly wandered Scotland)

Egypt (Cairo; Alexandria; Luxor; Assuan; some primitive imperfect pyramids in some place called Sakkara, or something like that...; the Mount Sinai - when going with overly religious people that insisted we went there; a cruise along the Nile)

Israel (I have WAY TOO catholic parents that took me there when I was 13)

Greece (mostly Athens, though we sailed a few islands)

Azores & Madeira (a cousin lives in Madeira; visited the Azores when I was really small, I don't remember much of it)

Turkey (once again, doing religious travels with my parents, we failed to see most of the touristic spots, while travelling to those more religion-related)

Germany (Berlin, visiting an ex-girlfriend... LOL)

Italy (well... as in Germany, visiting a napolitan ex-girlfriend I met through Erasmus student exchanges (>*o*( O.o) )

Sign in to follow this