N-Europe

Football Manager 2008

flameboy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm second after about 9 games with Stevenage.

Though I'm finding all these team talks and indepth analysis a bit too much. Some games I don't bother issuing any orders, seems a bit like they've gone in too deep.

you can set it so your assistant does the teamtalks and you still take the praise for rousing half time team talks...

caved in and bought this today as they've released a patch to fix the closing down bug. Started as Man City, not playing a straight 4-4-2 either because Elano is a hero. A 4-4-2 Diamond at home and a sort of 4-2-3-1 away from home with 2 DM's behind Elano. Currently 3-0 up in my first friendly away to Tranmere.

oooh best download the patch then. I've picked it up now as well...started as Harrogate Town in Conference North, currently 3rd in the league after 5 games 3 wins and 2 draws going ok so far...

yeah straight 4-4-2 doesn't work, I've got the diamond going on as well...DM seems to pick up so much of the ball and AMC fits in the hole nicely...

Got Leeds United (had a choice between them or Bradford) as my feeder club and thank god, my 3 best players are Leeds loanees.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently having a pretty enjoyable game as Shakhtar Donetsk, got 40 million to spend but nobody wants to join. Also the max 7 foreigners in the starting 11 rule in the Ukrainian league is annoying. Walking the league anyway yet to lose and im 20 games in. Europe is the challenge though got Man Utd, Roma and Olympiakos in the group. Won my first 2 games against Olympiakos and Roma pretty comfortable. Narrowly lost 2-1 at home to United then got twated at Old TRafford and was lucky to only lose 2-0. Managed to balls up against Olympiakos at home conceeding 2 soft goals so it finished 2-2. Roma beat United this mean I had to beat them away from home to qualify.

w00tagewl0.jpg

4-2 win no problem :awesome:

In other news my 2 center backs have got 10 and 8 goals already :D One of them randomly takes loads of freekicks and spanks a fair few in Kolo Toureesque :awesome:

In other news my 2 center backs have got 10 and 8 goals already :D One of them randomly takes loads of freekicks and spanks a fair few in Kolo Toureesque :awesome:

I wish Kolo would smack a 8 or 10 goals in a season! ;)

I can't seem to get into FM. But then again for me it comes into its own light around Christmas when I have family over and I have loads of free time.

Currently having a pretty enjoyable game as Shakhtar Donetsk, got 40 million to spend but nobody wants to join. Also the max 7 foreigners in the starting 11 rule in the Ukrainian league is annoying. Walking the league anyway yet to lose and im 20 games in. Europe is the challenge though got Man Utd, Roma and Olympiakos in the group. Won my first 2 games against Olympiakos and Roma pretty comfortable. Narrowly lost 2-1 at home to United then got twated at Old TRafford and was lucky to only lose 2-0. Managed to balls up against Olympiakos at home conceeding 2 soft goals so it finished 2-2. Roma beat United this mean I had to beat them away from home to qualify.

w00tagewl0.jpg

4-2 win no problem :awesome:

Thats awesome! Good luck with that. Those more obscure games are the sort I play later in the life span of the game.

I dumped my harrogate town game in favour of a pompey game. Currently in January 7th in the league. Just need to find a superb striker, bought Alexander Frei who was pretty good in the old games but he hasn't been great. Benjani has scored 5 so far which isn't great. My leading scorer is Kranjcar with 10. It seems to be much harder teams adapt to simple formations easily, my formation is a very odd 4-3-3, I'll take a screenshot at some point, perhaps even post in on here.

Urgh first loss of the season, so gutting. Especialy due to the players that scored. :weep:

guttingvt5.jpg

still awesome to be where you. I've got 4 games left in my pompey game am 7th 4 points off 5th and 8 points off 4th, had an awful run Feb and March but now have pulled it back with 6 wins on the bounce. Got spurs (who are fighting for relegation), chelsea, man city and birmingham to play.

• 1 month later...

Just started playing FM08 again since I got the new laptop, as usual ive started with Liverpool but im doing a hell of a lot better than I was before.

I think my problem was that I was going for the more complicated formations which worked on FM07 like 4-1-3-1-1 or 4-3-1-2 when the normal 4-4-2 is now working so well for me. Bit of a shame that though really, I enjoyed tweaking the formations in FM07 but whenever I do it in 08 I just start losing.

I have a game going as A.C Milan, quite enjoying the challenge of taking over an ageing squad and remaining succesful while the older players get faded out. First season I signed Martins who struck up quite a partnership with Inzaghi. In January Don Silvio randomly gave me 30 million so I spunked it on Karim Benzema and Francesco Ochoa. Won Serie A but didnt really do anything in the cups.

2nd season Don Silvio outdid himself. After getting rid of Favalli, Serginho, Ronaldo, Cafu and Emersen I went on a bit of a spree.

milantransfersax3.jpg

Only signed Mascherano as he was free. And Daniel Alves because I had the money and Inter wanted him. I dont think ive ever spent this much money before. Certainly not spent more then 20 million on a player in ages.

Current first team:

tacticsmilanby8.jpg

milantransfersax3.jpg

Only signed Mascherano as he was free. And Daniel Alves because I had the money and Inter wanted him. I dont think ive ever spent this much money before. Certainly not spent more then 20 million on a player in ages.

I got Daniel Alves for Arsenal for £27m too!

In my first season as Arsenal I signed Owen for £10m and Riquelme for £15m who turned out to be absoultely amazing, got rid of Adebayor as I don't really like him. Won the Champions League and came 2nd in the Premiership. Then bought Anelka for £23m who struck up a great partnership with Owen getting loads of goals each. Also bought Joaquin for £41m, Kaka for £60m (he's seriously amazing), Abidal for about £12m, Mancini for £27m. Sold Fabregas for £45m as he wanted out in the middle of season 2.

Middle of the 3rd season I wanted more money from the board so I could buy Cristiano Ronaldo, issued an ultimatum and they chucked me out. Got offered a job from Man City. Took them from 14th to finishing 9th in 3 months. Semi final of the FA Cup. Just started my 1st full season with them and doing relatively well.

A few players worth buying when they're young are:

Henry Saivet (can't remember who he plays for, but after a few seasons with a bit of first team football he gets to be really good)

Carlos Vela, plays for Arsenal. Towards the end of my 2nd season he was sensational and I got an offer for £20m for him

Well I'm half way through my second season as Pompey. I am currently 2nd in the league and its a bit of a two horse race between me and Arsenal, I went on an incredible 16 match unbeaten run which of course was never going to last...Got a relatively small squad and coupled with Uefa Cup (finished 9th, got into europe through Intertoto), my players are all getting knackered.

Best signings so far, toss up between Ashton (scoring for fun) and Barborasa (sp?) argentinian keeper, James was doing awful so just had to replace him. Also surprise signing Anthony Gardener (I know) my expensive replacement for Campbell got injured on deadline day so made an emergency signing he is currently averaging 7.45.

Anyone got any suggestions for a cheap central midfielder thats actually worth buying? All my team has at the moment are attacking and defensive midfielders so id like to bring in someone actually for the middle.

You could try Diaby or Diarra? Rosicky is also amazing in the centre of midfield, not that cheap though. I've been looking for a cheap central midfielder for Man City, but 4 seasons in the players have obviously changed a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump: Just about to start my 3rd season at Milan. Won the league at a canter last year losing one match (away to Udinese). I also beat Liverpool in the champions league final :awesome: . Lost the Italian cup final though as my keeper was playing for Mexico so I had to play a 35 year old Dida. Ibrahimovic duely had a field day.

Preseason Don Silvio again gave me 70 million I also sold Pirlo for 15 million to Man Utd as he played 6 games last season and was unhappy. 15 million for a 30 year old with one year left on his contract was pretty good.

Signed Eto'o for 30 million and he has 4 assists and 2 goals in 2 games. Clichy for 27.5 million as a long term replacement for Khaladze and Pique for 11 million. Maldini retired in the summer aged 40 :( He's now a defensive coach for me. Also got offered the Greece job with just 4 games till the world cup and being placed joint 2nd I decided to take it.

Really have a nice looking side now the ammount of pace ive injected into the milan side since taking over is uber.

Current starting 11:

tacticsmilanhi3.jpg