NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dazzybee

Ngamer reviews

Anyone got the mag yet? What are the review scores for the games. I subscribed last week, but it starts from NEXT month not this!!!

Thank you. Obvously Metroid is the one I want but very interested about everything else too

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 91%

MySims (Wii) - 90%

MySims DS - 58%

Super Paper Mario - 88%

Dewy's Adventure - 65%

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core - 84%

Forever Blue - 88%

Madden NFL '08 - 80%

Sonic Rush Adventure - 72%

Taiko No Tatsujin - 81%

Worms: Open Warfare 2 - 85%

DK Jungle Climber - 84%

Race Driver Create & Race - 80%

Jam Sessions - 81%

Otana No DS Kao Training (Adult Face Training with Camera) - 55%

Flash Focus - 77%

Heroes of Mana - 76%

Jikkyou Poweful Pro Yakyuu - 80%

Slide Adventure - 60%

You don't want the Roundup reviews do you?

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 91%

Oh fuck, not a 5th game for me to get between now and Christmas. :(

I don't have that much money...

Why did Deweys get such a low score? And Metroid got the same score as Red Steel? Hmmmmm......

My Sims seems to be getting great reviews doesnt it?

This thread piqued my (ever thinking) interest levels....Because I am older (24!) and regards myself as a bit of an oldie I was wondering...

Do the younger generation of UK Nintendo gamers (as well as older readers) still regard NGamer as the most honest and trustworthy publication when it comes to games previews/reviews?

They've certainly had some good opinions in their time and they have always maintained that a game will be honestly scored. The Star Fox Adventures debate was a good one back in the day (Especially when they made a cut-out 98% (?) for those who disagreed with the low score they gave it).

I loved their Mario 64 review when it closed saying that it was a treat to be born in the same timeline as the game was released, and told you to thank your parents. They summed it up as 'tsfum tsfum' or something similar as words were impossible to describe how good it was. And OoT was the Citizen Kane of videogames. They certainly garnered my respect as a reader through their honesty and genuine-ness. But do people now regard message boards/IGN/N-Europe etc as a better indication of a game?

I love NGamers reviews and I STILL trust them 99.9%. Do you?

If you're 24 then I'm an older gamer too (28). I LOVED SuperPlay, that was amazing, I still have the first issue. N64 mag was also awesome and NGC was great but I have to be honest, it's declined. I've bought the odd ngamer but I've alwaysbeen a little disappointed, the reviews aren't brilliantly written like they used to and it doesn't have its old charm. I actually think revolution is the best mag now, even though its the only nintendo one I havent subscribed too (well they should have awesome deals that future have then). I like the magazine, just dont love it, and i think the DVDs are pretty shit too.

And, although I havent played Metroid yet, Im thinking it could be insane that they gave it the same score as Red Steel!!!

Why did Deweys get such a low score ?

I wouldn't mind knowing this too. Read the review of the import version in n-revolution mag and they seemed fairly impressed by it (think it was 8.5 or something).

Could it be due to the length as supposedly it is only supposed to last around 10 hours ? (despite having reasons to replay it a la Elebits).

NGamers Red Steel review lowered them in my eyes.

They are very brutal though, but consistently so.

*shocked by me posting in the wii boards*

I remember the big games getting 4 pages worth of reviews. And it was ALL interesting. Now it's moer like a 'flash' preview with a score popped on the end for good measure. I liked it when you bought a magazine and it was thick lol. Kind of like EDGE. (Yet that is only thick because of it's heavy focus on job openings in the industry.)

I erally don't know if I like EDGE anymore. They seem more interested in talking in-depth about tech and not about the "fun" of games. Maybe I'm jaded when in comes to EDGE. I bought it for years but decided that nearly £5 was too much on, mostly; adverts. I think when it comes to looking for jobs in the industry I'll start buying it again.

i can barely understand a word in edge... Sometimes it's just jibberish but i trust their reviews i don't think they were ever wrong about a game.

NGamers Red Steel review lowered them in my eyes.

Yea. I loved Red Steel, but it isn't that good. I trust all their non-world-exclusive-sub-90% reviews, though.

I see some of you saying that you "trust" reviews. Do you mean in regards to that they were "bribed" to give a specific game a high score, or is it something else? Can you explain that please? And why is it impossible that they think that Red Steel was worthy of 90% (Metroid Prime 3 got 1% more, so, they didn't score them the same), just because some of you didn't regard it as highly?

I see some of you saying that you "trust" reviews. Do you mean in regards to that they were "bribed" to give a specific game a high score, or is it something else? Can you explain that please? And why is it impossible that they think that Red Steel was worthy of 90% (Metroid Prime 3 got 1% more, so, they didn't score them the same), just because some of you didn't regard it as highly?

what?...red steel isn't 90% good end of story.

No I think the trust is in how much their opinion is the same as yours - I do it in all reviews - music, film, books, games, you see who has a similar opinion to you (learnt over time after readin reviews) and you learn to trust them based on past experience - we're not saying they're not valid opinions, just saying that I dont agree with (or do agree depending on how it is) so I dont trust their opinions in so far as I will have a similar opinion. Theres a lot of games and a lot of choices, mst of us cant play everything so we need some guide on what to buy - style, content, developer are all factors - I reveiw you trust is high up there too

I definitely prefer NGamer to ONM, which is awful. NGamer's reviews tend to be frank, and I love the style.

I trusted N64 a lot back in the day. I began buying N64 Mag in September 1997 (I had the N64 since May or June) and I kept buying every month until about 2001 and I trusted it highly, meaning their opinions many times were similar to mine. And I loved reading their "bad reviews". Man, when they thought a game was bad, they would say so! And in hilarious ways.

I got the Gamecube only in 2005 so I had little experience with NGC Mag but I still bought a few and saw it really was in essence the same mag still.

NGamer sadly I never read a single copy, I never found it for sale here. But anyway, it's not the 90's anymore and I have broadband now, so I don't really need magazines anymore. Back in the day, magazines were all I had. That and the few friends that also owned Nintendo systems as opposed to Sega and Sony. The world has truly changed a lot in these past few years.

Sweet banana, then I'm ancient too! I'll be turning 26 soon! Oh well, I'm not growing older, I'm growing wiser. :wink:

I like NGamer a lot. As a matter a fact, at this point it's my favourite Nintendo-mag. When n-Revolution (or Revolution as it was first known) launched, it was on top, but the mag has fallen from grace since then. They are picking themselves up very well, though, so they could be on the rise to reclaim the top spot.

I buy ONM sometimes, but well... it's an official mag, for better and for worse. They claim to have completely independent opinions. Too bad this isn't reflected in the magazine itself. Just check this month's issue: the hot 100. They are dead-enthousiastic about every game! And trust me, there are some pretty crap-looking games inthere. You feel Nintendo's hot breath in their necks. And the 'Ask Nintendo'-section is a joke. Apart form the obvious PR-inspired non-replies, two of these ended with "Check the online service regularly for updates and surprises'. So spoke the PR-drone.

In the end, this is my current preference: NGamer > nRevolution > ONM

NGamer has a good sense of humour and doesn't spare bad games, though they sometimes have very odd reviews (cue Red Steel). Nevertheless, it's the most enjoyable mag to read and with the most content inside, methinks. And oddly enough, they seem to have more knowledge about the world of Nintendo then ONM itself.

I never trust reviews from one source, though. I check all the mags (Edge and Games are usually pretty spot-on) and Metacritics and Gamerankings. But truth be told, it usually ends with what my heart tells me to.

I trust NGamer 100%. The Twilight Princess Wii fiasco only strengthened my trust, and I respected them for defying Miyamoto who tried to come out and say that NGamer were lying. And check who reviewed Red Steel, it might have been a newbie reviewer.

Sign in to follow this