NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Cassette Beasts is starting to lose me...

There's a good game underneath the hood, but lots of small things are annoying as hell.

For example: Catching a mon while your team is full doesn't prompt a "do you want to take it with you"-message. It goes into storage immediately. And accessing the storage is tedious as hell...you gotta use a campfire or go into town.
Speaking of campfires and towns: You can only fast travel to towns. Makes traversal quite boring.

I did rectify these two problems by installing a mod, though...

The worst thing, though: The battles are starting to drag on and on and on. Enemy monsters have way too much exp in my opinion and type advantages are not as potent as I hoped.

Yeah, not sure how long I'll stay with this one...might be 9€ wasted ::shrug:

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You'll be playing Final Fantasy soon anyway. :p

That is correct. My copy should arrive on Thursday. :D

And until then:

chaos-final-fantasy.gif

• Haha 1

I'm assuming the Steam winter sale will start tonight. Might have to take a look at my wishlist and see what'll be worth getting for the Ally.

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm assuming the Steam winter sale will start tonight. Might have to take a look at my wishlist and see what'll be worth getting for the Ally.

Countdown

It will start soon.

Thankfully for my wallet the Steam sales aren't what they used to be (90% off of most games back in 2013). Still hoping for one or two roguelites to have a nice discount. Most importantly The Void Rains Upon Hear Heart:

Also very interested in Project Crystal:

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Countdown

It will start soon.

Thankfully for my wallet the Steam sales aren't what they used to be (90% off of most games back in 2013). Still hoping for one or two roguelites to have a nice discount. Most importantly The Void Rains Upon Hear Heart:

I really miss when Steam Sales were a massive event. Having to pay attention daily for new discounts, sometimes every 4 hours for the flash sales. These days I check on the first day, maybe get one game but leave the rest because I can probably find it cheaper elsewhere and never check back again.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I really miss when Steam Sales were a massive event. Having to pay attention daily for new discounts, sometimes every 4 hours for the flash sales.

Yup, those were the good old days. I downloaded the app just for the sales back then :D

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I can probably find it cheaper elsewhere and never check back again.

Key resellers (think of them what you will) are better more often than not.

18 hours ago, drahkon said:

Most importantly The Void Rains Upon Hear Heart

No discount, sad :(

18 hours ago, drahkon said:

Also very interested in Project Crystal

Ehem...it's called Crystal Project.
25% discount. Not too bad.

Found out that there's a demo, so I'm gonna give that a whirl later!

Decided to only buy Halls of Torment and the new Vampire Survivors DLC.

Should last me for a while :D

I ended up double dipping on Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Just something about that series that makes it so I can play it over and over again without getting bored. Installing it now on the Ally.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I ended up double dipping on Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Just something about that series that makes it so I can play it over and over again without getting bored. Installing it now on the Ally.

Do you own Mass Effect on every platform?

Also, is this place running really slow this morning? Took me ages to load this page up and reply.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do you own Mass Effect on every platform?

Also, is this place running really slow this morning? Took me ages to load this page up and reply.

Yeah running very slow for me.

I've owned the Mass Effect trilogy games on Xbox 360, PS3, PS4/5 and now PC.

• Thanks 1

Last night I found Die in the Dungeon: Origins, a free prequel to Die in the Dungeon (duh) which will be released sometime next year.

Die in the Dungeon is a deck-building, turn-based roguelite where your deck is not made out of cards, but DICE!
dicegif.gif?t=1703186631

In Die in the Dungeon, each dice represents a different action, from basic ones like attacking or healing to boosting other dice or copying their abilities.

Improve the quality of your dice, combine them and acquire powerful relics to defeat the monsters that dwell in the dungeon! Find great synergies by combining dice with unique abilities to create powerful and bizarre decks!

gameplay_v2.gif?t=1703186631

The game doesn't have Steam Deck/controller support so I had to use the trackpad and LT/RT. It works great. I was always weary of this particular control setting, but I think I'll use it more and more. This kinda makes me want to get Against the Storm now, but that's a different story.

Anyways, Die in the Dungeon: Origins is fun for what it is: An introduction to a game that needs its mechanics to be fleshed out a bit more. Some more visual cues could be very helpful, too. Right now you only know that a die has a certain property when you hover over it. For example: it can be "hollow" and cost no energy. However, if you draw two or more dice of the same colour you don't immediately know which one it is.

I'm definitely gonna play more of this and keep an eye on the full game's development. Seems like something I could spend ages with if done right :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Gee! Wonder where that game got its inspiration from… :indeed:

And why is that a problem?

Edited by drahkon

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

And why is that a problem?

Never said it was.  I like how brazen it is with its idea theft actually :laughing:

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Never said it was.  I like how brazen it is with its idea theft actually :laughing:

I'm happy I'm not sharing your jaded view on video games.

On 26/12/2023 at 10:53 AM, Happenstance said:

Spent ages downloading the 100 gigs for Mass Effect only for the latest bios update for my Ally to fuck the controls for the system. Touch screen worked thankfully but nothing else so after trying every solution I could find, including rolling back the bios I had to do a full cloud recovery. Fixed the issue but I'm now waiting for Mass Effect to redownload again :cry::laughing:

On 12/23/2023 at 1:45 PM, drahkon said:

Halls of Torment

Been playing this quite a bit. 7.3 hours according to Steam.

It's great. I think much better than Vampire Survivors.
You can aim, you can find equipment, bosses are better. I like it :p

It's still in early access so more content is coming, but for now I'm happy to replay the 4 available stages with the 9 available characters :D

Just now, Happenstance said:

I might take a look

It's only 4 bucks right now, but there's also a free demo/prologue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Shouldn't have bought Monster Train for my Steam Deck :(

Even though I played it on PC years ago, it got me hooked again.

FUCK!

Edited by drahkon

Just thought I'd make an announcement that due to some niggling itch, I've gotten back into playing Hitman 3. I think I caught one video of one of the last levels in the earlier game which I could never do stealthily. But have been re-enjoying the sniper challenges. Although for some reason it doesn't seem to have saved my progress from the previous 2 games. Oh well, I'll just go through them again.

Posted (edited)

I literally can't think of anywhere else to post this.

From Sakurai's latest video...

YtJMaUY.jpeg

WTF is this controller meant to be!?

I... can't post this controller image anywhere else!  It literally hurts my brain to look at it.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1