N-Europe

Paint a song

Eenuh

Alright, so for my Composition class, I'm supposed to do a painting. A painting based on a song. I'm not sure about the specifics yet, since the blackboard thingie isn't working and I thus can't check the actual task.

Basically though, we'll have to pick out a song and then make a composition on paper that shows all the different parts of the song. So how longer the song, the more complex your composition and painting will become. I'm not sure yet if it has to be pretty abstract or if it can have figures in it, but that's not important right now.

What I want is some suggestions from you guys as to what kind of song I could use. I'm preferably looking for mostly instrumental tracks that aren't too long (like, 3-6 minutes seems best). Some singing in it is allowed, but the more happens in the song (singing, tons of different instruments...), the more difficult it will be to paint. So simple songs that still have a lot of different things going on in them seem best.

If you have any suggestions, be sure to let me know! =D

Sounds like an awesome project!

But surely a song with vocals thoughout, i.e a normal song would be easier to paint?

Well we don't have to paint the words, we have to pay attention to stuff like the bass, the low and the high notes, if the song is fast or slow, the amount of instruments and what they play...

If you add in vocals, they can take away from the music itself (unless it's something like an opera), or they can make it too complex, cause then you have to pay attention to the vocals and all the instruments.

We had some samples to listen to in class (and follow the music and constantly draw what we heard on paper with charcoal; we all ended up with a bunch of lines that go up and down and all that stuff), and the more modern kind of songs with a beat and vocals are a lot more difficult to follow (I think we had a Pixies song?). So instrumental would be best, unless there's a tiny bit of vocals in (I'm thinking of some Zero7 songs I have).

Still, any suggestions right now would be nice, I'll try to check all of them out. =3

Well we don't have to paint the words, we have to pay attention to stuff like the bass, the low and the high notes, if the song is fast or slow, the amount of instruments and what they play...

If you add in vocals, they can take away from the music itself (unless it's something like an opera), or they can make it too complex, cause then you have to pay attention to the vocals and all the instruments.

We had some samples to listen to in class (and follow the music and constantly draw what we heard on paper with charcoal; we all ended up with a bunch of lines that go up and down and all that stuff), and the more modern kind of songs with a beat and vocals are a lot more difficult to follow (I think we had a Pixies song?). So instrumental would be best, unless there's a tiny bit of vocals in (I'm thinking of some Zero7 songs I have).

Still, any suggestions right now would be nice, I'll try to check all of them out. =3

Ah alright, thanks for explaining it too me :)

Oh. My. God. You must use Explosions in the Sky for this, they're perfect. The following of their songs are under 6 minutes:

Welcome, Ghosts

What do you go home to?

So Long, Lonesome

And all of "The Rescue album"

There's some other stuff but it's not as good.

EDIT: Also the song "The birth and death of day" is almost 8 minutes long but it's so incredibly epic and I think it would be very well suited for this type of thing.