NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Nintendo Becomes Japan's 2nd Most Valuable Company

Nintendo Co Ltd roared past Canon Inc to become Japan's second most valuable company behind Toyota Motor Corp, driven by its hot-selling Wii game console and DS handheld player.

Nintendo's Wii has so far outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 by a large margin since their launches late last year as Nintendo's strategy to expand the gaming population by offering easy-to-play but innovative games has proved a big success. Shares in Nintendo were up 2.6 percent at 58,900 yen in afternoon trade on Tuesday, bringing its market value to 8.34 trillion yen ($72.6 billion), surpassing Canon's market capitalisation of 8.20 trillion yen.

It, however, is still just one-third of Toyota's 24 trillion yen. Toyota is the world's most profitable and valuable automaker.

Nintendo shares have more than quadrupled over the past two years, initially boosted by strong demand for the DS, then by brisk sales of the Wii.

Considering Nintendo have just one product range thats pretty nuts. The likes of Sony have areas in Music, Film, TV/Sound, and Games.

Ketchup or Brown?

I usually go for the red stuff, thanks.

Looks like Nintendo are on target to take over the world...!

Kinda off topic but I met the owner of Toyota in a castle in Scotland when I lived there lol. He was on holiday!! (Scotland, mad) The amount of body guards was astounding. We weren't allowed in certain areas whilst he looked at them. I wonder if Iwata would get the same kind of protection lol.

Come on 'Tendo!!

That is crazy, but also very well deserved. They are very dilligent workers and have some of the biggest brains in the industry. Hopefully they will continue doing the right thing.

Considering Nintendo have just one product range thats pretty nuts. The likes of Sony have areas in Music, Film, TV/Sound, and Games.

That is very impressive and a huge blow for SONY, considering they have just gone from having the best selling console to languishing in third place.

SONY have actually been struggling in recent time with a lot of their home audio and visual equipment due to the incresing quality of cheaper products. The PS2 was one of the few things that kept the company's stock so buoyant.

That is very impressive and a huge blow for SONY, considering they have just gone from having the best selling console to languishing in third place.

SONY have actually been struggling in recent time with a lot of their home audio and visual equipment due to the incresing quality of cheaper products. The PS2 was one of the few things that kept the company's stock so buoyant.

They were too cocky.. It's the downfall of almost every videogame company.. Ninetdno were cocky during the n64 era i would think.

Everyone saw this coming why didn't sony?

Sign in to follow this