NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

You have to really practice the shooting, because you're not going to hit anyone if you don't anticipate where they're going to be by the time your bullets reach them. The hit detection isn't like in Call of Duty or Battlefield where if someone is in your crossheirs and you press the trigger, it is guaranteed to hit them, but is rather based on calculating actual distances in the physical space.

Secondly, the fun in the game isn't about killing as many dudes as possible, its about traversing the landscapes at huge speeds, and coordinating team attacks to overwhelm enemy defences around their flags. I've already pumped about 20 hours into the game and I've only had it for a week.

You have to really practice the shooting, because you're not going to hit anyone if you don't anticipate where they're going to be by the time your bullets reach them. The hit detection isn't like in Call of Duty or Battlefield where if someone is in your crossheirs and you press the trigger, it is guaranteed to hit them, but is rather based on calculating actual distances in the physical space.

Call of duty, granted but laying that claim at BF. Have you played it?

I haven't played 3, and I know that in Bad Comapany there are things such as shot spread and bullet drop to account for so what I said wasn't wholly accurate. However it's the same in Tribes; some weapons are aim and shoot, while with most you have to lead the target by some distance. Nevertheless, you know what I mean ;)

I haven't played 3, and I know that in Bad Comapany there are things such as shot spread and bullet drop to account for so what I said wasn't wholly accurate. However it's the same in Tribes; some weapons are aim and shoot, while with most you have to lead the target by some distance. Nevertheless, you know what I mean ;)

Heh yeah. Just wanted to highlight that CoD requires less skill with aim than Battlefield. I might try Tribes if it's like BF and the guns are interesting.

The guns aren't the interesting aspect - they seem like fairly standard futuristic sci-fi fare, and the shooting aspects are really very twitch based, more akin to traditional PC shooters than something like Battlefield 3 which has a more considered pace.

The best thing about Tribes is the feeling you get from actually maneuvering around the game space, launching yourself off hills and trying to gain as much speed as possible so you can grab the enemy flag before they even realise you're on your way.

The guns are actually more like oldskool shooters like Unreal. The gameplay though.. Is a whole different matter. There’s nothing like it. I actually like the skiing.. Just not combined with the shooting. [it makes for one embarrassing combination]. The skiing feels great, but it makes it much harder to shoot, but simultaneously, it increases your chances for survival. The maps aren’t really interesting, but that’s because it’s geared to a whole different gameplay than I’m used to. There are no real urban (albeit alien) settings, it’s only hills with perhaps a large building in the middle. They’re large open arenas, there’s no room for flankers/sneakers like me. That said.. I have yet to play CTF. Maybe vehicles make things more interesting, and the technician will probably be the next class I will unlock.

As I thought, I find playing a technician in CTF much more enjoyable, camping out by the flag, repairing the generator if needed, a support role. But I seem to get more kills that way too :rolleyes:. I still don't think the game is great though.

I refer you to this as all the reasons I really enjoy the game

Evidently, it's best played with a very well coordinated team with a diverse class makeup that are all communicating over ventrilo, and that's something I'd really like to set up, if people on here are interested at all, and which shouldn't really be a problem since the game is totally free to play. At the moment though, I'm having more fun than I can describe understanding the contours of every map, and skiing across the landscape at full speed.

Because We May Indie Sale Kicks Off Next Week Across Steam, iOS & More

Indie fans rejoice! To celebrate certain retail platforms - such as Steam, Apple's App Stores, and Google Play - offering developers the chance to enjoy freedom and flexibility when it comes to pricing their own games, a massive indie sale across those platforms will be conducted from May 24th through to June 1st.

Check out the blurb from the official site for Because We May below:

We believe that developers should have the freedom to price their games how they like, without interference from the online stores that sell the games. Why? Because it allows us to promote our games more freely, as we are doing here! We rely on the ability to promote our games for our livelihood and control over pricing is an important tool for this purpose.

For the last week of May (May 24 through June 1) our games will be deeply discounted to celebrate online stores that give us control over pricing: The App Store, Google Play, Steam, and a few others.

Here's a list of the titles that have signed up so far for the Steam initiative. Be sure to visit the official page for Because We May to check out other deals going down. The cut off point for participation submissions is May 22nd, so if you're an indie dev and you want to get involved join here.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaa AAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome

Anomaly Warzone Earth

Avadon: The Black Fortress

BIT.TRIP BEAT

BIT.TRIP RUNNER

Braid

CAVE STORY

Cogs

Costume Quest

DEFCON

Darwinia

DeathSpank: The Baconing

Double Fine Bundle

EDGE

Eets

Eufloria

Frozen Synapse

Frozen Synapse: Soundtrack Edition

Gish

Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony

Jamestown Deluxe Pack

Lugaru HD

Metal Drift

Multiwinia

NightSky

NyxQuest

Osmos

Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack (Episode One & Two)

Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Episode One

Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Episode Two

Psychonauts

Q.U.B.E.

RUSH

Scoregasm

Snuggle Truck

Stacking

Super Meat Boy

Swords & Soldiers

The Binding of Isaac

The Dejobaan Complete Pack

The Wonderful End of the World

Toki Tori

Uplink

Vessel

Zen Bound 2

If you're one of those gamers who keeps complaining about a lack of decent games or grumbles about "too many shooters" or whines about being bored by the industry, then take a long look at this list. And then shut up...because you're talking bollocks.

http://www.dealspwn.com/indie-sale-kicks-week-steam-ios-102482#more-102482

Anyone go Dead Island? It's like £6 on Steam right now. May get it if anyone's up for some coop zombie slaying.

Holy shit Tribes Ascend double XP weekend. Get it while it's hot. And nerdy.

I'd just like to say, while I'm here, fuck you all for getting Torchlight 2 with no console port planned. You fucks.

Does anyone want the Counter Strike beta? I seem to have one to gift.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ediT: Now that I have calmed down over the missed oppurtunity, how is the beta?

Edited by Deathjam

Is anyone else enjoying the Steam Summer Sale.

So far my purchases are:

Star Wars Republic Commando (40% off)

Star Wars Starfighter (40% off)

Skyrim (50% off)

All New Vegas DLC (75% off)

I almost got Skyrim and New Vegas DLC on day 1 as they were ones I was going to buy next time they were on offer, but I decided to hang on to see if they appeared in daily offers. And sure enough, they did.

Im still waiting for quite a few of the things I want to come on daily or flash sales but so far ive bought:

Trine 2

Monkey Island 1+2 special editions

Fallout New Vegas

Batman: Arkham City and Two Worlds 2.

Anyone know if kingdoms: reckoning of amalur or w/e its called has been on sale yet? It's 9.99 on origin but really don't EA to have anymore of my money than is necessary.

Playing Skyrim yesterday was great. I've gone a different direction since reaching Whiterun and done/encountered maps I've never done/encountered before. I'm also going to ignore the main and civil war quests for a good long while. Just be an adventurer and not the Dragonborn (I've done up to the Greybeards calling you).

Plus the mod system is brilliant, subscribing to them in Steam. There are a lot of options. I've gone for ones that enhance graphics further (Ultra Quality and the High Resolution Textures DLC isn't enough), and various additions that don't seem game-breaking: extra companion commands, build your own home, faster horses (balanced by disabling fast travel so I don't get tempted), more animals and stuff like that.

And it still runs extremely smooth (my gripe with PC games on a laptop was that it always felt there was some kind of "lag" - Skyrim runs incredibly smoothly and feels great with a 360 controller).

I finally finished Fallout 3 today which I enjoyed, for some reason I could never get into it on the PS3 but this time I really did. Bought New Vegas this morning so I'll leave that to download overnight and get started on it tomorrow.