NEurope
nicolasmasset

Anyone tried Resi 4 Professional mode yet?

I wanted to start Resi4 again, but this time on professional mode, but it took me a good half hour alone to get past the freekin' intro section of the game in the village! It was THAT hard!!!

Has anybody played through professional mode yet, and if so, does it stay this hard? Cause if it does, I may opt to degrade myself and go through it again on normal mode with all my ammo and such, cause professional seems pretty frustrating "you died -> continue"-ish.

yeah, its a son of a bitch. But if you've done the ada mission and the mercenaries mode you should be able to buy some good weapons to see you through.

yeah, its a son of a bitch. But if you've done the ada mission and the mercenaries mode you should be able to buy some good weapons to see you through.
I heard that you could only buy the extra weapons; Infinate Rocket Launcher, Chicago Typewriter and Handgun on second playthrough files! Is this true?

If so, then you would have could complete Professional once without them!

(I'm on a second playthrough so the weapons are availiable to me, but if you start a brand new game can you buy them?)

you get the handcannon weapon which you buy for free from the mercant if you get a 5 star rating on all 4 stages with all characters in the mercenies

I heard that you could only buy the extra weapons; Infinate Rocket Launcher, Chicago Typewriter and Handgun on second playthrough files! Is this true?

If so, then you would have could complete Professional once without them!

(I'm on a second playthrough so the weapons are availiable to me, but if you start a brand new game can you buy them?)

for chicago typewriter you have to finish assignment ada, anyway... for those "infinite" crap you also have to finish RE4 in pro once. It's a crappy way to go through RE4 with those "all-mighty" weapons, just go through the pro mode like I did, that is, with only the standard weapons, no chicago typewriter no nothing, I didn't even use the rocket launcher and broken butterfly/killer 7... that was hard, but it was a fulfilling experience nonetheless, thus, using those weapons is like cheating, because pro mode wasn't designed for "infinite" stuff. (not that I had problems with bullets in hard mode, I was actually trowing a lot of them away to store more herbs.

Think I'll stick with pro mode then, cause I hate it that when you start a second playthrough you get all your guns 'n ammo right from the start. No fancy weapons for me either.

What professional mode does seem to offer is a greater sense of "survival" horror, as in: conserve ammo, only pick off the ones that are right up in your face, and keep running and dodging cause they're obviously too quick and too many! Seems there ain't no time to relax anymore.

The only real drawback is that I'm guessing it'll take twice as long to finish, with all the continues I'm gonna have to use in tough areas.

yes i have doing pro for a month and i have just got past 1-1 and i am still trying to survive the beggining of 1-2 i just keep on dieing all the time.

I found Professional too easy to be honest -- I would have prefered it if Capcom gave us less ammo, less health sprays/herbs, more enemies and they kill you in 1-2 hits, I couldn't find much difference between Proffesional and normal.

The only bit that gave me trouble was the grand hall in the castle; the one with the fountains and enimies and snipers EVERYWHERE -- died a few times there, still dissapointed Capcom didn't make it even harder for the hardcore.

You sure you took professional? Cause they DO suck Leon's healthbar empty in two blows you know.

I didn't get hit in the village and I upgraded my health quite high before it got a bit challenging, I got killed in about 3-4 hits.

Yeah I found the village pretty damn hard but as I moved through the game I got used to it and I think it was good practice for conserving ammo and going straight for the head. I think I played through Resi 4 about 6 times on various settings :D but I've not been back to it a while. The fact that I'm thinking about playing it again now proves how damn good it is.

Edit: btw Cheapshot, in the fountain room... there's not snipers everywhere o_O just a couple on the balconies at the start. And enemies do kill you in 2 hits. Are you certain you were on professional (and you're not lying)?

Yeah I found the village pretty damn hard but as I moved through the game I got used to it and I think it was good practice for conserving ammo and going straight for the head. I think I played through Resi 4 about 6 times on various settings :D but I've not been back to it a while. The fact that I'm thinking about playing it again now proves how damn good it is.

Edit: btw Cheapshot, in the fountain room... there's not snipers everywhere o_O just a couple on the balconies at the start. And enemies do kill you in 2 hits. Are you certain you were on professional (and you're not lying)?

Of course I'm not lying - read my above post. The villigers are pretty easy to dodge and if the chainsaw guy comes along I just blow him away with my shotgun.

And I was trying to say that there were enemies everywhere as a whole, I said it incorrectly (and you're nitpicking just a little) I guess plus I ran out of sniper rounds so it was quite difficult taking care of them.

Of course I'm not lying - read my above post. The villigers are pretty easy to dodge and if the chainsaw guy comes along I just blow him away with my shotgun.

And I was trying to say that there were enemies everywhere as a whole, I said it incorrectly (and you're nitpicking just a little) I guess plus I ran out of sniper rounds so it was quite difficult taking care of them.

I'm probably only nitpicking because a. you sound too good at the game (and showing off just a little) and b. where I live it's 5am and I haven't slept yet. So for both our sakes lets just ignore me k.

I'm probably only nitpicking because a. you sound too good at the game (and showing off just a little) and b. where I live it's 5am and I haven't slept yet. So for both our sakes lets just ignore me k.

If you think I'm showing off I'll say no more, I don't like people like that to be honest and get some sleep man!

Cheapshot, what are your tactics then? Do you keep avoiding the enemies or do you kill a few and keep running around till the cutscene comes or what? I can't imagine having enough bullets to kill all of them.

And shorty, you said it's good so you learn to go for headshots. But I thought it didn't really matter that much where you hit em in this resi. I found the following handy when you have time: shot in the knee -> roundhouse kick -> 3 moren knive slices.

A good tactic i've found for the village i to take cover in the small house on the far right that has a bed in the back room. Villagers can only get you from one way in that house; The front door. Just wait until they are about to come in through the door and kick it open in there face so they fall back; then the door nearly always has time to close again and just keep repeating. You can use the bedroom door if they get through the front door!

Or just go into the bedroom and blast them in the doorway!

But I thought it didn't really matter that much where you hit em in this resi. I found the following handy when you have time: shot in the knee -> roundhouse kick -> 3 moren knive slices.
Of course it matters where you hit them! Early on in the game headshots have a chance of killing an enemy in one shot (and later on in the game; depending on the power of your weapon). An arm shot for example would do practically nothing (unless they're about to throw dynamite!).

But your right about that tactic you use. I use the same, especially in the Castle and onwards (where the enimies are stronger) because shooting a Zealot/Soldier in the knee is your best chance to kill them (maybe just using one shot), because you just run in and suplex them!

I usually just go to the building on the left where you get the cutscene - grab the shotgun and take half of 'em out, then the cutscene plays.

There's too many of them to use the roundhouse kick stab them while they're down tactic I think.

Retro Link's right; headshots' are a must if you want to survive, it's pretty annoying when the plagas pops out of their heads though.

I usually just go to the building on the left where you get the cutscene - grab the shotgun and take half of 'em out, then the cutscene plays.
Yeah but if you are trying to save ammo!

Ammo isn't THAT scarce and I don't take all of them out, a nicely timed shotgun blast can take 4 out at a time but the pistol is enough for the villigers - there's handgun rounds everywhere and the villigers drop them sometimes so it's no big deal.

Ammo isn't THAT scarce and I don't take all of them out, a nicely timed shotgun blast can take 4 out at a time but the pistol is enough for the villigers - there's handgun rounds everywhere and the villigers drop them sometimes so it's no big deal.
Yeah you are right; if you get them in a group and then just aim the shotgun upwards at their heads it's also extremely useful.

I like to try and conserve ammo in the first 2 chapters though, because they are much easier than the rest, and there are scenes later on (such as the house under seige, the grand hall, the wrecking ball room etc...) where it's nice to feel you have some ammo!

You just got to love the shotgun:) without the shotgun in resident evil 4 it probrably would've taken me longer to pass the game.

I've completed Professional, it's really not THAT hard, nothing compared to trying to unlock the handcannon anyway in my opinion.

Yeah Ithought it was quite eay on professional mode.However there wa hard point in the castle were you have to get Ashley to turn the things to open the pathway to over the water that bit was hard the rest pretty easy

I'm in the castle sewers now, but already got 14 hours on the clock due to several areas where I had to keep on retrying to get through them by using only maximum 1 herb mix. So I guess it is doable, but it just takes longer cause of the times I have to retry certain areas. It is more rewarding though when you finally get through an area.